Ford EcoBoost Carbon Buildup Issue Solved Via Walnut Blasting

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The VW 2.0 TSI is pretty famous for getting misfires "eventually" due to buildup. Over in their world the group knowledge is you can get it done preventatively every 60,000 miles or wait for misfires. I made it nearly to 100,000 miles before I got misfires on mine. No longer have the vehicle - 2009 A4.
yeah - as the one article I posted mentions that some engines are more prone to having issues and other variables include how the vehicle is driven and maintained. Maybe one day Ford will go to port and DI on the 2.3T and it will mostly be moot.

Maybe a Ford mechanic or ex like Frenchy can weigh in on the utilization of the walnut blasting machine at the Ford dealership, I doubt that it was a 3 shift operation.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The VW 2.0 TSI is pretty famous for getting misfires "eventually" due to buildup. Over in their world the group knowledge is you can get it done preventatively every 60,000 miles or wait for misfires. I made it nearly to 100,000 miles before I got misfires on mine. No longer have the vehicle - 2009 A4.
Being value minded with autos - I'm not doubting that I have crud slowly accumulating on my intakes , but for me no worries until it's a noticeable problem - like rough idling, misfires or drop in mpgs , but I'd only engage a shop that does blasting as a fixed charge and not on the amount of crud built up, so I'd get my monies worth from the service.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also - if you are familiar with the VW 2.0 carbon buildup - did you see owners indicating that they had the other problems the youtube vids bring up - like crud dropping onto piston rings, causing excessive oil consumption causing engine destruction and like the valves getting getting so hot they also dropped onto the piston and destroyed the engine ? I mean some of these vids post this stuff and almost make it seem it gonna happen to your engine unless you act, classic defintion of FUD.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Maybe one day Ford will go to port and DI on the 2.3T and it will mostly be moot.
Ford already has. The all new 2.3T in the new Mustang has port and DI injection. Will only be a matter of time before that technology will be in our Rangers.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
I drive like a lunatic and as I said, most of mine is in the city My MPG is at around 17.2. That's a pretty good app there and yeah, I read the thread.
I think @Msfitoy mentioned he was going to stick a scope to look at his valves. Since his is one of the highest mileage Rangers on here, it should provide valuable data.

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
If the vehicle is operated almost exclusively for highway driving, and doesn’t see any cold start short trip driving < 35 mile intervals, is this even an issue? I know someone with a Mini that needed this done every 30-40k, but almost all the driving was stop and go and short trips.

BDUb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL 4x4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My father has had 5 different ecoboosts with varying mileage. From 44k all the way up to 175k, all with tunes and no catch can. Never had any issues with this carbon buildup issue. So I have a really hard time thinking this is necessary. My 2019 ranger has 60k and no issues as of yet and my 2020 explorer has 30k. If this truly is an issue I know of no one that has had this issue.

Also, how does carbon get on the back side of the intake valve if fresh air is the only thing touching that portion? I understand if it was on the exhaust valve.

meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
My father has had 5 different ecoboosts with varying mileage. From 44k all the way up to 175k, all with tunes and no catch can. Never had any issues with this carbon buildup issue. So I have a really hard time thinking this is necessary. My 2019 ranger has 60k and no issues as of yet and my 2020 explorer has 30k. If this truly is an issue I know of no one that has had this issue.

Also, how does carbon get on the back side of the intake valve if fresh air is the only thing touching that portion? I understand if it was on the exhaust valve.
The carbon and other junk comes from the PCV system.