First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
Timothy, Yes that number would be ok for the GCWR. it is not that simple. You might be overloaded for payload and the Ranger GVWR. I encourage you to use the calculator I linked to provide you with a better estimate if weighing is not an option. Just some things to think about:

The dry weight you listed is 5204. That is an average based on a stripped down model you are considering. I would guess the weight is closer to 5500 lbs.

The tongue weight of 626 is an average for dry weight. Add to that at a minimum of 100 lbs for propane and battery that sit on the tongue. You are approaching the Rangers max of 750 lbs before you even put anything else in the trailer.

Lastly, look at you Yellow and white sticker on your drivers side door frame of your truck. It will list. The actual payload of your truck. From that number subtract the tongue weight of 750 and any options you put on the truck (tonneau covers, lifts, bed liners, etc. The number you have left is what is available for people, your weight distribution hitch (100 lbs) and any other thing you put in the truck.

The payload for my lariat is 1466lbs fo instance. If I subtract 750 tongue weight, 100 lbs options, 100 lbs WD hitch, that give me 516 lbs for people and cargo, not that much.

Thank you. I have your calculator saved. So on those stickers do I take the GVWR minus the yellow stickers combine weight should not exceed weight? I don't see curb weight on the sticker.

Lol I am just going to a weight station at lunch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I have your calculator saved. So on those stickers do I take the GVWR minus the yellow stickers combine weight should not exceed weight? I don't see curb weight on the sticker.

Lol I am just going to a weight station at lunch.
The yellow and white sticker on your truck is your payload that is the maximum you can load your truck regardless of published curb weight. It is based on your truck with options (not published curb weight) when it left the factory. For instance, my truck has a published curb weight of 4441 lbs (like yours) and a GVWR of 6010. Subtracting the two I should have a payload of 1569 lbs. However, because of my as-built truck weight, my payload sticker is 1466 lbs over 100 lbs less than the book numbers say.

Weighing your truck is a great idea.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Timothy, Yes that number would be ok for the GCWR. it is not that simple. You might be overloaded for payload and the Ranger GVWR. I encourage you to use the calculator I linked to provide you with a better estimate if weighing is not an option. Just some things to think about:

The dry weight you listed is 5204. That is an average based on a stripped down model you are considering. I would guess the weight is closer to 5500 lbs.

The tongue weight of 626 is an average for dry weight. Add to that at a minimum of 100 lbs for propane and battery that sit on the tongue. You are approaching the Rangers max of 750 lbs before you even put anything else in the trailer.

Lastly, look at you Yellow and white sticker on your drivers side door frame of your truck. It will list. The actual payload of your truck. From that number subtract the tongue weight of 750 and any options you put on the truck (tonneau covers, lifts, bed liners, etc. The number you have left is what is available for people, your weight distribution hitch (100 lbs) and any other thing you put in the truck.

The payload for my lariat is 1466lbs fo instance. If I subtract 750 tongue weight, 100 lbs options, 100 lbs WD hitch, that give me 516 lbs for people and cargo, not that much.
and if you have four people at 150 pounds each in the truck, then you have exceeded that Ranger’s payload capacity.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The reason that experienced trailer towing drivers are down playing the Ford and RV figures is because there are instances where the road, weather conditions, semi traffic, can get a maxed out vehicle in trouble. When a speeding semi passes you the air first pushes your trailer to the side which pushes your truck to the left. Add in a bridge (which never line up with the road) you will find that the tail will be wagging the dog. When you get on these bad roads that are so uneven that your truck is going down when the trailer is going up and the reverse happens then you will be happy that you erred on the light side of the marketing figures. Estimating weight usually ends on the light side. Not to many adults only weight 150 lbs.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The yellow and white sticker on your truck is your payload that is the maximum you can load your truck regardless of published curb weight. It is based on your truck with options (not published curb weight) when it left the factory. For instance, my truck has a published curb weight of 4441 lbs (like yours) and a GVWR of 6010. Subtracting the two I should have a payload of 1569 lbs. However, because of my as-built truck weight, my payload sticker is 1466 lbs over 100 lbs less than the book numbers say.

Weighing your truck is a great idea.

Sorry to keep asking questions. So more math...I found a trailer with a tongue weight of 620. I am guessing (I will get exact numbers later) there are 2 empty propane tanks from the picture. I found to fiill them up you add 17 pounds each. I am going to go with Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery. It's 27 pounds for a battery. I guess I will just use 1 Battey and bring a generator only if I go off grid. If I am at a RV park with hook ups that should be ok.

I plan on ordering a equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. So I have a total of 681 pounds on the tongue and the max for the ranger is 750 pounds.

Except one thing....ugh If you have to add the weight of the weight distribution hitch it puts me over. So if I don't use it I'm good. Because that sucker weights 90-100 pounds.

Deleted member 1634

The reason that experienced trailer towing drivers are down playing the Ford and RV figures is because there are instances where the road, weather conditions, semi traffic, can get a maxed out vehicle in trouble. When a speeding semi passes you the air first pushes your trailer to the side which pushes your truck to the left. Add in a bridge (which never line up with the road) you will find that the tail will be wagging the dog. When you get on these bad roads that are so uneven that your truck is going down when the trailer is going up and the reverse happens then you will be happy that you erred on the light side of the marketing figures. Estimating weight usually ends on the light side. Not to many adults only weight 150 lbs.
I think that's the key. Under perfect circumstances we can all max out on GVW, GCVW, and tow that 7500lbs the truck is rated to. But you are hardly ever, if at all, experiencing ideal conditions. It always helps to have that margin of error and factor it into your thoughts. The stuff you're looking at may be just fine for you. Others would feel uncomfortable doing it. It's all a personal preference and a balancing of wants and needs. We all just hope you take those things into consideration, which it sounds like you are. So kudos to you OP.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that's the key. Under perfect circumstances we can all max out on GVW, GCVW, and tow that 7500lbs the truck is rated to. But you are hardly ever, if at all, experiencing ideal conditions. It always helps to have that margin of error and factor it into your thoughts. The stuff you're looking at may be just fine for you. Others would feel uncomfortable doing it. It's all a personal preference and a balancing of wants and needs. We all just hope you take those things into consideration, which it sounds like you are. So kudos to you OP.

I keep trying to find lighter and lighter trailers. I am listening to everyone. I have made several cuts. I went from 5850 pounds to 5146 ( I had the dealer go and take a picture of the label and it says 5146). I also reduced the size from 28 to 23-24. I had a shorter one, but I was told it's better to go with less weight and not as much length.

https://www.bestrv.com/New-Inventory-2020-Keystone-RV-Trailer-Bullet-243BHSWE-8160659?ref=list

Deleted member 1634

I keep trying to find lighter and lighter trailers. I am listening to everyone. I have made several cuts. I went from 5850 pounds to 5146 ( I had the dealer go and take a picture of the label and it says 5146). I also reduced the size from 28 to 23-24. I had a shorter one, but I was told it's better to go with less weight and not as much length.

https://www.bestrv.com/New-Inventory-2020-Keystone-RV-Trailer-Bullet-243BHSWE-8160659?ref=list
I commend you for actually adapting to what people are saying. Not many people would actually do that. I think in the end, take the things everyone says with a grain of salt. Everyone thinks their opinion and experience is the right one and end all be all (myself included, we're all guilty of being the hero of our own story). Take what we say as guidance, but not necessarily cold hard facts (except maybe the numbers and Phil haha), and try things and create your own experience, which it sounds like you plan on doing. So again, kudos to you.

Robanno

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger
Here's my story. Have a 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland and was using it to tow a Retro 189r. About 3750 dry, and 360 toungue wt, 20ft box. Towed it about 4k miles last year and it did just fine. But, paid a lot of money for the car and did not want to use it for that purpose. Needed a new truck anyway and did a lot of research and the Ranger seemed to fit.
But, if my trailer was any bigger, would have probably either sold it for a smaller, lighter trailer or purchased a bigger truck.
Not because I think the truck could not handle it, but because if something should go wrong with me and my wife has to drive it home, could she or would she be able to handle it. This is about the right size for us and our situation. I know something else to think about.
Thanks Rob

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's my story. Have a 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland and was using it to tow a Retro 189r. About 3750 dry, and 360 toungue wt, 20ft box. Towed it about 4k miles last year and it did just fine. But, paid a lot of money for the car and did not want to use it for that purpose. Needed a new truck anyway and did a lot of research and the Ranger seemed to fit.
But, if my trailer was any bigger, would have probably either sold it for a smaller, lighter trailer or purchased a bigger truck.
Not because I think the truck could not handle it, but because if something should go wrong with me and my wife has to drive it home, could she or would she be able to handle it. This is about the right size for us and our situation. I know something else to think about.
Thanks Rob

Lol I never let me wife drive my trucks. Trust me more dangerous then any trailer. Not joking she scares the hell out of me

srgredranger

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Setup tech / Goodyear
Vehicle Showcase
Like everyone said, you don’t want to be at max tow , you want to leave yourself a comfort zone . He is my trailer #s

37A7F22A-557F-4738-9022-7A5475BB841E.jpeg

26635D5A-3936-436A-B92E-751F38A2557D.jpeg

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to keep asking questions. So more math...I found a trailer with a tongue weight of 620. I am guessing (I will get exact numbers later) there are 2 empty propane tanks from the picture. I found to fiill them up you add 17 pounds each. I am going to go with Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery. It's 27 pounds for a battery. I guess I will just use 1 Battey and bring a generator only if I go off grid. If I am at a RV park with hook ups that should be ok.

I plan on ordering a equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. So I have a total of 681 pounds on the tongue and the max for the ranger is 750 pounds.

Except one thing....ugh If you have to add the weight of the weight distribution hitch it puts me over. So if I don't use it I'm good. Because that sucker weights 90-100 pounds.
The weight of the weight distribution hitch counts against payload (please don't forget about payload) and not tongue weight.

However, the trailer is a lever and the wheels the fulcrum. Anything you add in front of the wheels in the trailer will add to the tongue weight. (clothes, food, pots and pans, adult beverages, etc) That includes anything you add to the front storage bay (tools, toys, chairs, etc.). So 681 lbs with absolutely nothing in the trailer. And you will be so close on payload you can't put any supplies in the truck. I don't mean to be a naysayer but just presenting you with the facts

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I will
The weight of the weight distribution hitch counts against payload (please don't forget about payload) and not tongue weight.

However, the trailer is a lever and the wheels the fulcrum. Anything you add in front of the wheels in the trailer will add to the tongue weight. (clothes, food, pots and pans, adult beverages, etc) That includes anything you add to the front storage bay (tools, toys, chairs, etc.). So 681 lbs with absolutely nothing in the trailer. And you will be so close on payload you can't put any supplies in the truck. I don't mean to be a naysayer but just presenting you with the facts

I found out the batteries and tanks weight was already included in the 620 number. Also I was wrong on the weight distribution hitch (thank you amazon for being wrong). I was told more like 620+30. So now I am at 650 pounds. If I swap out the junkie batteries with good ones I can take off a bunch. Stock batteries weight 54 pounds each and there is two. A Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery is 27 pounds and I need one. So minus 108 pounds from 650 is 542 pounds for hitch weight. Then add 1 Battle Born and we are at 569 pounds. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong. Please do!

Also I am going to double check and make sure they are not lying about the hitch weight.

Edit: I dont think the tanks are full so I might need to add 17 pounds x 2. That puts me at 603 pounds with almost 150 pounds to spare.

Found this to save weight.

https://www.firstindustrialsupplies...7UmpDA30tY6VuHdWg_9FkRF3vayVWcKxoCyM8QAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I hesitate to bring this up as it may sow confusion but that 750lb max tongue weight rating on the receiver hitch does not apply when using it with a weight distributing hitch. (Internet searching is your friend) The 750 lb max applies when used with a conventional hitch, when used with a weight distributing hitch it will be higher. The WD hitch will take some weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle and distribute that weight to the tow vehicle front axle and, most folks don't realize this, to the trailer axles.
A knowledgeable person at Ford may be able to give you the WD rating of the receiver, otherwise check the ratings of other comparable receivers.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hesitate to bring this up as it may sow confusion but that 750lb max tongue weight rating on the receiver hitch does not apply when using it with a weight distributing hitch. (Internet searching is your friend) The 750 lb max applies when used with a conventional hitch, when used with a weight distributing hitch it will be higher. The WD hitch will take some weight off the rear axle of the tow vehicle and distribute that weight to the tow vehicle front axle and, most folks don't realize this, to the trailer axles.
A knowledgeable person at Ford may be able to give you the WD rating of the receiver, otherwise check the ratings of other comparable receivers.
Lol I know that, but I did want to get my head bit off.
Sponsored