First time towing a Travel Trailer (before i buy)

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat 4wd
Don't go over the recommended weight. When you, your wife, or your kid looks outside and sees that trailer trying to pass you, it will be too late to reconsider your purchase. Worse, your truck and trailer will take up both lanes and a shoulder as you serpentine down the road trying (failing?) to stop.
I am trying to not got over 5200lbs gross. Currently she wants on that weights 5800. We don't have any cargo really. We are going to places with full hook ups also. I did a calculation and since there is only 2 adults and 1 child it's not much. I was told to use about 100lbs per person for a 2 night stay. We are really only going on short 2 hour drives.

Also the tongue weight is 520 pounds. So talking with my friend who tows. He said take the 5800 trailer, then add 500 pounds for gear. Plus 75 pounds for the generator. He also said since I don't have to carry waste water (the park has sewer) I should be good. He said don't top off the water if you are going somewhere with water. So 500 pound is worse case. So I am at 6275 pounds and since it's a 23ft trailer I should be good. He said just make sure you have the right hitch. I know some people will say that's too much, but after the video below I am not as worried.

Sponsored

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I am trying to not got over 5200lbs gross. Currently she wants on that weights 5800. We don't have any cargo really. We are going to places with full hook ups also. I did a calculation and since there is only 2 adults and 1 child it's not much. I was told to use about 100lbs per person for a 2 night stay. We are really only going on short 2 hour drives.

Also the tongue weight is 520 pounds. So talking with my friend who tows. He said take the 5800 trailer, then add 500 pounds for gear. Plus 75 pounds for the generator. He also said since I don't have to carry waste water (the park has sewer) I should be good. He said don't top off the water if you are going somewhere with water. So 500 pound is worse case. So I am at 6275 pounds and since it's a 23ft trailer I should be good. He said just make sure you have the right hitch. I know some people will say that's too much, but after the video below I am not as worried.

Can you do it? We are all big enough for long pants and thus responsible for our own actions and the consequences of our decisions. Driving without seat belts, driving without headlights at dusk, overloading a vehicle, & etc. all impact the driver, the passengers and others who get in the way when these actions come a cropper. Dead is dead.

I wouldn't place my family at risk, nor would I place you and your family at risk. "LIVE within your means."

Respectfully,
KP75

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you do it? We are all big enough for long pants and thus responsible for our own actions and the consequences of our decisions. Driving without seat belts, driving without headlights at dusk, overloading a vehicle, & etc. all impact the driver, the passengers and others who get in the way when these actions come a cropper. Dead is dead.

I wouldn't place my family at risk, nor would I place you and your family at risk. "LIVE within your means."

Respectfully,
KP75
You are too funny. If the truck can only tow 3500lbs was does Ford say 7500lbs?. I see people with F250's, those weigh in at tops 7500 pounds. They tow 24,000lbs, I think they are crazy too. You are towing 4 x your own weight. If it could not do what the promise they could be sued and forced to take them all back.

On a serious note, I got half the people says its ok and the other its not. I am trying to find a middle ground. I would not of bought this truck if I could only tow 3500lbs. I bought it because it could tow up to 7500lbs. I plan on trying to tow 6,000 pounds if I get the smaller trailer. I called a ford engineer and spoke to them. They have no reason to up sale since I already own the truck. I was told the truck can safely tow 7500 pounds and they build a lot extra room in it, that they left out for safety reasons. If the engine could not tow that you could sue the hell out of them. As long as you are under weight on everything, if it blows up, they have to pay the bill. Please dont take this the wrong way, but I dont get why Ford would sell a truck that they say can tow 7,500 pounds (yes legally it has to do this, I have sued and won against a manufacturer before) it people are saying it can only tow 3500 pounds safely.

I plan on making the rv dealership let me try it before I buy it (tow it around the parking lot). I saw that video above and looked at the specs. I knew I wanted a trailer that weight around 5,000lbs and thought it would be safe since its way less then 7,500lbs. Then I got people who say why did you buy this truck if you want to tow. Well because I also want to park and I hate trying to fit a big truck in my work parking lot. I hate trying to fit everywhere you go. So I bought a mid size pickup that says it can tow 7,500 pounds. I dont understand want people think it can not do that. I also get if I was towing everyday then yes, but I am towing 8 times tops a year. Also I mean this respectfully too, please dont take any offense. I am just trying to understand. If I am towing 5,000 pounds and its thats 2500 pounds less the Ford says is safe and Ford is also says that it can tow more, but for safety reason that say no. Then people say Fords safety is not enough so cut that number in half, I am like really.....half. I dont think its living wild by towing less then the manual says by 25%. Sorry I just dont get it. The weight is good according to the manual, tongue weight is good, Is it trailer length. Because if so I got 50% who say stay under 15ft and that other says stay under 25tf. I went with 23ft.

Sorry for the rambling. Also I am sorry if I said anything offensive.

Last edited:

KingsPoint75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I indicated "don't go over the recommended weight." Ford lists the recommended weight.

If I misunderstood what seemed to be an escalating upward weight spiral, I apologize.
KP75

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Today's trucks tow ratings are in accordance with an SAE standard. This came into effect just a few years ago. Prior to to the implementation of this standard the manufacturers set tow ratings according to their own company standards. This is why some folks still advise decreasing the rating by X amount. This is no longer necessary.
As was stated previously the 7500 lb tow rating is one thing, but what you really need to be aware of is the Gross Combination Weight Rating. It is a rating for the total weight of the truck and trailer. See the Ford Trailer Towing guide which explains all of this.
As an FYI why do you need the generator weight penalty if you are only camping at full hookup sites? I've had campers for years and none of them had nor did I ever need a generator.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today's trucks tow ratings are in accordance with an SAE standard. This came into effect just a few years ago. Prior to to the implementation of this standard the manufacturers set tow ratings according to their own company standards. This is why some folks still advise decreasing the rating by X amount. This is no longer necessary.
As was stated previously the 7500 lb tow rating is one thing, but what you really need to be aware of is the Gross Combination Weight Rating. It is a rating for the total weight of the truck and trailer. See the Ford Trailer Towing guide which explains all of this.
As an FYI why do you need the generator weight penalty if you are only camping at full hookup sites? I've had campers for years and none of them had nor did I ever need a generator.

Thank you for explaining. I found a fun way to figure out what I can tow. Called a trailer rental company. Trust me they will not rent you something you can't tow. They would be liable.

I was buying a generator because I wanted one for my house (backup), just figured it just in case I did bring it. I have solar and having them add the option for a generator for emergencies on my house.

Also I did the GCWR already.
GCWR =12,500 pounds
Truck Weight = 4441 pounds
Max trailer = 7500 pounds
Left over after max tow = 559 pounds
(Left over could be used for passenger weight, this is more just accounting for everything)

So let got with my wife's trailer she wants, link below.

Truck = 4441 pounds
Trailer = 5987 pounds
Total = 10,428 pound

GCWR - above
12,500 - 10,428 = 2072 pounds.

So this is the biggest trailer my wife wants and still we have 2072 pounds for cargo. It can be done, but I need to watch the weight. Too close for me still.

Rviator what do you think?

https://www.bestrv.com/New-Inventor...23BHHL-Forest-River-Wildwood-8152174?ref=list

Below is the link to what you spoke about.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1502-sae-j2807-tow-tests-the-standard

Last edited:

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Being a first time tow-er, it would be good if you can practice on something a little smaller and lighter at first to see if you would feel comfortable with what you plan to get. Maybe rent a heavy U-Haul and pull it at highway speeds on a windy day. Once you buy a camper you are stuck with a lot of depreciation the day you bring it home.
The second camper you mentioned with a 5200 gross weight might work well, but if loaded even that would require a 520 lb tongue weight at 10%, and you would probably want a weight distribution hitch for that (although not required), so that would add another 100+ lbs to the hitch. If it's a long trailer, you might want to bump the tongue weight up to 15%, which would help reduce the possibility of the trailer swaying. If you're not familiar with weight distribution hitches, they attach to your hitch and camper and work at transferring some weight off the rear axle, transferring it to the front axle and trailer axle, which is good if your rear end sags and helps keep weight on the steering tires.
What is the payload of your particular truck? I believe it's lower for 4WD than it is for 2WD. All that tongue weight, plus weight of hitch hardware, all has to be subtracted from your payload.
I understand your preference for a Ranger rather than a full sized truck. I hate parking full sized trucks in parking lots.
As for the Ranger power, I love it! It pulls our 3,000 lb Scamp with ease, much easier than our V-8 Dodge Dakota does.
Good luck with your camper, once you start enjoying it you may want to start taking much longer trips, so keep that in mind too.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
You should ask the RV dealer if you could take the trailer for a test tow. While you are doing that you should go to a scale with the Ranger’s gas tank full, and loaded with all passengers and gear. Then get two weights - one with just the Ranger’s axles on the scale and the second one with all axles on the scale.

The first scale weight tells you how close you are to the Ranger’s GVWR. The second scale weight tells you how close you are to the Ranger’s GCWR.

Don’t go by weights in brochures. Put it on a scale. There are liability issues here and the safety of your family and other motorists.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There's also a frontal area rating which is worth looking at.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being a first time tow-er, it would be good if you can practice on something a little smaller and lighter at first to see if you would feel comfortable with what you plan to get. Maybe rent a heavy U-Haul and pull it at highway speeds on a windy day. Once you buy a camper you are stuck with a lot of depreciation the day you bring it home.
The second camper you mentioned with a 5200 gross weight might work well, but if loaded even that would require a 520 lb tongue weight at 10%, and you would probably want a weight distribution hitch for that (although not required), so that would add another 100+ lbs to the hitch. If it's a long trailer, you might want to bump the tongue weight up to 15%, which would help reduce the possibility of the trailer swaying. If you're not familiar with weight distribution hitches, they attach to your hitch and camper and work at transferring some weight off the rear axle, transferring it to the front axle and trailer axle, which is good if your rear end sags and helps keep weight on the steering tires.
What is the payload of your particular truck? I believe it's lower for 4WD than it is for 2WD. All that tongue weight, plus weight of hitch hardware, all has to be subtracted from your payload.
I understand your preference for a Ranger rather than a full sized truck. I hate parking full sized trucks in parking lots.
As for the Ranger power, I love it! It pulls our 3,000 lb Scamp with ease, much easier than our V-8 Dodge Dakota does.
Good luck with your camper, once you start enjoying it you may want to start taking much longer trips, so keep that in mind too.

This would be my first time towing a travel trailer. I did have a 1980's Glasstron open bow boat. I also had a utility trailer with a small dune buggy (bug go kart). I also have my Military certificate to tow aircraft. I had to tow a Sikorsky HH-60H, that was a long time ago and I am sure that does not count anymore lol. I have not towed in past few years and not a travel trailer. Nothing like a giant box on wheels.

I was told by the Rv rental that they recommend a weight distribution hitch. I was going to do research. If there is one you recommend please let me know. They did say you will have issues backing up, I didn't understand that part.

All the numbers I used was for the 4x4 supercrew model which I have. I plan on making them let me tow it around the block and around the parking lot first. Also the trailer is going to be a possible gift from my nice inlaws. So I am sure you understand, a free trailer you are going to pick the best out within reason.

I looked up the tongue weight and that's 750lbs. The trailer below is the one I am learning towards as of now.

Please if some one has a bunk model trailer that is super fancy inside and is 5,000 to 5800 pounds they can recommend please let me know or send me a link. Also something with one slide out and a out door kitchen (grill and fridge at least).

Hitch weight is 620
Trailer is Weight 5380

https://www.castlecountryrv.com/pro...okee-grey-wolf-black-label-23dbhbl-1146801-29

Last edited:

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I was told by the Rv rental that they recommend a weight distribution hitch. I was going to do research. If there is one you recommend please let me know. They did say you will have issues backing up, I didn't understand that part.
Purchase a good weight distribution hitch with sway control and you won’t have issues backing up. Look at an Equal-I-zer 4way or Blue Ox Sway Pro.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Purchase a good weight distribution hitch with sway control and you won’t have issues backing up. Look at an Equal-I-zer 4way or Blue Ox Sway Pro.
Thank you. I found the ones you said. I also looked to see what the best seller model is on Amazon, normally they are good. I put them below can you tell me which one is best and what you think of the Amazon best seller. If I got one wrong let me know. Thanks.

Equal-i-zer
https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-Progress-90-00-1000-10K-Hitch/dp/B004TR8F5C

Blue Ox
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDI42Q/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

CURT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB1EEFM/ref=psdc_15737521_t3_B00W919FL8

MJ Mohn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Is your VKB3Z-2C006-A Trailer Brake Controller being installed by a Ford Dealer? Can you post some install photo's after the work is completed and how satisfied you are with the job? I read that all 2019+ Rangers are factory prewired for the VKB3Z-2C006-A install. Let us know how much the dealer charges you for the install. Thanks. Safe Travels and Happy Trails.

OP
OP
Timothy Farley

Timothy Farley

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your VKB3Z-2C006-A Trailer Brake Controller being installed by a Ford Dealer? Can you post some install photo's after the work is completed and how satisfied you are with the job? I read that all 2019+ Rangers are factory prewired for the VKB3Z-2C006-A install. Let us know how much the dealer charges you for the install. Thanks. Safe Travels and Happy Trails.
I can, but I am debating on doing it myself. I was told there is no programing the computer for the install. Since I don't have to program it, its plug and play I might do it myself.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I found the ones you said. I also looked to see what the best seller model is on Amazon, normally they are good. I put them below can you tell me which one is best and what you think of the Amazon best seller. If I got one wrong let me know. Thanks.

Equal-i-zer
https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-Progress-90-00-1000-10K-Hitch/dp/B004TR8F5C

Blue Ox
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HDI42Q/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

CURT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB1EEFM/ref=psdc_15737521_t3_B00W919FL8
The Curt (Amazon best seller) is the kind you can’t back up without taking part of it apart. Cheaper but not even close to the Equilizer of the Blue Ox in performance.

The Blue Ox is rated linked is 1500 lb / 15000 lb tow weight this will give you a harsher ride. Go with a 1000 lb/10000 lb rating like the equalizer.

You might be able to include it you RV purchase. Your RV dealer should be able to assist with the installation.

I should add that a proper sized shank is important and if ordering from Amazon it might require an additional purchase of 100+. If not initially included.

l have the Equalizer but would have been just as happy with the Blue Ox
Sponsored

Last edited: