Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
It's the 'gotta have it' gang. They don't put too much logic into their thinking.
Remember when Musk announced his fantasy Cyber Truck 3 years ago, how people were lining up to pre-order? Have you seen one on the roads? Now he promises (again) it will be available in 2023. And the funniest part, he says it will start at $39,000 and the Muskies believe it.
Think what you want but it will start shipping next year and be a game changer. I like my Ranger but Tesla will be the number one producer of vehicles in 5 to 7 years. If you want a tip buy Tesla stock. I bought heavily at the dip and in 10 years I'm hoping for a nice retirement from it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
The Lightning is cool and all but there's no guarantee the $ per mile of electricity will be under the cost of gas always.

It doesn't make financial sense although a hybrid might.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
the hybrid is what my next step will likely be.
but that's a crap shoot as well on fuel cost because gas prices are always volatile.
The gubments will always tax the price of gas to satisfy their green supporters
I have a PHEV hybrid Jeep, and love it. It is perfect for short commutes and longer trips, and I can choose what 'mode' I want to drive it in (Hybrid, Electric or ICE). So far the electric is less expensive than fuel, but as you say, who knows.

In Ga there is a 'special' tax (I think by means of registration cost) for those that own a full electirc, I think to make up for the loss in tax revenue on fuel.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I have a PHEV hybrid Jeep, and love it. It is perfect for short commutes and longer trips, and I can choose what 'mode' I want to drive it in (Hybrid, Electric or ICE). So far the electric is less expensive than fuel, but as you say, who knows.

In Ga there is a 'special' tax (I think by means of registration cost) for those that own a full electirc, I think to make up for the loss in tax revenue on fuel.
I think that is the "catch" the vast majority of EV buyers don't know, or think about. Politicians are not going to allow road tax revenue to drop, so they will come up with all sorts of imaginative ways to recoup any loses. I do see the point of those taxes, but some people are going to be quite surprised.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
A PHEV Ranger would be awesome. I talked to a guy who has a PHEV Mitsubishi &
he said last summer he went 2k km not using gas. So if you do a lot of small
trips this looks like a good option.
But, now you have ICE married to electric, what type of issues later, could be
a nightmare....

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
For what it's worth, this would be my prediction:

The same way that you could buy or lease a vehicle today, there will be an option on EVs for the battery to be on a Subscription Plan. Meaning they will drop the initial cost of the vehicle, but the battery will be a monthly charge, based on capacity and miles driven, with a per mile rate when going over the threshold, or a flat rate per month based on a miles per moth as well.

OR

Some type of a 'Platform forever' model. Basically the same, purchase the vehicle up front and lease the battery, or being able to trade your vehicle every seven years for the newest version with no change in the vehicle cost (although battery lease rate may change).

Not a popular idea, but this is the model that a lot of businesses are moving towards.

Let the criticism and conversation begin. :bandit:
That's a possible solution. Another is interchangeable battery packs such as done with e-bikes. Running low on battery? Pull up to a service station where they drop the battery pack from the bottom, and install a fresh one and off you go.

(1) The 1-MINUTE Battery Swap - 0-100% WITHOUT the Need for Fast Charging! - YouTube

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
A PHEV Ranger would be awesome. I talked to a guy who has a PHEV Mitsubishi &
he said last summer he went 2k km not using gas. So if you do a lot of small
trips this looks like a good option.
But, now you have ICE married to electric, what type of issues later, could be
a nightmare....
I have 2300+ miles on my PHEV Wrangler. over 1500 are electric. Of the 850 Hybrid, 500 are the drive home from the dealer. Haven't topped off the tank for over a month. Run it in Hybrid mode at least once a month, just for my own peace of mind.

1660228036086.png

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
That's a possible solution. Another is interchangeable battery packs such as done with e-bikes. Running low on battery? Pull up to a service station where they drop the battery pack from the bottom, and install a fresh one and off you go.

(1) The 1-MINUTE Battery Swap - 0-100% WITHOUT the Need for Fast Charging! - YouTube
A small e bike battery and a 1000 lb vehicle battery are totally different.
Can you possibly imagine the infrastructure/building/charging problems you would have with a facility like that ? Not to mention the facility itself and the machinery needed to quickly swap out a huge battery, the amount of energy supplied to that building to charge a large # of batteries, and the recycling of used up/unchangeable batteries.
And that would only be one facility....multply that by hundreds or several thousand !!!
Not practical at all.
Lets face it...EV tech now is about where IC was back in the 1920's...just starting out to become reliable. Wait another 25 years or so and maybe tech will give us something useful.

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
A small e bike battery and a 1000 lb vehicle battery are totally different.
Can you possibly imagine the infrastructure/building/charging problems you would have with a facility like that ? Not to mention the facility itself and the machinery needed to quickly swap out a huge battery, the amount of energy supplied to that building to charge a large # of batteries, and the recycling of used up/unchangeable batteries.
And that would only be one facility....multply that by hundreds or several thousand !!!
Not practical at all.
Lets face it...EV tech now is about where IC was back in the 1920's...just starting out to become reliable. Wait another 25 years or so and maybe tech will give us something useful.
Did you watch the video in the link? It shows a quick 1-minute battery swap in an EV car, not an e-bike. Sure, probably just proof of concept, but possible. The biggest obstacle is to come up with a standardized battery pack. I don't see that happening anytime soon as we can't even have a standard for phone chargers.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
HAHA the Fed is giving a $7500 rebate so Ford hiked the price $8500! HAHAHA THAT IS RICH!
GM did the same.

Perfect example of what happens when governments say only the rich corporations will be taxed. The “rich” just compensates by raising prices on their goods. Applies to taxes as well.

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
GM did the same.

Perfect example of what happens when governments say only the rich corporations will be taxed. The “rich” just compensates by raising prices on their goods. Applies to taxes as well.
Well, with the new EV rules, the high end F150 Lightning won't be eligible. And the rest will have even more of a reduction, based on sourcing of components.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired

Totally agree this would eliminate the last hurdle to EV adoption enmasse. Fast DC chargers still require too much time when traveling long distances compared to ICE and filling stations.

A monthly lease plan for batteries that would be similar to industrial gas cylinders also would kill two birds with one stone.

I think the only problem with these idea's is it would require motor companies to deeply cooperate on battery standards or the government to mandate the standards. The former seems unlikely and the later always seems like a bad idea to me. ;)

The other problem is the roll out of swap stations. Only when you get to the point where battery swap stations become pretty plentiful along the interstates does the idea really take hold.

If legislators directed incentives totally to this kind pursuit and away from channeling money into special interest pockets, maybe EV's actually would overtake ICE the old fashioned way, because the use case became a no brainer.

Crazy talk, I know, legislators doing things for the right reason...

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Think what you want but it will start shipping next year and be a game changer. I like my Ranger but Tesla will be the number one producer of vehicles in 5 to 7 years. If you want a tip buy Tesla stock. I bought heavily at the dip and in 10 years I'm hoping for a nice retirement from it.
I think Tesla will do well as a car company going forward, but going heavily into Tesla stock (TSLA) as your retirement plan?

I will just leave these two pieces of data on going all in on Tesla the stock:

Elon Musk said in a recent interview that it's “essential” that Tesla solve its full self-driving technology (FSD). Musk feels that it should be the “overwhelming focus” for the carmaker because “it's really the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money or worth basically zero.”Jun 15, 2022

Andrej Karpathy, Tesla's head of artificial intelligence and leader of the company's Autopilot team, is leaving the company.
Karpathy announced the departure on Twitter on Wednesday. "It's been a great pleasure to help Tesla towards its goals over the last 5 years and a difficult decision to part ways.Jul 14, 2022

Maybe just not go overweight the stock? Just sayin.... ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: