First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Popo electric cars! So where are the charging stations going to be. One good chase and off to the charger.
It'll be funny the first time an EV police car chases an ICE one that has a full tank of gas. lol Especially somewhere like out in WY where there's nothing for miles and miles.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
It'll be funny the first time an EV police car chases an ICE one that has a full tank of gas. lol Especially somewhere like out in WY where there's nothing for miles and miles.
I know I am not in the game anymore, but I will pass. They are designed for special service, like crime scene investigation, etc. I just can't see these being good for patrol. Especially with the extra stress placed on the electrical system. I know there were many nights I would have to stop in the middle of my shift and get gas. Five minutes tops and i was back out. Charging is going to be an issue. In larger department's, the cars run 24 hours a day. You would have double the fleet to be able to keep cars available for patrol. Not saying we couldn't eventually get there, just doesn't seem practical right now.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know I am not in the game anymore, but I will pass. They are designed for special service, like crime scene investigation, etc. I just can't see these being good for patrol. Especially with the extra stress placed on the electrical system. I know there were many nights I would have to stop in the middle of my shift and get gas. Five minutes tops and i was back out. Charging is going to be an issue. In larger department's, the cars run 24 hours a day. You would have double the fleet to be able to keep cars available for patrol. Not saying we couldn't eventually get there, just doesn't seem practical right now.
Yeah I can see them being used for what you said and that makes perfect sense.

I went out the other morning (8:00 am) and there was a police truck parked with its lights (all the flashers in the taillights and added ones) going off to the side in a construction zone. The windows were blacked out so I couldn't see if anyone was inside. Later that afternoon around 2:30 I had to bring Annie to the dentist and that same truck was sitting there with its light going. It'll be years before an EV can take over doing that especially if someone was inside all day with the ac going.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Yeah I can see them being used for what you said and that makes perfect sense.

I went out the other morning (8:00 am) and there was a police truck parked with its lights (all the flashers in the taillights and added ones) going off to the side in a construction zone. The windows were blacked out so I couldn't see if anyone was inside. Later that afternoon around 2:30 I had to bring Annie to the dentist and that same truck was sitting there with its light going. It'll be years before an EV can take over doing that especially if someone was inside all day with the ac going.
With the temp extremes, lights (although the new LED lights draw less) and the computer it will be tough. We have had guys, embarrassingly enough, run out of gas at accident scenes before. Just have the tow operator through some gas in it and you are good. I would almost think with an EV, you would have to tow it.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
fair point, but if you read the fine print about this truck, it has a a fast charging battery as well as can still run on diesel to extend the run time range. There's nothing limiting the same technology for police vehicles either. might it mean some police departments need more vehicles....maybe.
Not saying we can't or won't get there, just have some things to sort out first. And Ford does have a hybrid Explorer for police work. I think the hybrid makes much more sense.
Sponsored