Ford's new F150 Lightning battery pack is so powerful it can be used to power Americans' homes during blackout

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ford's new F150 Lightning battery pack is so powerful it can be used to power Americans' homes during blackout: Cell is 10 times more powerful than a Tesla.

• Prices range from $40,000 for versions of the car aimed at commercial fleets to luxury models that reach the $90,000 price tag
  • It features an $11,000 131 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion pack battery, which is nearly ten times more powerful than a Tesla Powerwall.
  • In order to have those perks, potential buyers must also splurge on the Ford 80-amp charging station, a $3,895 home integration system from Sunrun Inc

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-pack-powerful-used-power-homes-blackout.html
Sponsored

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
I don't know much about energy draw, but you're telling me it can power a full house (article stated AC/Electronics/lights and everything) for 3 days but only go 230-300 miles as a car? Seems like those 2 don't equal up at least from a gas comparison.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’m curious to see what towing does to the mileage per charge.
That's one thing they still haven't said anything about. Makes me think it's not all that great because they'd be raving about it if it were.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't know much about energy draw, but you're telling me it can power a full house (article stated AC/Electronics/lights and everything) for 3 days but only go 230-300 miles as a car? Seems like those 2 don't equal up at least from a gas comparison.
This article from this morning states it'll power your house for up to 10 days. :shock: Of course it'll probably cost you $80K + to do it.

No matter what this is the direction they're forcing us in so hopefully prices come down some once technology advances. I'm afraid that's wishful thinking in todays world.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-can-ford-f-150-lightning-power-house-10-days-1704444

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
OK...power goes out, you plug your Lightning in and power your home for 3 days...
BUT...power is out for a week...how you gonna recharge your Lightning ???
Guess your gonna hafta turn on that old gas burning generator to recharge the Lightning so it can power your home again.

Last edited:

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
That's one thing they still haven't said anything about. Makes me think it's not all that great because they'd be raving bout it if it were.
Agreed. This is what makes me tend to think the EV truck market won’t live up to the hype.

It may end up serving a niche market and be a poor seller.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Sad thing is with the massive push to EV's what no is talking about is the skyrocketing utility costs. Electricity rates in Texas have doubled in the past year alone. Just imagine what having millions of EV's out there will do to these rates. How much will it cost to recharge them vs traditional IC vehicles.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sad thing is with the massive push to EV's what no is talking about is the skyrocketing utility costs. Electricity rates in Texas have doubled in the past year alone.
? You know we're not supposed to think outside the box. If you think fuel prices are high now just wait and see what electricity will be when Tens of MILLIONS are driving EV's. They're not going to redo the whole countries grid system and Not charge us for it. :facepalm:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Sad thing is with the massive push to EV's what no is talking about is the skyrocketing utility costs. Electricity rates in Texas have doubled in the past year alone.
And, in your state, that dosen't even take into consideration the entire grid going down again.
GENERATORS RULE !!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's cool so when the electric trucks overload the grid, cause blackouts they can then put the electricity back into the house. Round and round we go!
More or less. lol :crazy::crazy:

Definition Of Insanity.jpg

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
And, in your state, that dosen't even take into consideration the entire grid going down again.
GENERATORS RULE !!!
If that happened and I had one of these I could run my house off the truck while charging it from my generator that's running on gasoline or propane... :facepalm:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Just put up a wind turbine and solar panels and water turbines to charge your truck. Then you can power your house with the truck. ?
Sponsored