Not open for further replies.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Not really ford ranger related but I'm watching this guy on youtube that reminds be a lot of @P. A. Schilke

Munro Live Youtube Channel

Just thought I'd share b/c I feel a lot of us like these sort of videos
Sponsored

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Sandy is extremely knowledgeable and doesn't hold back his criticism for the vehicles he's reviewing

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Until I can go to a "EV station" and charge in no more than 10 min and we have a way to transmit all of that ultra-high-voltage electricity... nah, bro.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Until I can go to a "EV station" and charge in no more than 10 min and we have a way to transmit all of that ultra-high-voltage electricity... nah, bro.
I feel the same way about gas engines. Until I can plug my car in overnight and have it ready to go in the morning without having to go to a station...nah.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I recently watched a video where the math was worked out on the theory the country went to all electric for new production by 2035 and what kind of power would be required to supply the electrical grid. It would require the addition of a nuclear power plant being built every few weeks

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I recently watched a video where the math was worked out on the theory the country went to all electric for new production by 2035 and what kind of power would be required to supply the electrical grid. It would require the addition of a nuclear power plant being built every few weeks

This is why Europe has a lot of EV vehicles there. Their gas prices are very high but it's more economical for them to run EV because they have a lot of nuclear power plants and are still building them. There's no way our grid will be able to sustain all these EV vehicles even in 20 years using just wind and solar.

https://www.euronuclear.org/glossary/nuclear-power-plants-in-europe/

As of August 2020 there is a total of 176 nuclear power plant units with an installed electric net capacity of 159,719 MWe in operation in Europe (six thereof in the Asian part of the Russian Federation) and 13 units with an electric net capacity of 12,596 MWe were under construction in seven countries.

In terms of electricity generated by nuclear energy in 2019 France holds the top position with a share of 70.6% followed by the Ukraine and Slovakia, both with 53.9%, then Hungary with 49.2%.

DeathRanger

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
This is why Europe has a lot of EV vehicles there. Their gas prices are very high but it's more economical for them to run EV because they have a lot of nuclear power plants and are still building them. There's no way our grid will be able to sustain all these EV vehicles even in 20 years using just wind and solar.

https://www.euronuclear.org/glossary/nuclear-power-plants-in-europe/
France is yuge on nuclear power. But the only reason Europe’s fuel prices are high is because of taxes on it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
All you need is a 100 by 100 mile patch in a deserted corner of Arizona, Texas or Utah (or anywhere) to more than power the entire USA.

Here's all the numbers if you want proof solar power is possible and sustainable
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/energy/2015...s-blue-square-how-much-solar-to-power-the-us/
If this were placed in one concentrated area what would stop a terrorist from taking out the whole countries grid? Cyber hacking has been all over lately from the pipeline to meat plants so don't say security as we've already seen NO administration can protect us! No way I'd want all my eggs (so to speak) in one basket.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I think that some day soon I will be talking about the good old days when you could drive from Pittsburgh to South Florida in one 21 hour shot.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If this were placed in one concentrated area what would stop a terrorist from taking out the whole countries grid? Cyber hacking has been all over lately from the pipeline to meat plants so don't say security as we've already seen NO administration can protect us! No way I'd want all my eggs (so to speak) in one basket.
I'm pretty sure you missed the point

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
All you need is a 100 by 100 mile patch in a deserted corner of Arizona, Texas or Utah (or anywhere) to more than power the entire USA.
Plausible.

However we must remember that 100x100 miles equals to about 160900x160900 meters, and a solar panel is roughly 1.67m2. That brings up the question who will manufacture the 15,502,281,438 solar panels to place there? And if we count 10000 crews taking 2 minutes for installation of each panel, who from our grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-grand-children will see it's completion?

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I feel the same way about gas engines. Until I can plug my car in overnight and have it ready to go in the morning without having to go to a station...nah.
I've had an electric car. Charging overnight was awesome!

Buuuutttt... it cost me $2,000 to install the right kind of electricity from the box to my garage and buy the charging station. Where I live now, in a 110 year old building downtown, it'd cost me $8,000 to accomplish installing a charging station in my parking spaces and that's just for the wiring, never mind the commercial-style charging station I'd need per local code. Or... I can go to fee charging stations that, to charge a, let's say, Tesla Model S to full range... could be 2 hours.

I loved being able to charge overnight. I had a Volt... barely used gas. Awesome. Get it.

I'm talking about the overall population. They need gas stations... fill up, have full range. Mindless.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I think that some day soon I will be talking about the good old days when you could drive from Pittsburgh to South Florida in one 21 hour shot.
Takes you that long to drive that????
;)

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired

Here's all the numbers if you want proof solar power is possible and sustainable
https://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/energy/2015...s-blue-square-how-much-solar-to-power-the-us/
Yeah? And do those calculations also cover the cost (and space requirements for all the batteries necessary to keep the power on over night? Not to mention the resources need to manufacture all those batteries (plus replacements as nothing lasts forever),

Of course I won't even get into the stink all the environmentalist's will raise at even the thought of doing what you suggest.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.