First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This will be a nice feature for charging EV's and reduce charging times. It sounds similar to the Lane Keep Assist we have now where the vehicle will line you up with the EV charger. Hopefully this happens soon because when they can speed up the charging times more people (like myself) will be more apt to jump onboard to a full EV.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/07/ford-patent-filing-suggests-evs-could-get-haptic-feedback-system/

In recent months, Ford has filed a bevy of EV-related patents, including one for an EV charging station guidance system, a hands-free charging system, and a promising new cable design that could drastically reduce charging times. Now, this new Ford patent continues that trend by introducing an idea for a haptic feedback system for EVs that could help drivers enter a charging space more quickly and efficiently.

The system depicted in this Ford patent notes that haptic feedback would be provided through the vehicle’s steering wheel while the driver is attempting to line their EV up with a charger, which is designed to guide the driver into that space. These cues could include both vibrations or pulsing, or even tactile cues such as making the steering wheel more difficult to turn past a certain point if the vehicle is on the wrong path.

While this sort of technology could be used at traditional charging stations that include cords and plugs, the patent also specifically mentions it being used in conjunction with hands-free charging equipment, which makes quite a bit of sense. Much like a smartphone must be properly aligned with a wireless charging pad for it to charge, the same could be said of all-electric vehicles once this sort of technology makes it to the mainstream.

As Ford mentions in the patent, EVs must be positioned in close proximity to charging equipment to achieve the best and most efficient transfer of energy. Thus, instead of playing a game of trial and error, drivers may be relying on a system like this to guide them into place when it’s time to charge up in the future.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I think these things will need a boatload of testing in real life!

I nominate Tracey for our candidate! Can I get a second to that nomination!?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think these things will need a boatload of testing in real life!

I nominate Tracey for our candidate! Can I get a second to that nomination!?
Yeah everything is going to need a lot of testing and there's still going to be some pitfalls. But it's at least a step in the right direction and nice to see they're thinking ahead.

I think Paul @OrangeStreak is a way better candidate. His parking is so bad if this system will work with him, it'll work for anyone. ? ?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Yeah everything is going to need a lot of testing and there's still going to be some pitfalls. But it's at least a step in the right direction and nice to see they're thinking ahead.

I think Paul @OrangeStreak is a way better candidate. His parking is so bad if this system will work with him, it'll work for anyone. ? ?
Sponsored