carlosedro

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hello Everyone

I just got my 2021 Ranger XLT 2 weeks ago, there a couple of issues I am trying to deal with, and one of those issues is engine vibration, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but my ranger vibrates on idle on PARK and DRIVE, it doesn't vibrate the cabin/dash or steering wheel, but you can definitely feel it on your seat and specially on the door when I have my hand or leg resting on it. It feels like a buzzy vibration if that makes sense, I know this is a turbo and I have owned bmw's with turbos but non felt this way, it is pretty annoying and I am trying to get used to it but I wanted to Know if any of you feel it, or maybe something is wrong? Also when in PARK, you can feel the vibration more. I tried 91 octane and it feels the same. Truck has 700 miles now. Thanks for your input, much appreciated
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It's a 4 cylinder, No matter what you do there will be some vibration when it's idling. About the only thing to reduce that is to get a custom tune that allows you the ability to adjust the idle rpm setting and ramp it up 50-100 rpm over stock.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Everyone

I just got my 2021 Ranger XLT 2 weeks ago, there a couple of issues I am trying to deal with, and one of those issues is engine vibration, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, but my ranger vibrates on idle on PARK and DRIVE, it doesn't vibrate the cabin/dash or steering wheel, but you can definitely feel it on your seat and specially on the door when I have my hand or leg resting on it. It feels like a buzzy vibration if that makes sense, I know this is a turbo and I have owned bmw's with turbos but non felt this way, it is pretty annoying and I am trying to get used to it but I wanted to Know if any of you feel it, or maybe something is wrong? Also when in PARK, you can feel the vibration more. I tried 91 octane and it feels the same. Truck has 700 miles now. Thanks for your input, much appreciated
Hi Carlos,

Inherent with a 4 cylinder is 2nd order shaking forces...To a degree these are canceled by a balance shaft in the oil pan of the motor. Engineers did a pretty good job tuning the engine mounts, so it leads me to believe you have a bound up powertrain. There is a powertrain neutralization process that the dealership can perform along with a exhaust neutralization, but with a flex coupling in the OEM system this might not be necessary. What is basically done is loosen the front engine mounts and the rear mount, shift the running engine to Drive, Reverse and then Neutral ... Retighten and evaluate. A bit more involved that I am describing but you get the idea. Sounds like you have something grounding out in the chassis that is feeding back through the seat tracks. Also check that the seats are tightly secured just in case... Hope this helps....

Dealer should be able to determine the frequency of the vibration which will id if it is 2nd order or other...

Best,
Phil

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Mine idles very smooth ,in gear to,compared to the 2014 Chevrolet 4.3,you could definitely feel it shake

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I never even noticed any vibrations on my '21 XLT. I guess I should pay more attention. I do hear a bit of distant rattle at cold idle emanating from the vent perhaps but nothing out of the ordinary from the outside. Once warmed it the engine sounds normal to me. It's a Direct Injected 4-cylinder so it sounds just like my GM 2.0 Turbo motor with DI. I feel the engine is very smooth from idle to redline. So much so that I never have given it a second thought since the truck was new.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I encourage everyone to compare Ford trucks to high end European cars at every opportunity.

OP
OP

carlosedro

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
It's a 4 cylinder, No matter what you do there will be some vibration when it's idling. About the only thing to reduce that is to get a custom tune that allows you the ability to adjust the idle rpm setting and ramp it up 50-100 rpm over stock.
yeah I get it, but it is definitely annoying.

OP
OP

carlosedro

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hi Carlos,

Inherent with a 4 cylinder is 2nd order shaking forces...To a degree these are canceled by a balance shaft in the oil pan of the motor. Engineers did a pretty good job tuning the engine mounts, so it leads me to believe you have a bound up powertrain. There is a powertrain neutralization process that the dealership can perform along with a exhaust neutralization, but with a flex coupling in the OEM system this might not be necessary. What is basically done is loosen the front engine mounts and the rear mount, shift the running engine to Drive, Reverse and then Neutral ... Retighten and evaluate. A bit more involved that I am describing but you get the idea. Sounds like you have something grounding out in the chassis that is feeding back through the seat tracks. Also check that the seats are tightly secured just in case... Hope this helps....

Dealer should be able to determine the frequency of the vibration which will id if it is 2nd order or other...

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil

Just joined this forum and have read many threads and I see you everywhere, very knowledgeable. I will be taking the ranger to my dealer as I am also having the vibration at take off, its just annoying to have all these vibrations. Once I hit the 1000 mile break in I will take it to the dealer. I am a car enthusiast I own, 2016 mustang GT, 2016 Shelby GT350, BMW M235, BMW 128I, AND This beautiful Ranger, but it sucks having these issues on a brand new truck. thanks everyone, ill update on this situation.

OP
OP

carlosedro

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Mine idles pretty smooth. She's just loud lol... Sounds like a 1930's sewing machine
lol yeah the sound is something different. Hey I see you also had the vibration at take off, is it gone completely? what did you end up doing? this is also very annoying.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil

Just joined this forum and have read many threads and I see you everywhere, very knowledgeable. I will be taking the ranger to my dealer as I am also having the vibration at take off, its just annoying to have all these vibrations. Once I hit the 1000 mile break in I will take it to the dealer. I am a car enthusiast I own, 2016 mustang GT, 2016 Shelby GT350, BMW M235, BMW 128I, AND This beautiful Ranger, but it sucks having these issues on a brand new truck. thanks everyone, ill update on this situation.
Hi Carlos,

The start up shudder is covered by a TSB that the dealer should be able to use to measure and shim the rear axle as necessary... The other issue should be addressed by an NVH assessment.

By the way. First order powertrain is RPM/60. That gives you Revs/second or HZ. Example Idle at 600rpm or 10 HZ. 2nd order shaking will be 20 HZ, also firing frequency is 2nd order. Two ignitions per revolution. Hope this makes sense and the NVH tech at the dealer can use their NVH equipment.

Best,
Phil

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Mine does exactly the same thing. A little annoying, but seemingly totally normal.
Sponsored