First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2022 Ranger lariat FX4 BO
Occupation
Network engineer
Is anyone else experience shuttering or vibration when the truck is shifting from 1st to 3rd gear? I noticed the transmission skips second gear altogether if you are driving normally. "my truck may have used second gear twice since I've owned it" Each time you take off you feel like a shutter or vibration, it pauses while the transmission is shifting from 1st to 3rd gear. Thank you
Sponsored

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Ok obvious questions, what year and how many miles?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Have you tried using S mode? If not try it and see if you're still getting the shuttering.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That is a very good idea. I will try that. Thank you
Since I tuned mine I don't notice the shuttering at all. But before that I would notice it slightly and dropping it into S mode took care of it. Just remember that if you hit the +/- button on the side while in S mode you'll now have to manually shift.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I guessing what you're feeling is the engine lugging a bit. What RPM is it dropping to when it first hits 3rd?

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
It sounds like feathering the throttle during break-in period or trying to save gas. It try’s to learn your driving habits.. maybe a little more throttle on take off..??

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
It's still in adaptive period. Mine was fine until around 10k miles. Then I got the skip second shudder. There's a TSB on it. They reset whatever controls the shift points. Now I drive less Granny-like and I'm at 17,000 without a repeat of the issue..

OP
OP
coyote5.0man

coyote5.0man

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2022 Ranger lariat FX4 BO
Occupation
Network engineer
It's still in adaptive period. Mine was fine until around 10k miles. Then I got the skip second shudder. There's a TSB on it. They reset whatever controls the shift points. Now I drive less Granny-like and I'm at 17,000 without a repeat of the issue..
Can you please list the TSB number for the 2022 year? I would love to have that TSB done. So are you saying it should not skip second gear? I have never see a transmission do that before so if there is a fix that will correct that I want to have it done ASAP. That can't be good for the trans or the engine.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Mine only did it when cold. Once warmed up, the issue went away. I assumed it was trans fluid level but they checked it and it was ok. Since the TSB everything has been great but I didn't start experiencing it until 10k miles and I haven't reached another 10k since. The real tell will be whether or not it returns before I reach the second 10k.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Can you please list the TSB number for the 2022 year? I would love to have that TSB done. So are you saying it should not skip second gear? I have never see a transmission do that before so if there is a fix that will correct that I want to have it done ASAP. That can't be good for the trans or the engine.
It's is normal for automatic transmissions to skip second gear (or any gear) under the right conditions but not every time. Mine was jumping 2nd when it shouldn't have and was causing what you described.