First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I drag raced for many years with cars running in the 7’s at over 170mph so pinion angle is something I know about and have always had to set when changing 4 link bars. So with that said according to Ford they say to put a digital angle finder on the frame, zero it then put it on the U-joint cup with the cup facing parallel to the ground and read angle..With it on a level surface Of course..We used to do it with the drag car by putting it on the trans face not the frame..
That’s why I’m asking, we always use the output shaft or crank pulley to establish zero, measuring from the frame is inaccurate and doesn’t actually measure anything since the engine and transmission are sitting in rubber etc. So was the pinion up or down? Positive or negative? My truck is lowered, my center support bearing is raised and I don’t think I have much more than -3 degrees. I never measured it stock though. Either way I have literally been up and down the driveshaft angle spectrum and never had any vibrations related to it. I hope you can fix yours.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2021Ranger

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Yes I agree but in a drag car everything is solid mounted unlike a street car/truck. It is positive and when taking off the rear moves up and makes it more positive..drag cars are set negative as the rear rotates up making it almost a straight line to the trans..

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Yes I agree but in a drag car everything is solid mounted unlike a street car/truck. It is positive and when taking off the rear moves up and makes it more positive..drag cars are set negative as the rear rotates up making it almost a straight line to the trans..
But is your angle positive or negative, up or down?
Also do you know how to reply to a comment?

DED4D2A3-7F83-4088-938B-8913763F80E1.jpeg

RaptorDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Let us know if it fixes the shudder

Dealer called me this afternoon. They need to keep my truck another day. Said they need to get another part. Didn't give me any details, just said they have it apart and need to keep it another day. I'll try to get all the details when I pick it up and then post them here.

RaptorDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Dealer called me this afternoon. They need to keep my truck another day. Said they need to get another part. Didn't give me any details, just said they have it apart and need to keep it another day. I'll try to get all the details when I pick it up and then post them here.
Ok. Picked up my truck. Asked for the details of what was found and repaired. Wasn't allowed to speak with the mechanic who did the work. The best I could get is: "The pinion angle was out of spec. We installed shims on the right and left of the rear axle to correct the problem. We also replaced any 'one-time' use bolts."

I attached a copy of my invoice that has a description of the repair. Don't know if it helps much, but that's about as much info as I could get.

The work was covered under warranty since the truck only has less than 3,200 miles on it.

As far as whether it fixed the problem... Seems to have eliminated about 99.9% of the vibration. I think I still feel a very minor vibration, but it's definitely a lot better than it was. I think I can live with it. Hardly noticeable.

vibration.jpg

Shoran12

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX
Occupation
Millwright
Ok. Picked up my truck. Asked for the details of what was found and repaired. Wasn't allowed to speak with the mechanic who did the work. The best I could get is: "The pinion angle was out of spec. We installed shims on the right and left of the rear axle to correct the problem. We also replaced any 'one-time' use bolts."

I attached a copy of my invoice that has a description of the repair. Don't know if it helps much, but that's about as much info as I could get.

The work was covered under warranty since the truck only has less than 3,200 miles on it.

As far as whether it fixed the problem... Seems to have eliminated about 99.9% of the vibration. I think I still feel a very minor vibration, but it's definitely a lot better than it was. I think I can live with it. Hardly noticeable.

vibration.jpg
Nice, glad you got it taken care of.
Sponsored