First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger 4x4 fx4
Occupation
No
Started at 2000 miles on engine, checked for anything loose,... took it to dealer & was told they can’t look at it for 3 weeks... I’m supposed to drive from ca to Colorado next week here is a short clip of engine
!
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That is REALLY ANNOYING!!!! At first I was thinking the high pressure fuel pump was making its normal ticking noise until I saw the video. If you can go to another dealer that is fairly close. If you cant do so i suggest making sure oil pressure is ok(no oil light) and that the level is ok.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
I had similar noise one time I think. When it was about 1K kilometers. When car was cold. Didn't try to catch it more.
First thought that something is loose. Or maybe it is AC or something related.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Sounds an awful lot like the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) or an injector having issues. The MK V GTI's with the BPY engine had issues with a component called the Cam Follower. It was a cap that fit over the HPFP plunger that ran against the cam lobe. The cam followers were failing, and wore a hole in them causing the HPFP plunger to grind against the cam lobe. Some of them made a similar sound as this.

The injectors are also known to make noise but this is not a sound typical of those. If it does this only when the engine is cold it could be something in the EGR system. If it's doing this all the time and the dealer you took it to cannot even inspect it for three weeks (unacceptable in my opinion), then definitely take it to another dealer since this noise is clearly something mechanical in nature and could present a serious engine problem.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Sounds an awful lot like the HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) or an injector having issues. The MK V GTI's with the BPY engine had issues with a component called the Cam Follower. It was a cap that fit over the HPFP plunger that ran against the cam lobe. The cam followers were failing, and wore a hole in them causing the HPFP plunger to grind against the cam lobe. Some of them made a similar sound as this.

The injectors are also known to make noise but this is not a sound typical of those. If it does this only when the engine is cold it could be something in the EGR system. If it's doing this all the time and the dealer you took it to cannot even inspect it for three weeks (unacceptable in my opinion), then definitely take it to another dealer since this noise is clearly something mechanical in nature and could present a serious engine problem.
Had that issue with my 2006 Audi A3. Expensive fix as it happened a year before the tsb or recall was issued. Got the voucher after I got rid of the car, no compensation if I didn't still own the car.

I would think some fueling issues would surface that would be noticeable while driving. That noise is concerning.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Had that issue with my 2006 Audi A3. Expensive fix as it happened a year before the tsb or recall was issued. Got the voucher after I got rid of the car, no compensation if I didn't still own the car.

I would think some fueling issues would surface that would be noticeable while driving. That noise is concerning.
Yeah my '08 GTI was at the dealer for three months because of the HPFP and camshaft shortage. Mine punched through the follower and had nearly ground the retention clip off the end of the plunger before it started acting up. At least they put me in a loaner while they had it. They replaced the pump, cam, follower, dropped the pan and replaced the oil pickup tube and cleaned out the pan. It went in with 26K miles on it and I put another 120K hard miles on that engine. I made it a point to check the follower at every oil change. Had to replace it three times because even the upgraded part would start showing wear after about 15K miles.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Yeah my '08 GTI was at the dealer for three months because of the HPFP and camshaft shortage. Mine punched through the follower and had nearly ground the retention clip off the end of the plunger before it started acting up. At least they put me in a loaner while they had it. They replaced the pump, cam, follower, dropped the pan and replaced the oil pickup tube and cleaned out the pan. It went in with 26K miles on it and I put another 120K hard miles on that engine. I made it a point to check the follower at every oil change. Had to replace it three times because even the upgraded part would start showing wear after about 15K miles.
My A3 became cursed. Started with rodent chewing wiring harness, dashboard flashed every light and warning possible, ECU toasted. Got that fixed, week later battery died, got that replaced. Car ran great, month later HPFP follower decided to chew itself up. They had the car for a week, replaced failed components. Drove great for about a day and then fuel injector problems. Traded it on a 2010 A4 before the A3 was worth less than cost to repair. The A3 went to auction. What sucks is I really liked that car. The 2.0 turbo and DSG trans was a nice match.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
That sucks.. The 2.0t with an APR stage 2 tune and the DSG was near perfection to drive. Gobs of power on tap and near immediate and precise shifts.

Other than a few random minor issues over the tenure of ownership, the only real issue I had with mine was odd behavior from the traction control/ABS system. If it was in regular drive or sport mode with TCS enabled, and accelerating with light/moderate boost (not too much or little) it would stumble and fall flat on its face flashing the TCS and ABS lights at the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts but only if it was around 2800-3500 rpm it would then take 2-3 seconds to clear and then take off like crazy. Any higher or lower than that, or if traction control was disabled, but only when in sport or manual mode would it not do this. Most of the time at least. It would randomly do this parlor trick when in those modes but it was rare. Of course it would absolutely refuse to act up when I took it in to be diagnosed. I took it in several times and even when I had the tech riding with me the car was all like "NOPE!" and would drive perfectly... :mad: Then one winter the ABS module decided it just felt like taking a break and for the three months of it not working only to randomly start working again and never have another issue the car did not do this shift issue. I know it wasn't either of the clutch packs slipping cause it would easily break the tires loose in the 1-2 shift and chirp them for 2-3 when in manual mode and TCS off.

Never did figure out what it was. Just chalked it up to it being a 12 year old German sports car and left it at that.
Sponsored