First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Either I'm deaf or mine does not make this buzzing sound cause I have never heard mine make it. But then it's exceedingly rare that I don't have music playing, a nagging wife next to me, screaming kids in the back seat, a cell phone ringing, a pile driver going off, some doofus in a riced Toyota Tercel trying impress Miss Cellaneous next to him at a light...
Sponsored

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Either I'm deaf or mine does not make this buzzing sound cause I have never heard mine make it. But then it's exceedingly rare that I don't have music playing, a nagging wife next to me, screaming kids in the back seat, a cell phone ringing, a pile driver going off, some doofus in a riced Toyota Tercel trying impress Miss Cellaneous next to him at a light...
It’s possible that your truck doesn’t make the noise. Ford’s position on this is “some make it and some don’t...,”
and this has indeed been the experience of many customers. Mine for sure makes it. Ford’s description that “...this is a normal operation of the 10 speed transmission...” without identifying HOW or WHY some transmissions make the noise and some don’t, is completely UNACCEPTABLE as far as I am concerned. This is an explanation that GIVES NO EXPLANATION. Again, Ford expected 100% of my dollars to work properly and would accept Nothing Less.

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I have this issue since i bought the truck. Everytime you hit the gas pedal you can hear it, even on cruising speed. But I noticed this couple of day I can only hear a bit off buzz from acceleration, not like before it was crazy loud. At Cruising I cant hear any buzz at all. I didnt get any oil change yet or even tried to use higher gas octane. It just really weird that I cant hear it that much now. But yaa ill keep on monitoring.
I only get it generally between 1500 and 2000 RPM, (maybe in 2nd or 3rd gear)
both going up through those gears (from a stop) and coming down (through 2nd and 3rd) to a stop.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I started to notice this noise today and it's just like in the video of the area below the steering wheel. Happens in park. If you rev up very slowly it cuts in and out/stutters. Thought for sure it was a secondary internal vibration caused by the more consistent and obvious ticking.

Hoping this reflash addresses it but sad to see little feedback about this in here. Probably won't get to bring my truck in for some time due to current events.

BrendaK849319

First Name
Brenda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XTL 4x4
I hear a very irritating noise while driving my truck. My ears are messed up to begin with. This extra irritating noise makes driving a unpleasant experience at low speeds.

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I hear a very irritating noise while driving my truck. My ears are messed up to begin with. This extra irritating noise makes driving a unpleasant experience at low speeds.
Lots of comments about it here (including some by me). Scroll through these pages.
UPDATE: A good friend who is a former excellent ford technician and later owned his own very successful shop (now retired) said to try “BG brand ATC“ an automatic transmission, pour in additive. He said the BG products actually work. (I’m a teacher, I don’t sell any kind of product and neither does my friend). He uses them on his own vehicles and I’m going to give it a try. $25 on Amazon. I’ll report back on the results.

Klj

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger 4x4 fx4
Occupation
No
I have a similar buzz but sounds like it’s skipping... I’ll try posting a video

Attachments

LeeVW

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I picked up my 2020 Ranger two weeks ago, and I first noticed the buzzing on Day 2. It might have been there on Day 1 and the AC drowned it out, but I can't be sure. All I know is that I can hear it all the time, especially while accelerating. It's pretty loud when the engine is cold, but it quiets down when it's warmed up. Even then, it's almost always louder than the engine itself, and this is with the Lariat engine cover in place.

The noise pretty much ruins how nice the truck is. I was going to try to take it to the dealer last week, but work got crazy and I couldn't. I currently have 650 miles on the truck. Does the noise actually diminish as miles accumulate, and if so, how many miles do I have to endure this? Are others experiencing the same as what I am, where the buzzing is the most prominent noise inside the cab?

Thanks for any input!

Lee

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
I picked up my 2020 Ranger two weeks ago, and I first noticed the buzzing on Day 2. It might have been there on Day 1 and the AC drowned it out, but I can't be sure. All I know is that I can hear it all the time, especially while accelerating. It's pretty loud when the engine is cold, but it quiets down when it's warmed up. Even then, it's almost always louder than the engine itself, and this is with the Lariat engine cover in place.

The noise pretty much ruins how nice the truck is. I was going to try to take it to the dealer last week, but work got crazy and I couldn't. I currently have 650 miles on the truck. Does the noise actually diminish as miles accumulate, and if so, how many miles do I have to endure this? Are others experiencing the same as what I am, where the buzzing is the most prominent noise inside the cab?

Thanks for any input!

Lee
Is that a “buzzing” or more like a “blower” sound? Because the latter is a normal thing https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/engine-noise-when-warming-up.7283/post-128017

I do notice a bit of a buzzing sound on my 19 Lariat, and always chalked it up to being normal since it’s been there since “day 2” as you say.

Funny that though looking back.... I did a test drive in a Ranger (not the one I bought) and it was already started and warmed up. When I picked up my baby, it was also pre-started by the salesman as we were walking to it so by the time I’m driving away all sounds quiet.

That buzz has been there the whole time and I’ve just gotten used to it. I don’t mind because she moves however I want ?

LeeVW

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Is that a “buzzing” or more like a “blower” sound? Because the latter is a normal thing https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/engine-noise-when-warming-up.7283/post-128017
I can hear both, and I'm referring to the buzzing sound in this case. It's definitely more prominent when the engine is cold, but it gets much quieter once it warms up. The sound does seem to be diminishing as miles accumulate, so I'm hopeful this trend will continue. I don't mind a little bit of noise, but mine was crazy loud for the first few hundred miles.

My friend has a 2019 Ranger, and you really have to listen hard with the fan off in order to hear the buzz. He doesn't remember it having the buzz when it was new, but he can't hear the buzz very well in my truck, so he might not have noticed. In any case, you're right, this thing moves! It's all I can do to hold back until I have enough break in miles on it!

Klj

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger 4x4 fx4
Occupation
No
Is this the same noise ?

LeeVW

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Yeah, that’s the noise. I’m hearing it inside the cab with the windows up. I can really hear it with the hood up for both the 2019 and the 2020, but you don’t really hear it inside the cab of the 2019.

LeeVW

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I was able to compare the 2019 (10,000 miles and no engine cover) and the 2020 (750 miles with engine cover) this morning, both engines overnight cold. The buzz is very loud inside the 2020, and is almost impossible to hear in the 2019. I guess either time will tell, or I can take it to the dealer so they can tell me it’s normal.

Last edited:

Bdubb

First Name
Bdubb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT 4x4
Occupation
Bail Bondsman
I am practically despondent over this engine noise issue. It sounds like an electronic lawnmower! Absolutely love everything else about the truck. Did 3 significant test drives and of course heard nothing because windows were all down due to The Virus...

I'll give it to 2000-3000 miles running 91 and trying some transmission additives, but if this keeps up I will have to bite the bullet and just get a V8 F150...Probably will cost me another 10k at the end of the day. Ridiculous.

So bummed right now. Thanks to everyone who has weighed in with their expertise!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I started to notice this noise today and it's just like in the video of the area below the steering wheel. Happens in park. If you rev up very slowly it cuts in and out/stutters. Thought for sure it was a secondary internal vibration caused by the more consistent and obvious ticking.

Hoping this reflash addresses it but sad to see little feedback about this in here. Probably won't get to bring my truck in for some time due to current events.
Just following up to say that I haven't noticed this noise much (if at all) since the post I'm quoting. It seems to be related to temperature or something. Or maybe fuel? I'm running premium from Shell lately, and the weather has gotten significantly cooler.
Sponsored