First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford ranger
Occupation
graphic artist
Hi, was wondering if anyone has had any resolve to this issue? I bought a 2020 Ranger 2 weeks ago and it has the same noise as discussed in this forum. Its loud and very annoying, i'm pretty disappointed. I took it back to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and as discussed they just said it's how they are. The noise is unacceptable for a new vehicle. Sorry to dig up old news, just wondering if anyone has any luck rectifying the problem.
Cheers
Sponsored

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
2020 Consumer Reports Buying Guide states both the Ford Explorer 2.3T and Mustang with the 2.3T report lows for transmission bumpy shifts and engine noise.....but the only lows for the Ranger are controls and high step-in. GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Colorado lows are reliability, ride, uncomfortable seats and driving position. Tacoma lows are ride, handling, braking, noise, driving position and seat comfort. Honda Ridgeline lows are poor towing capacity, shallow bed and low ground clearance at construction sites for a work truck, and poor ride at GVW. Jeep Gladiator lows are handling, wind noise, awkward window controls, reliability, stiff ride, transmission, awkward access and fuel economy.

I will take the Ranger any time, day or any other reason, even an engine "buzz" which I ignore and bothers me not.

Last edited:

HarveyMushman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger XL 4x2
Hi, was wondering if anyone has had any resolve to this issue? I bought a 2020 Ranger 2 weeks ago and it has the same noise as discussed in this forum. Its loud and very annoying, i'm pretty disappointed. I took it back to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and as discussed they just said it's how they are. The noise is unacceptable for a new vehicle. Sorry to dig up old news, just wondering if anyone has any luck rectifying the problem.
Cheers
Install the Lariat engine cover. It does attenuate the buzz a bit. It bothered me some at first, but either it's making less noise now or I just got used it because it bothers me very little now.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
SSM 49253 - 2019 MKC, 2019-2020 Ranger/Edge/Nautilus/Escape/Explorer, 2020 Corsair - 2.0L/2.3L EcoBoost - Light To Moderate Ticking Type Noise At Idle (600-700 RPM)

Some 2019 MKC, 2019-2020 Ranger/Edge/Nautilus/Escape/Explorer, 2020 Corsair vehicles equipped with 2.0L and 2.3L EcoBoost engines may exhibit a light to moderate ticking type noise at idle (600-700 RPM). The noise is usually more prominent in the area of the high-pressure fuel pump, located on the top of the engine just behind the number 4 ignition coil. This noise is not detrimental to engine function and has no short or long-term effects on engine durability. This an operating characteristic of these engines and no repairs should be attempted.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2020 CAR: TF CX483N CORSAIR
2020 CAR: TF CX483N CORSAIR
2019 - 2020 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2020 CAR: TC CX482N ESCAPE
2019 TRUCK: UB U502N EXPLORER
2020 CAR: TW U625N EXPLORER
2019 - 2020 CAR: D9 U540N MKX
2019 TRUCK: M2 C520N ESCAPE
2019 - 2020 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
2019 TRUCK: ME C489N MKC

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
just came across this as my 2021 with 1500 miles is doing this. i thought something was messed up somewhere or my recent oil change caused it. LOL. I did go with mobile 1 filter.

Anyhow, glad it seems to be "normal" and no long term effects.

Ranger3

First Name
Dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Xlt Sport 4x4
Occupation
Store Mgr
A rattling heat shield...that is exactly how I would describe it too., I just can't tell if it what I hear inside the cab is truly vibration/rattle or just the DI making it's annoying racket and sounding different through the engine cover and firewall. Can anybody else chime in with any insights?
just came across this as my 2021 with 1500 miles is doing this. i thought something was messed up somewhere or my recent oil change caused it. LOL. I did go with mobile 1 filter.

Anyhow, glad it seems to be "normal" and no long term effects.
Is this the sound? Like a rattle after engine comes down after reving?

Attachments

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Is this the sound? Like a rattle after engine comes down after reving?
i can't hear it from your video but yeah, when i rev and it comes down i hear it most.

passaloutre

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
I think there are multiple sounds being described in this thread. Mine is more like the sounds being described in the first few pages, very much an "electronic" buzzing, like putting your finger on a guitar cable (). It's definitely not a mechanical sound coming from the engine, it's coming from the gas pedal. The sound goes away when you're not pressing the gas, and comes on when you press the gas.

Anyone have a solution to this one?

JSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger 4WD STX
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. It’s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.
Is your Ranger still making that sound. Any luck stopping it?

22Bandit

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Black Package
Occupation
Contractor
I'm glad I found this, I was worried something might be wrong as mine suddenly started making this noise today at around 450 miles. I came from a 08 hhr ss which was a 2.0l direct injection motor, I dont believe the hpfp made as much pressure as these do and am rather use to hearing the pump run off the cam, but the noise I was hearing sounded more to me like one of the timing chains was rattling or something. I wonder if better oil would help resolve this? I know at least on the old motor the hpfp was ran by the camshaft and mounted off the side of the head. I'm pretty sure oil got pumped up there to help quiet the slapping sound of the fuel pump! This seems a bit loud hopefully it chills out again! I want to add my brother has a 2021 model and he's been using Amsoil. I have never heard this noise come from his truck! I'll have to ask him about it tonight.

Spartacus310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. It’s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.
Okay, so my 2020 Ranger XLT just started making that noise as well. Have you found out exactly what that is? I'm the 2nd owner on mine and have had it for 2 weeks.

Spartacus310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
This is exactly my experience with the damn buzzy noise. The engineers need to figure out a way to keep the noise from transferring into the cab of the truck. Maybe use rubber washers at the mounting points to cushion the vibration, something,,,, anything.
I just got mine back from Firestone and they said it was the "High Pressure Fuel Pump" right under the hood. Would be $900. I picked up and taking to Ford dealership tomorrow or 2nd opinion.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I just got mine back from Firestone and they said it was the "High Pressure Fuel Pump" right under the hood. Would be $900. I picked up and taking to Ford dealership tomorrow or 2nd opinion.
I believe this is not a bug. I’ve had no problems with my Ranger since I posted this 2-3yrs ago. I still Get the noise under the conditions previously described, I just don’t think it’s an issue that needs to be addressed. Just a noise, no harm.

Spartacus310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I believe this is not a bug. I’ve had no problems with my Ranger since I posted this 2-3yrs ago. I still Get the noise under the conditions previously described, I just don’t think it’s an issue that needs to be addressed. Just a noise, no harm.
Just got it back from the Ford dealer here in town and said totally normal thing.....it's the high pressure fuel pump that is making the noise but nothing to do about it. Occurs on the 2.3.
Sponsored