First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger 19
Occupation
Operator
I have this issue since i bought the truck. Everytime you hit the gas pedal you can hear it, even on cruising speed. But I noticed this couple of day I can only hear a bit off buzz from acceleration, not like before it was crazy loud. At Cruising I cant hear any buzz at all. I didnt get any oil change yet or even tried to use higher gas octane. It just really weird that I cant hear it that much now. But yaa ill keep on monitoring.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
David Bordeaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
IT Asset Manager
I test drove a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 w/blackout kit, 2 weeks ago to the day. I drove the thing for almost 45 minutes around the city, beltline, etc.

Drove like a dream. Was by myself, the salesman did not come along.

Last Friday, I bought the truck. Coming from a 2018 Honda Accord XL, the cabin was sooo quiet. I was in heaven. Great driving truck.

This past Tuesday, I was on my way home on I95 going about 75mph when I started to hear the noise everyone is talking about.

It went away after about 5 minutes. It's been intermittent the past couple days. I can really notice it if your in a closed space like a garage or parking deck. Mine already had 3k miles on it but I swear I didnt hear it till last Tuesday.

I'm actually a bit relieved and bummed at the same time seeing it's not just my truck.

I'm keeping a watchful ear on mine, will probably take it in and have it checked although I almost bet they tell me its "normal".

First Name
David Bordeaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
IT Asset Manager
Perfect description and my sentiments exactly!! In 48 years of working on my own, friends and kids vehicles I have never heard an engine emmitting that kind of buzzing that would be considered a normal characteristic. I understand that electronics and technology today is state of the art but if so why should this be acceptable?? It can't be a normal characteristic as some don't seem to be having the issue unless they are just not in tune to what normal should be. Not sure about the XLT, but on the Lariat besides the sound dampening cover over the bulk of the engine Ford engineers made a feeble attempt to cover noise on the injector module with a rubber cover. They need to go back to the drawing board!! I like this vehicle but the engine buzz for me puts a big damper on it. Am I just too anal!
I test drove a 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 w/blackout kit, 2 weeks ago to the day. I drove the thing for almost 45 minutes around the city, beltline, etc.

Drove like a dream. Was by myself, the salesman did not come along.

Last Friday, I bought the truck. Coming from a 2018 Honda Accord XL, the cabin was sooo quiet. I was in heaven. Great driving truck.

This past Tuesday, I was on my way home on I95 going about 75mph when I started to hear the noise everyone is talking about.

It went away after about 5 minutes. It's been intermittent the past couple days. I can really notice it if your in a closed space like a garage or parking deck. Mine already had 3k miles on it but I swear I didnt hear it till last Tuesday.

I'm actually a bit relieved and bummed at the same time seeing it's not just my truck.

I'm keeping a watchful ear on mine, will probably take it in and have it checked although I almost bet they tell me its "normal".
Update***

So I've made an appointment for tomorrow (Monday) at 9:15 AM EST with my Ford dealership here in Raleigh, NC.

I have a feeling I'm going to hear the same ole "it's a normal sound of the engine" but at least they'll be a record of me logging a complaint. I'll post my results (if any) after the appointment?.

First Name
David Bordeaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
IT Asset Manager
Yeap, just picked it up...couldn't find anything wrong :rolleyes:. Drove around with the mechanic.

He heard the noise but says it's just "normal operation" from the turbo. I'm not particularly happy with the diagnosis but what can you do? I'll keep monitoring it...if I notice it gets worse

After driving around in an Eco Sport the past couple days, I'm just happy to have my Ranger back. Happy trails!!

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
Yeap, just picked it up...couldn't find anything wrong :rolleyes:. Drove around with the mechanic.

He heard the noise but says it's just "normal operation" from the turbo. I'm not particularly happy with the diagnosis but what can you do? I'll keep monitoring it...if I notice it gets worse

After driving around in an Eco Sport the past couple days, I'm just happy to have my Ranger back. Happy trails!!
Thanks for updating! I probably won't take mine in at this point. I am finally past 1000mi so it's time for some fun!

First Name
David Bordeaux
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
IT Asset Manager
Thanks for updating! I probably won't take mine in at this point. I am finally past 1000mi so it's time for some fun!
Yeah, I'm doing the same. I had it looked at, doesnt appear to be any engine issues. Love the truck so Im gonna turn the stereo up and enjoy the ride.

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Just bought my brand new ‘20 Ranger today (3 JUL 20) with 9 miles on it, just off the transport. Tech drove it for brand new prep/safety check. Soft high pitched whine till approx 15-20mph, after I drove off the lot. I’m going back tomorrow to check on this.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought my brand new ‘20 Ranger today (3 JUL 20) with 9 miles on it, just off the transport. Tech drove it for brand new prep/safety check. Soft high pitched whine till approx 15-20mph, after I drove off the lot. I’m going back tomorrow to check on this.
I believe there is a TSB talking about transmission whine being normal for this transmission. Will be interested to hear what they say.

Bill in KC

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X2 Lariat
Occupation
Sales
I have a call into the dealer for what I would call a "gear whine" I have never considered the sound to be via the electrical path, I was extremely concerned it was a low fluid level in the transmission. I for one can certainly do without any adventures there! Since I can't check trans fluid levels I am concerned.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
I believe there is a TSB talking about transmission whine being normal for this transmission. Will be interested to hear what they say.
I just bought a brand new 2020 Ranger Crewcab and detected the noise on the way home from the dealer.
Here’s TSB 20-2083 I found after extensive searching:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/20-2083
And:
Ford Special service message (SSM)

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/10r80-10-speed-automatic-transmission-whine/

I’m taking this up with Ford Customer Service currently.

bluetruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Took delivery of my new ranger Monday. The buzzing is driving me up a wall. Makes me think I'm driving an electric vehicle.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
To me it sounds like pulling a zip tie. It comes and goes, usually notice when the engine is cold and increases in speed with rpm. I thought it was the fan until I read this post.

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Update: took it in to the dealer yesterday, they didn't find anything and marked it was likely a "whine due to the gearing offset characteristic of the transmission". Unfortunately couldn't replicate a "cold start" so might have to leave it there overnight or something next time.

SGT_Rock6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Ford engineering went with the “...normal characteristic of gear offset of 10 speed transmission.” Yes that must be why some make the noise AND SOME DON’T (?) Then give me ONE THAT DOESN’T! I’m infuriated.
Ford is “redefining” a PROBLEM on some of the trucks into “It’s normal for SOME TRUCKS to make an ANNOYING NOISE”
and Ford expects you to live with it.
BTW, I tried to tell Ford that SOME OF MY MONEY MIGHT NOT WORK PROPERLY, but don’t worry “IT’S A NORMAL CHARACTERISTIC OF THE MODERN MONEY PRINTING PROCESS.”
They said “THAT is not acceptable, we require 100% of your money to work properly!”
As far as I’m concerned, this is fraud on the part of Ford AND it’s dealers. The dealers know about this problem but say nothing until you discover it. Then they pretend that they didn’t know. Ford puts them (AND YOU)in this position. Now, if you go to sell the truck, YOU will have to say nothing also.
FORD has created this problem and is trying to BAMBOOZLE their way around it, without paying to fix it.
I find this unacceptable. I do like the rest of the truck. BTW, this 10 speed transmission has the same problem in F1-50’s, Mustangs, Lincoln’s and other models with the same transmission.
Sponsored