Engine "buzz" at low speeds/rpm

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I didn't have this noise for 20k+ miles. I did a few 0-60 spurt runs to get a baseline, and I developed this buzzing. I guarantee it wasn't there before I made a few WOT pulls (for the first time from a dead stop, actually).

It's pretty annoying, I thought I messed something up. I was actually leaning more towards the mechanical fan as the culprit.
Is this really a reflash thing?

Sounds exactly like this:
Here is a video I made where you can clearly hear the buzz. It’s louder down under the dash than it is at head height. Sorry you see my feet. You can hear it whenever I tap the accelerator. Hope this makes it more clear @RedlandRanger and others.
Sponsored

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
I didn't have this noise for 20k+ miles. I did a few 0-60 spurt runs to get a baseline, and I developed this buzzing. I guarantee it wasn't there before I made a few WOT pulls (for the first time from a dead stop, actually).

It's pretty annoying, I thought I messed something up. I was actually leaning more towards the mechanical fan as the culprit.
Is this really a reflash thing?

Sounds exactly like this:
Worst thing on any drivetrain is dead stop wide open runs. That's why u see so many street races start while moving. I don't think you broke anything. This Is a very stout truck. Ford planned to make a strong new model entrance an they succeeded. Still take to dealer let em look at it. Ur under warranty. Maybe have someone replace fluids in rear/ differentials ..even tranny with fresh tranny fluid & u good for another 50k mis. I'd use fresh (only) Motorcraft replacement fluids myself. Get it looked at.

LegacyRanger

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
How do you go about requesting a tcm reflash? And what build date do you have?
Would like to know this as well. Is this something the dealership will do? My build date is 10/2019 and I also have this issue, not a big deal but if there is a simple upload they could do that would be cool too.

Simplemann14

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger stx
Occupation
Retired
Hi, I have 2056 on mine and it’s still there.its an XL
hey, Ranger nation,the extra buzzing is comming from the plastic cover ahead of the fan. them cheep ass plastic plugs don't hold the shroud down tight enough. And Ford better program the robots to tighten bolts about 2 ft lbs more, when a person can turn them 1/8 of a turn tighter Robbie the robot isnt doing his job !

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would like to know this as well. Is this something the dealership will do? My build date is 10/2019 and I also have this issue, not a big deal but if there is a simple upload they could do that would be cool too.
Its a high revving, hard working 2.3L 4-cylinder (dont worry tho internals are mostly forged & if you are running an SN+ FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 w/ only motorcraft filters every 5k mis MAX you wont hurt that motor w/ its racing lineage I do highly recommend Premium fuel as well) although its ultra smooth & near silent @ idle it will have some buzzing as you say. Never drove a 4- cylinder that didnt! Request dealer reflash avail & let us know how turns out. My '19 w/ build date of 6/19 has slight low RPM buzzing up to approx few thousand RPMs when driving but mostly disappeared as mis accrued. If you maintain ur Ranger properly it runs & drives better as it breaks in & as u get near 10k mis.. at least in my experience. Really love this truck! Ton of fun to drive. Very good power & MPGs. I doubt I will be trading mine for new '21 or '22 truck. Maybe the GF let me keep my '19 & get the new one too:):):)

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True it is noticeable for the most part at lower speeds, because at higher speeds there are other sounds that tend to drown out the sound of the fuel pump.
My wife just purchased a 2020 Explorer Limited with the same 2.3 motor that we have in our Ranger. While standing outside the Explorer with the engine idling, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger with the same “buzz”. However, when you get inside the Explorer and close the doors, the sound disappears. My thought is Ford used more sound insulation in the Explorer then in the Ranger.
I do still love my Ranger despite the sound. It’s fun to drive especially after installing a tune. I agree with what you said about the oil too. I changed the oil myself right at 5k miles with full synthetic motor oil. When I take it to Ford for the 10k service I will make sure they use full synthetic and not the blend. Right now, there is no other truck I would rather have, and I’ve owned several over the years.
Right on brother!

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife and I were shopping for a new car for her and we looked at a 2020 Explorer that has the same engine as our Ranger. With the hood open on the Explorer, it sounds exactly the same as the Ranger, with the loud buzz sound. However, from inside the Explorer with all the doors closed, the buzz sound can’t be heard (unless you’re listening really hard for it). I wonder if it has something to do with sound insulation at the firewall? Maybe Ford should consider adding, or improving sound insulation.
For a truck these Rangers have good bit of sound deadening an all reviews I saw said it was quietest truck when driving/ idle ..plus it's a very high tech motor generally.. it runs really good (everyone that tests /reviews it says same) . Be rest assured with good basic maintenance an quality fuel it's gonna last a long , long time!

Last edited:

tebower

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Support
I just bought my truck last week. I'd very much like to know how I can check to see what version of the software I have before I try to ask for an update. Is it something I can plug forscan in and see? Or find in a menu somewhere?

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
So my ranger is going into the shop tomorrow for it’s first service 3800 miles on it in a month of ownership going full synthetic.

but they will be looking at this buzzing is there a specific tsb I need to reference I ask because it doesn’t happen all of the time? Please let me know thanks

also getting the waist gate squeak fixed and Exterior detail and seal due to when purchased there were water marks all over the windows hood and roof I couldn’t see until the sun was on it the next day.

Shifty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 Sport
Occupation
Owner, Bison Track LLC
I have this noise intermittently and I feel like it's the DI injectors. But I'm taking it in at some point because it is quite annoying. I love the truck otherwise.

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith
My truck buzzes like a Honda Civic from 1997 lol!
I didn't notice the buzz on my test drive because the radio was on already and the defroster on full blast (probably the dealer is hoping to cover up the buzzing and simultaneously disable the ASS system?)

The engine, as well as parts of the HPFP are aluminum and sound travels much more efficiently through aluminum than iron. When I open the hood I can hear every moveable part of the engine clicking, tapping, but most of it comes from the fuel pump. Mine has a tiny foam rubber helmet ?

parkranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX super crew
Occupation
Locksmith

It's pretty annoying, I thought I messed something up.
I first noticed mine at just over 200 miles while doing a 40% to 50% throttle rolling start from 20 mph to maybe 60. I didn't floor it, but the transmission didn't upshift and redlined the motor at 6500 and just kept revving for several seconds AFTER I released the throttle. Then it upshifted like normal. I was in D and not trying to manually shift or anything.

This was the first time I even barely gave it some stick and my immediate reaction to the suddenly very loud engine was to stop and make sure there was any oil in it at all.
There was, but it smells like fuel (I am watching the many threads related to that issue).

I am at almost 800 miles now, the engine seems noisier if anything, but I will update if I have anything checked.

tjanok

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I first noticed mine at just over 200 miles while doing a 40% to 50% throttle rolling start from 20 mph to maybe 60. I didn't floor it, but the transmission didn't upshift and redlined the motor at 6500 and just kept revving for several seconds AFTER I released the throttle. Then it upshifted like normal. I was in D and not trying to manually shift or anything.

This was the first time I even barely gave it some stick and my immediate reaction to the suddenly very loud engine was to stop and make sure there was any oil in it at all.
There was, but it smells like fuel (I am watching the many threads related to that issue).

I am at almost 800 miles now, the engine seems noisier if anything, but I will update if I have anything checked.
I actually just installed the Lariat foam engine cover, and it's much less noisy now. I'm honestly thinking this is just normal, I'm not sure if the HPFP is just "breaking in" or what.

I drove a 1.6 EB in an escape as a rental, and it had the exact identical buzzing noise. At this point, I think it's a characteristic of this engine.
Sponsored