First Name
Rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
and not having a muffler on a 4 cylinder makes it sound as cool as your lawnmower LOL
I had a 2001 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel I eliminated the muffler, they still had a resonator and the whole exhaust system on just no muffler. It was the best sound I ever heard very mechanical but yet not loud.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT and I've been turning over the thought of just taking it to an exhaust shop and have them eliminate the muffler entirely.
There'saenough stuff on it to keep it quiet.
It has a turbo,
it has a catalytic converter, it has a muffler,
it has a resonator
that's four things that stop up the exhaust. You can't even hear it running with the muffler on what do you think of this.
Has anyone else done this?
Yup

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I have a 2020 Ford Ranger XLT and I've been turning over the thought of just taking it to an exhaust shop and have them eliminate the muffler entirely.
It has a turbo,
it has a resonator
that's four things that stop up the exhaust. You can't even hear it running with the muffler on what do you think of this.
Muffler:

Obi.jpg

Muffler: a device for reducing the noise emitted by the exhaust of an internal combustion engine—especially a noise-deadening device forming part of the exhaust system of an automobile.

250lbs?
I'm struggling to understand that.
The full Borla system shipped is mid 40's pounds
I think he is talking about the one that sits in the passenger seat.

RangerTex

First Name
Pi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger on order
Occupation
Contractor
My Ford Performance Chrome Exhaust Tip installed on stock system did the trick. I can out-excellerate many full-size pickups and cruise at 85-90 and still get 18 mpg with a headwind... with or without the tip. How much more can I ask? 😏

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I want to eliminate the tail pipe just because it looks like the cheapest industrial pipe on the planet. Maybe just hacksaw it and make my own axle dump. It's an eye sore but I have an aversion to ricer mods like exhaust tips.

twk

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 22 Ranger Lariat.
Occupation
Flight Simulator Engineer, retired.
No muffler, no way for me. Our 4 cylinder sounds like crap without the muffler.
Yep, my opinion. Maybe if you then added a damper...

Now, my Mustang GT? Borlas. Not too loud, and they sound great. I can't remember which Borla I went with. It's been a long time.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
My truck sounded good with no muffler until I put the CVF catted downpipe, now it is a little loud for my taste around 4k rpms.

Last edited:
OP
OP

conductor

First Name
Rog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
It has a turbo,
it has a resonator
Well I finally did it this morning, I had them cut out the muffler, it weighs about 40 lbs he can hardly lift it and.
They made a custom pipe and put that in. The truck sounds grea, it has no droning noise at 40 50 or 60 mile an hour. You can't even hear it. And I know you're not going to believe this, but it feels like it added at least 10 horsepower!
I mean it literally just screams, and bumps off the limiter good thing I did it ... I'm glad.
Sponsored