First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Took the restrictor plate off, thought I'd give the Red Dragon a little more juice, but lets keep that on the downlow, she's not exactly street-legal.

I removed the 1" restrictor on the inlet side of the muffler today. I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the from the front of the muffler. Then I used a 4ft jack handle to pound on the 1" restrictor. The restrictor is held on with 3 tack welds on the back and I had planned to break 2 of the welds and bend the restrictor back while still attached to the pipe. Well that didn't work out and I knocked the sob off clean. I was concerned the restrictor would rattle in the bottom of the muffler, but where ever it ended up it is not rattling. Results? The exhaust note has changed slightly, the tone is slightly deeper. I wouldn't say its any louder or droney. My butt dyno on the other hand is telling me the truck is pulling harder in the higher rpms, over 4k. The engine revs a little easier too. Even if its just placebo it took about 15 minutes and doesn't cause any issues ?

8213143D-276D-4716-A620-C8E7E2DEAA19.jpeg

A7300985.jpg

20210103_150618.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Interesting to say the least. I might do this myself. My one question to you is did the MPG go up for you?

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Interesting to say the least. I might do this myself. My one question to you is did the MPG go up for you?
I will track it over the coming weeks, but not anticipating any changes. We'll see.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will track it over the coming weeks, but not anticipating any changes. We'll see.
If anything I would suspect a gain of 1-2 at best. If it does happen i can see myself doing such.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
So the muffler is straight through, there's no bends?

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
So the muffler is straight through, there's no bends?
The muffler is not straight through. I would imagine it looks something like this. Maybe one day I'll cut it open.

muffler-cutopen.jpg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Interesting....
Is that for back-pressure on the exhaust / turbo?

Did it impact sound?
Obviously if Ford put it there, it needed to be there to meet one of their other goals of Crash Safety, Federally Mandated MPG Goals, or Driveability / Noise. Since it isn't 1, and 2 is remote, 3 is the only thing I can think of. Maybe it was to stop droning at highway speeds?

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
The muffler is not straight through. I would imagine it looks something like this. Maybe one day I'll cut it open.

muffler-cutopen.jpg
That's what I thought. I wonder how much it impacts flow, or is it just a sort of end cap for a different chamber?

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
That's what I thought. I wonder how much it impacts flow, or is it just a sort of end cap for a different chamber?
Yeah it would interesting to cut it open and see how it's plumbed once I order an actual catback down the road. Even in that image you can see that chamber at the end is connected to the flow stream.

GTgallop it did change the tone/frequency the note is subtley deeper now. I haven't noticed a drone.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
Interesting....

Did it impact sound?
Obviously if Ford put it there, it needed to be there to meet one of their other goals of Crash Safety, Federally Mandated MPG Goals, or Driveability / Noise. Since it isn't 1, and 2 is remote, 3 is the only thing I can think of. Maybe it was to stop droning at highway speeds?
Turbos hate back pressure. The turbo creates more than any engine could ever want.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Interesting....

Did it impact sound?
Folks forget about all those perforations on the exhaust tubing directly ahead of the baffle. It's not a restrictor, it's a baffle.

Ford spends hundreds of thousands of dollars developing a free flowing exhaust system with a good non droning exhaust tone... then somebody comes along and uses a 4 ft jack handle to bash on it.

1609772511987.png

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Ford spends hundreds of thousands of dollars developing a free flowing exhaust system with a good non droning exhaust tone... then somebody comes along and uses a 4 ft jack handle to bash on
I measured my jack handle and it's only 30" so I think my muffler will continue on unbashed.....for now. Tools are everything I've heard it said.

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
Turbos hate back pressure. The turbo creates more than any engine could ever want.
I would think the stock CAT restricts the exhaust more than the muffler. Wonder if this "MOD" helps with turbo lag?

OP
OP
RangerFitz

RangerFitz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx2
Occupation
Danger
Folks forget about all those perforations on the exhaust tubing directly ahead of the baffle. It's not a restrictor, it's a baffle.

Ford spends hundreds of thousands of dollars developing a free flowing exhaust system with a good non droning exhaust tone... then somebody comes along and uses a 4 ft jack handle to bash on it.

1609772511987.png
America!!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So is there any update as to any MPG gain(if any)? I'm probably going to do this myself but I'm curious
Sponsored