First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I ran spacers on an old track car many years ago. They froze to the hub and every nut stripped instead of loosening. Had to take off the hubs with the spacers on and get new hubs.

Edit: If using spacers make sure they are all steel (nuts and bolts too) to match what the hub is. Mine were aluminum spacers on steel hubs so most likely the gallvanic corrosion seized them together.
Concerned about corrosion I put a thin layer of anti-seize on the back side of my steel 1ā€ adapters as a precaution.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Oh noā€¦..another wheel spacer discussion.
Well, there are always those that think they are ā€˜badā€™ and ā€˜dangerousā€™. Not going to say that they are totally ā€˜wrongā€™ but the instances of wheel spacers causing wheels to come off are very rare and typically due to an incorrect install or really cheap spacers.
As to suspension issues, wellā€¦.yea just like a level or other suspension modā€™s, wheel spacers do alter the factory suspension geometry. This can (and probably) will cause premature wear and issues in time. The question though is in how much timeā€¦..probably quite a bit of time. One has to believe that these parts were engineered to withstand more than just your normal driving scenarios and if I run a level and spacers my ball joints, bearings, etc might wear at 75k vs 100kā€¦Iā€™m ok with that.
Everyone has an opinion - mine is that Iā€™m perfectly comfortable with my spacers (FactionFab 1 inch). They have been on for over 1.5 years with over 10k miles with no issues (and I have checked the torque no fewer than 4 times now and never have any of the lugs been different than day 1).
Just make sure you get a quality hub centric spacer and follow the install instructionsā€¦.BORA (interesting that this stands for Bulletproof Off Road Adapter) or FactionFab are great spacers.

Here is information that is on the BORA site:
Since 1996, Motorsport Tech spacers and adapters have been designed, built, tested, and proven in the toughest conditions on Earth - We've outfitted vehicles in the US Military for combat duty, desert-racing pre-runners, Arctic rescue vehicles, major auto companies including Ford, Chrysler, and Goodyear, and have built parts for thousands of hardcore off-road enthusiasts around the world - including our own vehicles we drive daily.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I've been running the Faction Fab 1" aluminum spacers for about 20k miles

No issues so far

I tow, off road, put weight in the bed

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Rack this thread up there with the catch-can threads but if you have a tailgate damper you should get a pass.?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
As to suspension issues, wellā€¦.yea just like a level or other suspension modā€™s, wheel spacers do alter the factory suspension geometry. This can (and probably) will cause premature wear and issues in time. The question though is in how much timeā€¦..probably quite a bit of time.
You can speculate ā€™til the cows come home about how long it will take for the effects of ā€œwear issuesā€ to require premature replacement of various suspension and steering components. Thatā€™s only part of the picture. The safety factor of loss of clamping force has already been discussed, so I wonā€™t repeat it.

My concern is handling characteristics. Every manufacturer spends a large amount of time and money to confirm that a small selection of wheel, tires, springs, and shocks, provide predictable and safe handling for the vehicle. There is no end to complaints about OE tire selections, and I think that nearly no owners replace the original tires with another set of the same when the time comes. That is to be expected, especially as the vehicle ages and tire manufacturers refresh their product lines, often discontinuing production of the OE tire.

The rest of the steering and suspension components, though, can usually be replaced with OE parts as they wear out in service. Maintaining the OE configuration sustains the tested handling characteristics to the greatest extent possible, ensuring that all of the safety testing is still valid for future operation. Every deviation from OE takes the vehicle farther from the tested and validated configuration, and introduces unknown variables and points of failure.

The effects of these untested and unvalidated changes do not creep-in over many miles of wear. They are immediate. You can go on forever with the ā€œhasnā€™t caused problems yetā€ argument, but that means nothing if the changes havenā€™t been tested at the vehicleā€™s performance limits. As with so many things, the correct answer for casual use is found by testing at the extremes. No amount of daily driving, light towing, moderate climate driving, or looking cool/sporty/aggressive in photos is ever going to find that limit. Itā€™s the true emergencies, which we hope to never encounter, that are most likely to demonstrate the undesirable effects of altering the factory steering/braking/suspension.

An aside, which is somewhat philosophically related: In a discussion related to iPhone owners modifying the basic operating system of their phones (jailbreaking) Apple argued that the owners of those devices no longer had iPhones. Their position was that the iPhone was a combination of hardware and software, not just an electronic device, and that Apple would not be responsible for any failures of the hardware or software once it had been modified from the OE configuration.

The owner assumes all risk from that point forward, and the unforeseen consequences of failure can be catastrophic in breadth and severity. What can you afford to lose?

Last edited:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I will add that, probably for the reasons Phil mentioned, check your state laws as wheel spacers are not legal in every state. They are not legal in PA where I live and your vehicle will not pass state inspection with them.
Legal in PA but only 1/4".....which is kinda' pointless.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have a '21 Tremor and put 1" Factionfab wheel spacers. The Tremor has 265/70/17 Grabber ATx tires and the Ranger Raptor wheels.

Zero issues here otherwise and wish I got them sooner.
Pics?

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
You can speculate ā€™til the cows come home about how long it will take for the effects of ā€œwear issuesā€ to require premature replacement of various suspension and steering components. Thatā€™s only part of the picture. The safety factor of loss of clamping force has already been discussed, so I wonā€™t repeat it.

My concern is handling characteristics. Every manufacturer spends a large amount of time and money to confirm that a small selection of wheel, tires, springs, and shocks, provide predictable and safe handling for the vehicle. There is no end to complaints about OE tire selections, and I think that nearly no owners replace the original tires with another set of the same when the time comes. That is to be expected, especially as the vehicle ages and tire manufacturers refresh their product lines, often discontinuing production of the OE tire.

The rest of the steering and suspension components, though, can usually be replaced with OE parts as they wear out in service. Maintaining the OE configuration sustains the tested handling characteristics to the greatest extent possible, ensuring that all of the safety testing is still valid for future operation. Every deviation from OE takes the vehicle farther from the tested and validated configuration, and introduces unknown variables and points of failure.

The effects of these untested and unvalidated changes do not creep-in over many miles of wear. They are immediate. You can go on forever with the ā€œhasnā€™t caused problems yetā€ argument, but that means nothing if the changes havenā€™t been tested at the vehicleā€™s performance limits. As with so many things, the correct answer for casual use is found by testing at the extremes. No amount of daily driving, light towing, moderate climate driving, or looking cool/sporty/aggressive in photos is ever going to find that limit. Itā€™s the true emergencies, which we hope to never encounter, that are most likely to demonstrate the undesirable effects of altering the factory steering/braking/suspension.

An aside, which is somewhat philosophically related: In a discussion related to iPhone owners modifying the basic operating system of their phones (jailbreaking) Apple argued that the owners of those devices no longer had iPhones. Their position was that the iPhone was a combination of hardware and software, not just an electronic device, and that Apple would not be responsible for any failures of the hardware or software once it had been modified from the OE configuration.

The owner assumes all risk from that point forward, and the unforeseen consequences of failure can be catastrophic in breadth and severity. What can you afford to lose?
So long winded way of saying donā€™t modify your truck? Isnā€™t the point of this forum peer pressure to convince people to spend money modifying their trucks? Betting the most common mod here is suspension changes (including wheels and tires). I mean aside from the tailgate damper of course.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
I have the Factionfab 1.5 in spacers with everything else being factory. Had no issues with rub and to me it does feel like the truck is more stable with the wider stance. For the install I did use some anti seize to keep it from rusting to my rotors and I ensure that my torque is to spec whenever the tires are off. Have had no issues even when I am not being nice to my suspension.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I thi

I think with all that said, the take away is that there are ā€˜manyā€™ modā€™s that are done by ā€˜manyā€™ folks that fall under this category (not just wheel spacers). Every person needs to assess the risk/reward and make theyā€™re own decision. The changes to vehicles from OE are commonplace and do have impacts (as you point out).
I respect all opinions expressed on this forum on many topics (well, maybe except when it comes to dampersā€¦.) and over the past couple years have learned so much.
One thing I have learned is that there are some things (like religion, politics, dampers, and wheel spacers) that have a pretty big divide in opinions.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
So long winded way of saying donā€™t modify your truck? Isnā€™t the point of this forum peer pressure to convince people to spend money modifying their trucks? Betting the most common mod here is suspension changes (including wheels and tires). I mean aside from the tailgate damper of course.
No, no, maybe, I recently installed a damper so Iā€™ll avoid falling into that pit.

Iā€™m not totally against mods, but I would buy a Tremor before trying to build something similar from parts. At some point, an F150 Raptor would be a better choice than a highly-modified Ranger. Thatā€™s shopping with my checkbook. Iā€™ve been on off-road trips with people who trailered their trail rigs behind a bone-stock pickup. At some point, that becomes the best option.

I joined this forum to learn, to share my knowledge and opinion, and socialize with a group of people with a common interest. Marketing is no part of it, for me. Feeling peer pressure to spend thousands on dubious ā€œupgradesā€ to your Ranger? I donā€™t. Maybe itā€™s an age thing, or maybe I just know what I want.

I come from an extremely unforgiving model of risk management. One motto that we commonly use is, ā€œInitial success, or total failure.ā€ At the extreme limits, your first failure is your last. None of that eliminates innovation or improvement, but it does help to define methods for innovating and improving. Causing injury or death to others in the process is the one unforgivable sin.

OP
OP

Cclittle72

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat Tremor
Many thanks to those of you who kept your replies to addressing what was asked. Good information. I will plan to check the torque now, which I hadn't known about before.
I have the Bora 1.25" ready to install when my Ranger arrives.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I've had the FactionFab 1.5" spacers on my 2019 Ranger for about 40K now.....absolutely no problems. I too have them checked for proper torque (100 ft/lbs) with each tire rotation. They have not caused any excessive wear on the tires. I recently put new wheels on my Ranger with a 30mm offset. I have the stock tire size 265/60 18 and by pushing them out that far (which looks awesome to me) they do rub a bit on the drivers side wheel well, at the crash bar, only on turning the wheel right while backing. So weird but I get the physics of it all. I plan on installing offset crash bars, just haven't got around to it yet......;)

BTW....I never had a rub with the 1.5" spacers till I installed the new wheels.....so you would be good with stock tires and pushing them out 1.5".

Also....with wheel spacers....quality matters, quality matters, quality matters......get it?
Wheel off light = no bueno