Driveshaft Phasing

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
What are the chances that a custom fabricated one piece driveshaft would solve all of this completely?
Hi Andrew,

I know you are infuriated with Ford Customer Service and I do not blame you. I cannot defend these folks as they treat retirees worse as we are supposed to shut up and tough it out.... I have had no success getting to anyone in Light Truck Engineering to respond to my other than the PVT Manager. He could not recall from the time of the 2019 launch to his retirement about 6 months ago of any driveline problems, so I would estimate that this has not bubbled up at the plant engineering level for some reason... The PVT supports and conducts production vehicle evaluations, and it is puzzling why it has not been flagged by the PVT.

I am about out of options inside the company...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
YOU may be running out of options, but is there anything we normies can do to get it noticed? I know we can take our trucks to the dealership over and over again, but we'll always get the same answer, "it's normal" or "your wheels and tires need balanced for the 6th time" or "that's what happens when you lift your truck and install aftermarket wheels and tires". This is more than just a one or two out of thousands of trucks. If it was, there wouldn't be this big of a discussion about it on this thread. That and mechanics - retired or still active - wouldn't be agreeing that something is not right here. My wife hates riding in the truck to go anywhere other than around town. And I'm definitely not going to take my truck to another dealership to have them try and sell me another tire balance service.
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Well, being one of the few loons to lower their 5th gen, I'm probably out of luck with Ford on mine.

But, I was very careful with the pinion angle and the vibrations changed significantly, both in intensity and frequency/speed/rpms. Generally improved the worst at 45 mph, move that down to about 40 mph but added a bit of intensity at 75 mph. Fair trade I think.

I may play around with the center bearing and try shimming it to see if things change again.

Long term I'll likely get the drive shaft rebuilt locally by the same guys that built the drive shaft for my V8 Ranger. Ultimately, if I'm willing to spend some coin o' the realm to make my ranger mine, I'll spend a bit to try and resolve the issue. Rebuilding the shaft will be one of the lesser expenses.

If that solves the issues on mine, I'll shove the bill down Ford's throat to force them to try and fix my wife's. If I get nowhere then, yea, I'll dig out a bit more and get it fixed myself.

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Marine Tech
Sorry for the delay, I meant to give an update. They replaced the rear driveshaft and the vibration is still present, but it might be very slightly reduced. The new shaft is out of phase EXACTLY like the factory shaft. It is also covered in balancing weights creating a counter balance condition EXACTLY like the factory shaft. I'm baffled how this slipped past Ford engineers and quality control.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
I just slid under my 2020 SuperCrew, and it matches the concessions so far. The front two sets of u-joints are in line, but the rear one at the differential is off as previous posters have described.
The manufacturer’s labels are from Dana-Spicer. I am wondering, have they have moved their manufacturing to China?

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Is the fix going to be something simple like shimming the rear axle in order to make the driveshaft angle match the angle of the driveshaft/transmission? Or is it going to be something completely different?

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
Is the fix going to be something simple like shimming the rear axle in order to make the driveshaft angle match the angle of the driveshaft/transmission? Or is it going to be something completely different?
No, I would think it would require an updated/fixed driveshaft that has all the u-joints correctly in phase.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
No, I would think it would require an updated/fixed driveshaft that has all the u-joints correctly in phase.
I am doubting that. It seems there are more “out of phase” driveshafts that are fine than not. It seems hard to believe this is an engineering “mistake”.

Mine is fine.

Last edited:

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Those of you with the vibration issues, how many are with a completely stock truck?

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Those of you with the vibration issues, how many are with a completely stock truck?
Mine is a stock 2020 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 and it has the vibration.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
The driveshaft is assembled exactly the way the Ford engineer's specified it.

Ford isn't the only manufacturer that has adopted this 1 spline off phase of the u-joints.

I don't know what the reason is -- But Yamaha is another manufacturer doing the same thing. And their driveshaft spins up to 10,500 RPM.

If you want to alter the phasing -- It will be up to you or a 3rd party .. Ford won't address.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Stock here as well.

Not only does it have the shudder off the line, but is now starting to vibrate at freeway speeds. When driving at 70 mph or faster, a very mild vibration can be felt in the driver's seat. I took it to get the tires re-balanced and only the passenger front was out by .25 oz. The vibration is still there, both off the line as well as at freeway speed.

I am wondering, have they have moved their manufacturing to China?

Yep they did....

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...tek-ultra-axle-system-in-china-300832907.html

I'd be willing to bet that there is absolutely no quality control or inspection of the units being shipped over to verify that the Chinese are building the shafts correctly or even to the correct specs.

SpaceRanger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
The driveshaft is assembled exactly the way the Ford engineer's specified it.

Ford isn't the only manufacturer that has adopted this 1 spline off phase of the u-joints.

I don't know what the reason is -- But Yamaha is another manufacturer doing the same thing. And their driveshaft spins up to 10,500 RPM.

If you want to alter the phasing -- It will be up to you or a 3rd party .. Ford won't address.
No, but they need to address the vibration issue.
Stock here as well.

Not only does it have the shudder off the line, but is now starting to vibrate at freeway speeds. When driving at 70 mph or faster, a very mild vibration can be felt in the driver's seat. I took it to get the tires re-balanced and only the passenger front was out by .25 oz. The vibration is still there, both off the line as well as at freeway speed.
Welcome to the vibration nation.

Btw, I'm not stock. Eibach Pro with fifteen52 Traverse HD's and Falken Wildpeaks @ 265/70-17's. Now, I actually experienced this vibration when I bought the truck STOCK. I initially had the dealer balance the factory/stock wheels and tires twice. Then I put my aftermarket stuff on and the bigger tires only accentuated the vibration since the rotating mass and circumference increased. I thought the new wheels and tires were the cause so I installed hub-centric rings. Nope, still there. Balanced the new rollers THREE TIMES and nothing.
Sponsored

Last edited: