Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I checked mine and even though it's a 2WD it too is slightly out of phase. :(

Really makes me want to jack it up and fix it, but with how the end shaft is counter balanced, I'm hesitant as adjusting it may only make it worse.
Hi PH,

Just mark the driveshafts so you can get it put back if you make it worse. Still trying to figure out if the slip yoke and splines have a blocked spline so you cannot reindex it. Since Kevin Norris is still at Ford Transmission Engineering, I am trying to get to him and ask this question, but so far no return emails.... Probably Covid 19 related work from home...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi PH,

Just mark the driveshafts so you can get it put back if you make it worse. Still trying to figure out if the slip yoke and splines have a blocked spline so you cannot reindex it. Since Kevin Norris is still at Ford Transmission Engineering, I am trying to get to him and ask this question, but so far no return emails.... Probably Covid 19 related work from home...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
If I get up the gumption this weekend to mess with it, I'll probably do just that when I do the oil change. If I do I'll snap some pics of the spline so we can see if it's clocked or not. Hopefully you will get a response from him as well.

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Marine Tech
If I get up the gumption this weekend to mess with it, I'll probably do just that when I do the oil change. If I do I'll snap some pics of the spline so we can see if it's clocked or not. Hopefully you will get a response from him as well.
I did notice the slip joint boot has band clamps. You'll probably have to cut one of them to pull the shaft splines apart. You could use a large wire tie to replace the band clamps temporarily. I actually did that on my 99 ranger when I disassembled mine to apply the Ford teflon grease to the splines for the slip/stick bumping they were known for.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I did notice the slip joint boot has band clamps. You'll probably have to cut one of them to pull the shaft splines apart. You could use a large wire tie to replace the band clamps temporarily. I actually did that on my 99 ranger when I disassembled mine to apply the Ford teflon grease to the splines for the slip/stick bumping they were known for.

Thanks for the head's up. If it has the band clamp on it I probably won't mess with it. Don't want to give them any reason to deny a warranty repair on mine. Especially if yours gets fixed correctly with a new shaft.

Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Ford isn’t the only manufacturer to offset the joints slightly. Yamaha also does this on their YXZ.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So I looked at my driveshaft today and it is also about a tooth or two out of phase. I will be contacting Ford about this since I have hotline access. One of the techs i work with said dont respline it since it already considered "balanced". Hopefully we can get good results like new correcly balanced and phased driveshafts.

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
So I looked at my driveshaft today and it is also about a tooth or two out of phase. I will be contacting Ford about this since I have hotline access. One of the techs i work with said dont respline it since it already considered "balanced". Hopefully we can get good results like new correcly balanced and phased driveshafts.
Let us know what is said please.

Ben

OP
OP
MossyOakNinja78
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marine Tech
Just got it back yesterday evening. They replaced the driveshaft and balanced the tires. Haven't gotten to drive on the highway enough yet to verify it's fixed. I also haven't crawled under the truck to look at the phasing.
20200530_140643.jpg
20200530_140519.jpg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just got it back yesterday evening. They replaced the driveshaft and balanced the tires. Haven't gotten to drive on the highway enough yet to verify it's fixed. I also haven't crawled under the truck to look at the phasing.
20200530_140643.jpg
20200530_140519.jpg
Just from reading that report it sounds like they didn't fix the problem.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed....
Hi Ben,

Not sure of the amplitude but 2nd order driveshaft of 37hz is roughly 1100 rpm of the driveshaft but not knowing what gear, gives just a rough approximation of the engine RPM of around 900 to 1000...

Does not appear to be fixed, but maybe minimized....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Hi PH,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The driveline can be reindexed. There is no blocking spline.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Matt,

Good to know! Thank you!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It is true that there is no blocking spline. The down side is I just tried to re spline my drive shaft and it did not work...... It did not want to change.....
Sponsored