Driveshaft Phasing

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
The tech was actually driving and we did get up to 80 MPH, but I can feel it starting at around 60 on a smooth road.
Sponsored

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious , what speed did you drive to show the tech? Between 70-80 is very noticeable with my truck.
My vibration was in the same speed range.

2000rpm

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2019 Ford Flex
I climbed today under my 2020 XLT and noticed the same out of phase situation with the rear-most driveshaft section (as in the video by the OP). I can't say I'm noticing any vibration though.

RngrRegmnt586

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
No, but they need to address the vibration issue.

Welcome to the vibration nation.

Btw, I'm not stock. Eibach Pro with fifteen52 Traverse HD's and Falken Wildpeaks @ 265/70-17's. Now, I actually experienced this vibration when I bought the truck STOCK. I initially had the dealer balance the factory/stock wheels and tires twice. Then I put my aftermarket stuff on and the bigger tires only accentuated the vibration since the rotating mass and circumference increased. I thought the new wheels and tires were the cause so I installed hub-centric rings. Nope, still there. Balanced the new rollers THREE TIMES and nothing.
I first got my vibration after installing Icon coilovers (adj. to 3" of lift), Icon UCAs, and 285/70/17 tires on RTR wheels. The vibration is felt between 60 to 80 mph. Haven't gone above 80mph. Truck was fine with ONLY Icon coilovers installed at the out of the box height of 2".

This is my 3rd Ford and I'm tired of being lied straight to my face by a technician who says he cannot see or feel the issue and/or sorry but we cannot "replicate" the problem so in essence... you're lying to us.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I first got my vibration after installing Icon coilovers (adj. to 3" of lift), Icon UCAs, and 285/70/17 tires on RTR wheels. The vibration is felt between 60 to 80 mph. Haven't gone above 80mph. Truck was fine with ONLY Icon coilovers installed at the out of the box height of 2".

This is my 3rd Ford and I'm tired of being lied straight to my face by a technician who says he cannot see or feel the issue and/or sorry but we cannot "replicate" the problem so in essence... you're lying to us.
Hi Roy,

So you have stated that you were okay after lifting the truck but after the tires/wheels you have a vibration, correct? Then you and the tech need to focus on the tires/wheels as the likely source for the vibration, eh?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired

[/QUOTE
Just to clarify, are you expecting the dealer to fix your modified vehicle under warranty?

RngrRegmnt586

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Had the factory wheels/tires on before AND after the final suspension work was done. Never had an issue with the factory wheels and tires prior so I didn't even consider that it would be a wheel/tire issue when they were STILL on the truck when the vibration began AFTER the coilover adjustment and UCA install.

And no.... I don't expect anything from Ford at this point of my build. I think what I might do is crank the coilovers back down to around 2", realign, and see if that alleviates the problem.

Eh... fingers crossed.

OKRaptor

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2019 Acura RDX and a 2007 Mazda Miata w/turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Was?? How did you fix?
Traded it in on a 2020 F-150 XLT - Problem solved :like:

Gotta say, the F-150 rides nice, has plenty of power and more space. But, I do miss driving a smaller truck and the fiestiness of the 2.3L

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Had the factory wheels/tires on before AND after the final suspension work was done. Never had an issue with the factory wheels and tires prior so I didn't even consider that it would be a wheel/tire issue when they were STILL on the truck when the vibration began AFTER the coilover adjustment and UCA install.

And no.... I don't expect anything from Ford at this point of my build. I think what I might do is crank the coilovers back down to around 2", realign, and see if that alleviates the problem.

Eh... fingers crossed.
That sounds reasonable.

RobmJ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Traded it in on a 2020 F-150 XLT - Problem solved :like:

Gotta say, the F-150 rides nice, has plenty of power and more space. But, I do miss driving a smaller truck and the fiestiness of the 2.3L
Yeah I had an F-150 as my loaner when they were inspecting my truck , and I noticed it wasn’t nearly as bouncy, brakes were much more responsive , ride was smooth and solid.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yeah I had an F-150 as my loaner when they were inspecting my truck , and I noticed it wasn’t nearly as bouncy, brakes were much more responsive , ride was smooth and solid.
Longer wheelbase will smooth the ride out quite a bit.

It's pretty apparent the F-150 is Ford's baby. That's where the money is.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The next problem, after getting a service tech to "actually feel the vibration" is their next step in diagnosis. Next they would fit the truck with some sort of vibration detector (I don't recall the name of it). If this device detects vibration below a certain limit, nothing will be done about it.

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
The next problem, after getting a service tech to "actually feel the vibration" is their next step in diagnosis. Next they would fit the truck with some sort of vibration detector (I don't recall the name of it). If this device detects vibration below a certain limit, nothing will be done about it.
Accelerometer?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The device may contain a fairly sensitive accelerometer, but it sounds like a test box that also has recording capability.
Sponsored