Do Window Wind Deflectors Work on a Ranger?

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
...not sure the problem is Ford specific. Any vehicle I've owned starts the helicopter pounding if I have a rear window partially down at high speed. Completely open or shut solves it.

But other than for smoking, or letting the dog hang his head out under 40 mph I keep the windows up. A/C always works fine.

HUppmann Cameroon’s for me!
Thinking of purchasing something so I can crack windows too. But, so far, haven’t smoked my weekly cigar in the truck!
Sponsored

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
HUppmann Cameroon’s for me!
Thinking of purchasing something so I can crack windows too. But, so far, haven’t smoked my weekly cigar in the truck!
I have a few H. Upmann and other top shelf cigars, plus some genuine Cubans I got when traveling to Germany. But I hoard these for special occasions.

I burn 3-4 sticks a day. I wouldn't have been able to afford the Ranger w/o buying $2 cigars from JR.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I started web browsing for deflectors. Previous threads mention "In Channel" which sounds like a better installation than the 3M tape.

But Weather Tech doesn't offer the shields for the 2D Supercab. Looks like I'll gave to go with the stick-on variety. I only crack the window as little as the jumpy control will allow. 1/4" is more annoying and high pitched than 1/2".

Per above if they are good to 1" opening I'll be good.
I had in channel (high quality brand) in my F150 and it hated them due to the auto reverse safety. However my Sport trac I had before that learned and adapted. I prefer in channel but will buy the 3m tape on style after Christmas

Caliope

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger CC 4WD Lariat, 2022 Bronco Sport OB
I had in channel (high quality brand) in my F150 and it hated them due to the auto reverse safety. However my Sport trac I had before that learned and adapted. I prefer in channel but will buy the 3m tape on style after Christmas
I have had both styles on vehicles, but prefer the in-channel. At first, I had issues with the auto-reverse on my '15 Escape front passenger with the AutoVentshade brand, but it has since adapted. This summer I purchased the EGR in-channel for the Ranger. At first the driver's side didn't want to learn, so I left it closed for a couple of hours and it has been fine ever since. The EGR's are of high quality at a lower price point.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I have the AVS stick-on visors after having great luck with them on my 99 Ranger vs the in-channel. I find that the design of the stick-ons is more bulbous vs slim style of the in-channel, allowing for more airflow and being able to crack the windows more too. Here’s a pic:

C9D7F150-FB15-4E1F-B8B5-262119AA51CC.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I have the AVS stick-on visors after having great luck with them on my 99 Ranger vs the in-channel. I find that the design of the stick-ons is more bulbous vs slim style of the in-channel, allowing for more airflow and being able to crack the windows more too. Here’s a pic:

C9D7F150-FB15-4E1F-B8B5-262119AA51CC.jpeg

I had those my previous truck, and loved stick on AVS! Where did you find yours?

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP here.
I just installed the AVS stick-on my SuperCab. So far I'm happy. Perfect fit. Also I like the low profile. I'm a minimalist when it comes to add-ons to a vehicle's looks.
Tomorrow I'll give them the 70 mph, window cracked cigar smoking test.
I'll get back after to report on any noise reduction. ...keeping my fingers crossed.
IMG_20201209_150221285_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201209_150238096_HDR.jpg

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
OP here.
I just installed the AVS stick-on my SuperCab. So far I'm happy. Perfect fit. Also I like the low profile. I'm a minimalist when it comes to add-ons to a vehicle's looks.
I'll get back after to report on any noise reduction. ...keeping my fingers crossed.
Have the same ones and I feel the same on all counts .

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
OP here.
My great uncle was an engineer at Deere in Waterloo. Probably before your time.

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My great uncle was an engineer at Deere in Waterloo. Probably before your time.
I was there 1979 - 2009. Still living in CF.

OP
OP

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP here again to answer my own question - Post topic.
My AVS deflectors did reduce the noise level acceptably. Still some noise, but acceptable. Quieter, and a lower pitch sound. 1/4" open whistled before the vent visors. Now a lower tone.

Bonus is my stinky cigar smoke was clearly evacuating much better. .....guessing the visors create a lower pressure outside the window opening to draw out the smoke.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I was there 1979 - 2009. Still living in CF.
Ah, W'loo/CF. Cruising Uni in the 80's....those were the days. I'm up in MC, but get down there every month or so.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Pre 72 I lived in Ames. Go Cyclones.

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

You create a Helmholtz resonance cavity which can drive you crazy with the buffeting...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You know it's funny, I briefly studied industrial design (at a school now bankrupt) and one of my instructors was the guy (or one of the guys) who designed the 1974 and 1979 Mustangs. Not unexpectedly he was teaching automotive modeling using clay and drawings.

He was a kooky fella and nice enough if a bit slipshod, I don't recall his name now. But one of the remarkable things I remember him telling us was that aerodynamics on vehicles was a myth. That cars move so slowly that aerodynamics play very little in the design, and that we as student's shouldn't bother thinking about it. That car bodies are the result of industrial designers, not aerodynamic engineers.

If you look at the 74 and the 79 Mustangs, they are the shittiest Mustangs.
Sponsored