RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
What can the outlet in back seat power. Wondering on limit.
shop vac?
Power washer 2000pis?
Serious question.
I believe the plug says it is limited to 150 watts.
Sponsored

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Are you referring to the Duralast 1000 watt Mobile Power Inverter?
No, a little more simple than that. The OE outlet in back seat of Ranger. Stock part. Just wonder how capable it is.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
The OE outlet in back seat of Ranger.
110 Volt AC Power Point (If Equipped)
(Per owners manual rev. 2)
The power outlet temporarily turns off
power when in fault mode if the device
exceeds the 150 watt limit.

Possible device(s) you can run under 150 Watts.
Computer/Printer/Fax 150 Watts
Halogen Light Bulb 100 Watts

Below 100 Watts:
(Check device wattage)
Mini Stereo
CD Player
Lap Top Computer
8" TV
Home Video Game
Cell Phone
Camcorder Charger
14.0 Volt Cordless Drill Charger
:cool:

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
What can the outlet in back seat power. Wondering on limit.
shop vac?
Power washer 2000pis?
Serious question.
I would imagine those far exceed the 110v outlets rated capacities if you are referring to an in-vehicle outlet that was part of the vehicle at delivery. I am a peasant and drive an XL. OP's post is in regards to an aftermarket inverter which surely exceeds anything factory.

Bombsquadbob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Varies
I don't think there is a IP67, weatherproof, water resistant power inverter made but if there was it would be the most expensive inverter to buy. I just put a DIY Gorilla duct tape flap over the Duralast receptacles to protect the inverter from liquid spillage.
Updated - clarification. I might add that a power inverter is solid state electronics which needs cooling and heat dissipation and by weatherproofing the enclosure will fry the electronics.
See pic below ...
DSCN0928.JPG
I’ve used a sealed inverter/charger on my boat.
http://outbackpower.com/products/inverter-chargers/m-series

gotwheels

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I just installed a larger inverter on my F450. I installed a ford style starter relay on the 12 volt side, so I can isolate the inverter with a switch in the cab.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

RangerEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, Trailer & Sport Packages
Occupation
Senior Director of Operations
DIY Hill Billy Emergency Low Cost AC Power for the 2019/20 Ford Ranger

There is really only one spot, under the Ford Ranger hood, to mount a 12 VDC power inverter.
The spot is in front of the battery - there are no other places to mount an inverter unless you spend time and extra money to buy heavy duty 12 VDC power cables and run them back to the truck bed or through the firewall into the cab. Finding a power inverter that fit in the very small battery hood space and having all the outlets and controls very accessible took days to find. The Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet is the cat's meow. I bought mine on Ebay for ~ $35 USD. Other places like AutoZone have them at a much higher price.
Please note: A 1500 Watt Power Inverter would have been better but the Ranger's hood space is very limited.

Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet Features:
Maximum Power: 1000 Watts
Peak Surge Output: 2000 Watts (0.1 sec)
Output Wave Form: Modified Sine Wave <--- check your devices, before purchasing, if they are capable running on this modified sine wave.
USB port: 1
Outlets for 120 VAC: 2
Power Output Wattage Indicator: Yes
Remote Switch: Yes - not use in my application
Low Voltage Alarm: Yes
Low Voltage Shutdown: Yes
OverLoad Protection: Yes
High Input Voltage Protection: Yes
Thermal Protection: Yes
Fault LED: Yes
Battery Cables: Yes - included

Construction hints/tips/suggestions:
I cut a 1/4" plywood just bigger than the inverter and painted it with high temperature black paint.
Using 4 nylons bolts/nuts, I attached it to the plywood using the provided mounting holes on the inverter. Then I tie wrapped the assembly, using a very long nylon tie wrap, to the battery strap to secure the power inverter.
Warning: Please note: There are many things to consider when using and choosing a power inverter. The printed manual is very concise and before you purchase a 1000W Duralast Inverter you should read the manual. So far, I cannot locate a PDF manual on the Internet but will keep looking!
See pictures below ...

The Four of July is approaching and I will be making homemade ice cream, for the family and relatives, using my power inverter on the Ford Ranger. :cool:

I like your option. I have a small 1 gal/0.5 hp air compressor that I can't run using the stock inverter in the rear seat area. Is the stock inverter even useful for anything?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like your option. I have a small 1 gal/0.5 hp air compressor that I can't run using the stock inverter in the rear seat area. Is the stock inverter even useful for anything?
See #18 above on this page

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Never thought to use an inverter made for a boat in a motor vehicle.
Good find -plus it has a true sinewave output - I will bet it would cost hundreds of dollars :)
Hopefully they are better than the 3000 watt version. The 3000s are notorious for burning out the neutral relay inside. I wouldn't recommend outback to anyone with my experience with them. Plus you need to be an engineer to program or operate it haha. The marine idea is awesome just maybe a Xantrax or Magnum. If they make them. Those thing are bulletproof in the coaches we build. Just a little input from a guy who puts in 20 or so a year.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I just quickly browsed all the info. I don't mean to crap on anything here, just some thoughts.

It seems that unit isn't really intended for 'wet' locations. It would need to really be fully enclosed unless in use. Since it needs to be supervised and with the hood up, etc, would it be better to provide the connections for it using a water proof connector and just plug it in when you need it? That would mean, of course, to store it somewhere, so that's a problem in itself.

To the question about the rear seat power outlet. 150W is just shy of 1.5amps. So, you're talking about laptop chargers (most, but not the beefiest). No hair dryers, toasters, blenders, etc :)

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
I just installed a larger inverter on my F450. I installed a ford style starter relay on the 12 volt side, so I can isolate the inverter with a switch in the cab.
Can you provide an idea of how to wire this? I have a tremor with the aux switches and would like to use one of those to control the relay. Thx

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Can you provide an idea of how to wire this? I have a tremor with the aux switches and would like to use one of those to control the relay. Thx
I would advise using a relay to your switch. Then on the relay side you can work the battery’s connection to the inverter. The current it would draw will fry your switch pretty fast

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L
I would advise using a relay to your switch. Then on the relay side you can work the battery’s connection to the inverter. The current it would draw will fry your switch pretty fast
Thanks, Im not very knowledgeable on low voltage wiring. Any idea how I could get a schematic on an install like this? And what size style relay? I know the outfitter switches run to a fuse box in the engine compartment. I assume I could install a rely in there or outside of it and tie in the battery and inverter? I have a 1000watt invertor I would like to install somewhere. Not wild about under the hood since I will likely be using it for tools, coffee pot, etc.
Sponsored