Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
DIY Hill Billy Emergency Low Cost AC Power for the 2019/20 Ford Ranger

There is really only one spot, under the Ford Ranger hood, to mount a 12 VDC power inverter.
The spot is in front of the battery - there are no other places to mount an inverter unless you spend time and extra money to buy heavy duty 12 VDC power cables and run them back to the truck bed or through the firewall into the cab. Finding a power inverter that fit in the very small battery hood space and having all the outlets and controls very accessible took days to find. The Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet is the cat's meow. I bought mine on Ebay for ~ $35 USD. Other places like AutoZone have them at a much higher price.
Please note: A 1500 Watt Power Inverter would have been better but the Ranger's hood space is very limited.

Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet Features:
Maximum Power: 1000 Watts
Peak Surge Output: 2000 Watts (0.1 sec)
Output Wave Form: Modified Sine Wave <--- check your devices, before purchasing, if they are capable running on this modified sine wave.
USB port: 1
Outlets for 120 VAC: 2
Power Output Wattage Indicator: Yes
Remote Switch: Yes - not use in my application
Low Voltage Alarm: Yes
Low Voltage Shutdown: Yes
OverLoad Protection: Yes
High Input Voltage Protection: Yes
Thermal Protection: Yes
Fault LED: Yes
Battery Cables: Yes - included

Construction hints/tips/suggestions:
I cut a 1/4" plywood just bigger than the inverter and painted it with high temperature black paint.
Using 4 nylons bolts/nuts, I attached it to the plywood using the provided mounting holes on the inverter. Then I tie wrapped the assembly, using a very long nylon tie wrap, to the battery strap to secure the power inverter.
Warning: Please note: There are many things to consider when using and choosing a power inverter. The printed manual is very concise and before you purchase a 1000W Duralast Inverter you should read the manual. So far, I cannot locate a PDF manual on the Internet but will keep looking!
See pictures below ...

The Four of July is approaching and I will be making homemade ice cream, for the family and relatives, using my power inverter on the Ford Ranger. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Ranger Battery Space
Bat_space_1.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Duralast Power Inverter
Inverter.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Duralast Power Inverter Installed in Ford Ranger
Inverter_Installed.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
After using the power inverter, you need to disconnect the load(s), turn off the inverter power switch and disconnect the power input cable(s) to keep from draining the Ford Ranger main battery. The Duralast 1000W maximum "no load" current draw is <= 1.5 A. I chose to insert a 150A inline fuse/breaker/switch to conveniently disable the Duralast Mobile Power Inverter when not in use. Just pushing the red breaker switch button is all that is needed to prevent any draining of the main battery. This breaker assembly cost ~ 1/2 what I paid for the Duralast 1000W power inverter! This is the price you pay for being lazy and not manually disconnecting the battery cables after every use.
Please note: Even though the power inverter has a low battery input voltage shutdown, it still draws the "no load current" and the only way to prevent from draining the main vehicle battery is to disconnect or interrupt the main 12 VDC input power to the inverter. Using a 150A inline fuse/breaker/switch will also do the trick.
Installation: I just tie wrapped the inline breaker to the 1/4" plywood base.
Operation: Press the red button to open the positive circuit for storage and closing the "red lever" will allow positive current to flow for operation.
Safety enhancement: I installed duct tape over all receptacles to prevent any water or liquid spillage on the power inverter. :cool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RKVRQD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Disclaimer: There are other inverters and inline fuses/breakers that will do the same job. There are no endorsement to the above product vendors. This power inverter installation requires some knowledge of electrical systems and if improperly installed could cause a fire hazard in which I am not responsible. :facepalm:
End of Project
DIYAndy 7/1/2020
See installed picture below - the breaker is pictured "open"
Open.JPG

Last edited:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So what can I power with the Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet? <--- Plenty!
(Per enclosed spec card and enclosed owner's manual)

Heavy Duty Work Light 990 Watts
1/2 H.P. Air Compressor 975 Watts
1/3 Submersible Pump 920 Watts
Reciprocating Saw 720 Watts
1/2 Reversible Drill 620 Watts
Coffee Maker 600 Watts
Portable Vacuum 525 Watts
Blender 450 Watts
Orbital Sander 400 Watts
Home Stereo 350 Watts
3/8" Drill 320 Watts
20" TV/VCR Combo 300 Watts
Computer/Printer/Fax 150 Watts
Halogen Light Bulb 100 Watts
Ice cream makers - I added this! :)

Below 100 Watts:
Mini Stereo
CD Player
Lap Top Computer
8" TV
Home Video Game
Cell Phone
Camcorder Charger
14.0 Volt Cordless Drill Charger

Do not operate high-wattage appliances or equipment that will produce heat, such as hair dryers, irons, heaters and toaster, with this Mobile Power Outlet.

When you turn on an appliance or device, it will require twice the rated wattage of the appliance or device to start. This is known as the "starting load" or "peak load." To determine the starting load or peak load, multiply the rated wattage by two. If this exceeds the peak surge output of the Mobile Power Outlet (2000 watts [0.1 sec]), Do not operate the appliance or device with the Mobile Power Outlet.

The following devices many not work with a "modified sine wave" of the Mobile Power Outlet:
(You can solve this problem by switching to a more expensive "pure/true sine wave" inverter!)

Photocopiers, laser printers, magneto-optical hard drives
Some laptops
Metal halide arc (MHI) lights
Some fluorescent lights with electronic ballasts
Power tools that use solid-state power
Fans and power tools that use variable speed controls
Some new furnaces and pellet stoves with microprocessor control
Digital radios and clocks
Sewing machines with speed/microprocessor control
Electronics that modulate radio frequency signals on the AC line
X-10 home automation systems
Oxygen concentrators and other medical equipment

Most battery chargers can be connected to the AC receptacles. Battery chargers that use separate transformers or chargers that plug into the AC receptacle to supply a low-voltage DC-to-AC output should work. However, battery chargers for small nickel-cadmium batteries can be damaged if plugged into the Mobile Power Outlet.

The following appliances or devices could be damaged if plugged into the Mobile Power Outlet:
Small battery-operated appliances that can be plugged directly into the AC receptacle such as
flashlights, cordless razors and toothbrushes. Certain battery chargers for cordless tool battery packs. These chargers can be identified by a warning label stating dangerous voltages are present at the battery terminals.

The above owner's manual information are careful considerations when using the Duralast 1000W Mobile Power Outlet! :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Duralast 1000W Mobile Power Outlet Application #1 for the Ford Ranger.
My next door neighbor has a Ford Ranger with the rear sliding window. He also installed the Duralast 1000W Inverter. Since he works in the construction trades, he has a Lasko high speed fan (110AC/~240 Watts ) for moving air. He uses the power inverter and fan to circulate/pre-cool the air out the rear window, after his work day, in his Ranger's cab before driving home. The cooling results is quite amazing. :cool:

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How do you weatherproof the inverter?

Or is that even necessary?

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How do you weatherproof the inverter?
The manual say's it should be attended to at all times when turning on the inverter for use.
The hood should protect the power inverter from impending snow/rain since it is installed just below and before the battery. I put duct tape over the open receptacles openings before use. Keep in mind there are two fans / openings on the left and right which cannot be obstructed for proper cooling.
Another expensive option is to mount the inverter in the cab or protected truck bed with extension DC cables. :cool:
Keep in mind, by mounting the inverter in the cab could cause it to not to function due to trapped high heat from a hot summer day.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like to point out that using the "Emergency" Duralast 1000W Mobile Power Outlet (Inverter) I will always:
1. Attend to the operation of the power inverter for safety.
2. Keep the engine running, at all times, to charge the battery from any drainage from the Duralast power inverter.
3. After every use - disable the inverter from the starting battery with the in-line breaker to keep from running down the main starting battery on the Ranger.
:cool:

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
weatherproof the inverter?
I don't think there is a IP67, weatherproof, water resistant power inverter made but if there was it would be the most expensive inverter to buy. I just put a DIY Gorilla duct tape flap over the Duralast receptacles to protect the inverter from liquid spillage.
Updated - clarification. I might add that a power inverter is solid state electronics which needs cooling and heat dissipation and by weatherproofing the enclosure will fry the electronics.
See pic below ...
DSCN0928.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet Application #2
We borrowed a small 1.7 cubic foot refrigerator from a friend. This Walmart model Galanz GL17BK only uses 0.8 Amps @ 120 AC and just fits my Ford Ranger height of 19.5" under my DIY Tonneau truck bed cover. We were having several outings, over the 4th, and had to keep some food frozen and some refrigerated. Using the power inverter and this refrigerator we had no problem keeping the food cold/frozen in the back of the Ford Ranger. :cool:

BTW - I found another 1000W power inverter that will fit into the Ford Ranger hood space.
Walmart has their Everstart 1000W power inverter for about $85. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Duralast 1000 Watt Mobile Power Outlet Application #3
Out in rural Ohio, my friends loss electrical power to their home during some heavy rainfall.
Their basement 1/3 HP sump pump was inoperative, due to loss of electricity, so I took my
Ranger, with inverter, and a long extension cord to provide power for their sump pump to
prevent their basement from flooding. Ford Ranger to the rescue! :cool:

Last edited:

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
What can the outlet in back seat power. Wondering on limit.
shop vac?
Power washer 2000pis?
Serious question.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What can the outlet in back seat power. Wondering on limit.
shop vac?
Power washer 2000pis?
Serious question.
Are you referring to the Duralast 1000 watt Mobile Power Inverter?
Sponsored