micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
okay...but the question is do you have to have the truck in run/accessory mode to initiate the cycle.....I guess the better question is the power active always? In other words do I have to cycle the truck to use my bed lights or is that bed power now always hot?
In stock configuration the power comes on with accy position 1 of the IGN, so you do have to cycle to at least accessory after they would time out.

Now, in theory, they should never timeout. Until the battery gets below 11.8V as Ethan said.
I added some info on that after you quoted me.
Sponsored

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
I used the BCM module to change it, Disabled Power Point Feature.
1609268914874.png

But can confirm after change that was the Hex change, 726-39-01 setting XXXX X1XX XXXX, changed 1 to 0.

I am going on 2.5 hours and power is still there vs stock setting of 4500 sec (1.5 hrs).

Confirmed! this also applies to the rear power ports AND the aux power to the bed.?

And Battery saver will shut them off if the battery gets too low. I can also confirm this as I was doing some testing with low battery (I discovered) and my bed lights would shut off after like 30sec after turning the IGN off. This was before my ForScan mods so had me freaked out a bit! The bed light install was not a quick n easy!
Great info! This should be pinned somewhere, lol.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I like the Wolf Haus kit, but I'd rather just have the 12v plug in the bed instead of needing a pigtail.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I like the Wolf Haus kit, but I'd rather just have the 12v plug in the bed instead of needing a pigtail.
If only ford had made that hole slightly bigger... Or just put it in all the trucks like the Ridgeline and other brands.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
If only ford had made that hole slightly bigger... Or just put it in all the trucks like the Ridgeline and other brands.
Is that why? Saves me the effort of researching it and making my own. I’ll have to order one in March.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is that why? Saves me the effort of researching it and making my own. I’ll have to order one in March.
Yeah, I basically use the best option for maintaining the 12V/20A rating and keeping it as weather resistant as I can without any modifications to the bed. Mostly because (where I live) anything you do to the metal on a vehicle just rusts the first winter.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
There is a Ford part, but you have to cut a new hole. The advantage of the third party solution is it uses an existing hole.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I basically use the best option for maintaining the 12V/20A rating and keeping it as weather resistant as I can without any modifications to the bed. Mostly because (where I live) anything you do to the metal on a vehicle just rusts the first winter.
Hi Ethan,

I am and remain a fan of your product! Kudos! Oh btw...You expect F Series and Ranger folks to talk and standardize? Cold day in hell for that to happen.... So there you go Ethan...lapsing into logic...Sheesh! :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

lloydr1206

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew
Yeah I considered doing that, but decided to keep it simple and minimize wires.
I also chopped the switch that came with my Nilights in place of one I could mount thru the hole in the back of the bed.
Finished job! Thanks again Ethan!
n6wmbRFBy37-YL3dBzSD74Bpu=w1251-h938-no?authuser=0.jpg
did that button fit right in the hole or did you have to drill? If it fits can you provide a link for that button?
Thank you.

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
did that button fit right in the hole or did you have to drill? If it fits can you provide a link for that button?
Thank you.
FYI, that hole is ~0.6 inch diameter with the bedliner stuff, but (if you scrape back some of the plastic) should fit a common 16mm ~ 5/8 inch "16mm push button switch" (search that on amazon).

I'll actually be testing this soon with some other bed lighting options...

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you.
Though this ( APIELE (Pcs of 2) 12mm Latching Push Button Switch High Round Head Stainless Steel 1 Normally Open with Ring Led (Red): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific ) is a bit smaller and might work better... Hopefully I'll know later this week when amazon delivers. But otherwise, only issue I have is getting my hand all the way up there to tighten the nut on the back side, lol...

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you.
No drilling needed, actually had to add a SS washer.
LINK
I like the one Ethan linked to, same price so you might wait to see how it works for him.

And yes, reaching up to that hole inside the fender is a bitch! One vote for my switch the nut is built into the rubber boot on the FRONT side. Just hold the wire pig tail on the backside and hand tighten the nut/rubber boot.

Last edited:

lloydr1206

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercrew

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll wait to see how you make out, thanks.
So, here's what I've been up to...

2021-02-28 17_02_47-_DSC1805.JPG - IrfanView (Zoom_ 2923 x 1945).png

With the help of my brother, we've been working on a 3D printed insert for that hole that will allow you to use a standard 12MM "Anti Vandal" switch without having to deal with anything "behind" the wall of the bed. (E.g. APIELE (Pcs of 2) 12mm Latching Push Button Switch High Round Head Stainless Steel 1 Normally Open with Ring Led (Blue): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific )

On that note, the 16MM switches MAY fit if you don't have any spray in bedliner, and even then you might need to slightly enlarge the hole. The 12mm is way too small, when used by itself.
Sponsored