Cruise Control and towing

jtzako

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT Tremor
I dont think using CC is an issue, even on older systems when the road ahead is clear. However, you shouldnt rely on its distance control or automatic braking. You need to be much farther away from the vehicle in front than the distance the ACC allows.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
We tow our travel trailer frequently, but I haven't used the CC at all. You members out west where the traffic isn't too bad, are lucky, especially on the interstates where you are able to use it.
But here in the eastern side, traffic is bad enough that I would never use it....just too much slowing and speeding up to trust it and it becomes a nuisance to keep monitoring it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
We tow our travel trailer frequently, but I haven't used the CC at all. You members out west where the traffic isn't too bad, are lucky, especially on the interstates where you are able to use it.
But here in the eastern side, traffic is bad enough that I would never use it....just too much slowing and speeding up to trust it and it becomes a nuisance to keep monitoring it.
Apparently you haven't been out west in a long time if at all........

Being from the East/Midwest I can tell you the drivers and traffic is better out there!!

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I should clarify, I didn't use cruise control until I left Florida...

Florida drivers are a bunch of freaking whackos.

But boy was it nice coming across the middle of Oklahoma, Texas, new mexico and Colorado to set it and forget it.... Until those cross winds... 😂

And I had a little 4x8 uhaul trailer... It was the 2 kayaks on the roof that acted like real sails...

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I don't have ACC. Just basic cruise control.

I'll use it, but I'm a lot pickier about when I use it if I'm towing and it's related to the increased stopping distance and the possibility of the trailer getting out of control if something unexpected happens. So things like weather, traffic, terrain, etc. are the major factors that determine whether I'll use it.

I tried using cruise when towing my little trailer with the Subaru and I did NOT like how the transmission behaved. So for that car, I stay away from cruise control when towing for that reason in addition to the above.

humanprimate

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Science teacher
Hey just wondering, does anyone use the cruise control while towing?
I understand these cruise systems are now more of a driver assist option than the original cruise on and off systems, so does anyone think it would safe enough to use?
I never use the cruise in bad weather so I was not to sure about the towing with it.
Just got back from a 2600 mile trip to Glacier and Yellowstone and used it almost the entire time with zero issues.
Screenshot_20230630_230534_Maps.jpg
20230711_232504.jpg
20230705_211407.jpg
20230707_204549.jpg

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I turned ACC and the Emergency Braking Assist crap off. They are both more dangerous than any potential safety they provide.

I use regular CC constantly, towing or not providing the traffic conditions make it less work than not using it. If traffic is dense, I'll be very selective using it and retain more foot control.

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
Never user acc while towing, I'm pulling my 5x8 with a zero turn on it on a short 200 mile round trip over the weekend, perhaps I'll see how it does then.

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
I use ACC when towing all the time. ACC set to maximum distance and use tow mode. However, I generally drive at 60 so people passing don't sit right in front of me, they move away.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I use ACC when towing all the time. ACC set to maximum distance and use tow mode. However, I generally drive at 60 so people passing don't sit right in front of me, they move away.
that's what I found when I was towing, we would be going ~63-65 mph and folks would just go around us.

I gotta say one thing I noticed out west here is that if you're in the right hand lane and chugging along no one flies up behind you and gets bent out of shape that you're doing 65 in a 75 zone. they just go around you. in south florida they fly up behind you (no matter what lane) get inches from your bumper flash their lights, blow their horns and zig zag around you only to cut you off and slma on their brakes.

Have I mentioned I am enjoying living in colorado more than florida yet today?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Can you share more about what information led you to this conclusion?
Multiple times they kicked in for things that were not dangerous.

Once was on the freeway, on a large sweeping bend. I was in the inside lane on the left, and passing a vehicle in the outside lane on my right. Due to the straight line viewing of the sensors, they picked up the other vehicle and shut down the CC with a car behind me. Immediately lost 10+ mph, which the car behind me wasn't expecting (because there was no reason to expect it) and ended up running very close to me. Not on the verge of high danger, but an unnecessary situation.

The other situation which was much, much worse, I was driving a 2 lane 50mph road, approaching a 3 way intersection. My road continued straight through, and a another road T'd off to the right. It was very late at night, and no other traffic on the road, other than the semi. Again, I was in the left lane. When I was ~3/4 mile away, my light was red and there was a semi-truck stopped or slowing in the right lane. I cancelled the CC and coasted, then the light turned green and I resumed CC. As I entered the intersection, the ACC picked up the semi in the right lane, and the traffic island on my left, both slightly ahead of me, and slammed the brakes on. My lane was completely clear, and a second later they released and went back to free driving. The brake application was so severe, that had there been any rain or snow, I have no doubt it would have caused some lack of traction and easily could have put me into the back of the truck or the median.

Both of these situations were made more dangerous because of the AI system, and the second could have easily been lethal in the right conditions.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Multiple times they kicked in for things that were not dangerous.

Once was on the freeway, on a large sweeping bend. I was in the inside lane on the left, and passing a vehicle in the outside lane on my right. Due to the straight line viewing of the sensors, they picked up the other vehicle and shut down the CC with a car behind me. Immediately lost 10+ mph, which the car behind me wasn't expecting (because there was no reason to expect it) and ended up running very close to me. Not on the verge of high danger, but an unnecessary situation.

The other situation which was much, much worse, I was driving a 2 lane 50mph road, approaching a 3 way intersection. My road continued straight through, and a another road T'd off to the right. It was very late at night, and no other traffic on the road, other than the semi. Again, I was in the left lane. When I was ~3/4 mile away, my light was red and there was a semi-truck stopped or slowing in the right lane. I cancelled the CC and coasted, then the light turned green and I resumed CC. As I entered the intersection, the ACC picked up the semi in the right lane, and the traffic island on my left, both slightly ahead of me, and slammed the brakes on. My lane was completely clear, and a second later they released and went back to free driving. The brake application was so severe, that had there been any rain or snow, I have no doubt it would have caused some lack of traction and easily could have put me into the back of the truck or the median.

Both of these situations were made more dangerous because of the AI system, and the second could have easily been lethal in the right conditions.
Hard to know for sure based on the text above and not being there, but it sounds like your ACC is not calibrated correctly. Mine is very good about knowing when a vehicle is in the side lane, even on curves. The truck knows you are turning becasue the steering wheel is turned. It should adjust the ACC to compensate. I look at the little icon that shows when the truck thinks a vehicle is in front of you and notice that vehicle icon disappears right when then vehicle in front moves to a side lane.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
ACC ≠ AI
Sponsored