First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
Average is just that...a halfway number between a high and low. So if he lives in a high (see what I did there) area, they are quoting a 2.5 hr job
The original quote was 3.0-3.5 hours at $145/hour labor not including taxes.
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
The original quote was 3.0-3.5 hours at $145/hour labor not including taxes.
if that rate is what other area shops post, that will tell all

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
paying anything below a quoted price is giving it away for free.
my time is money. I value my money and i charge accordingly for my services.
if you cant grasp supply and demand, then by all means dont ever go to that shop ever again...your loss will not be noticed. sorry to say. someone will fill your spot faster than you can slam the door shut when you walk out angry at the price.

True his (1) loss will not be noticed BUT there was a study (they told me when i worked retail some years ago) If you have a good interaction with said business the customer will tell 2 others BUT if you have a bad interaction that # goes up exponentially (cant remember the exact #) somewhere in the 15-20 but im not remembering.

it seems the point is you may be (i say "may" because i have never interacted with you) the best place of business but if people dont feel there getting a fair deal they will go to the place down the road which may or may not be as good as yours.

that said if you are the only place to have it done then you can charge any rate you want

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I'd say there's a few items missing from the story here. Has the shop ever done something like this before? If the quote called for 3-3.5 hours that's how long they presume it will take to remove the bumper and fiddle around with everything. 145 bucks an hour seems a bit steep but it's not my shop. Did the OP tell them that the bumper did not need to be removed, or they could just be cut out?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Average is just that...a halfway number between a high and low. So if he lives in a high (see what I did there) area, they are quoting a 2.5 hr job
Probably lives in Lake Wobegon, where ALL the kids are above average.

OP
OP
Pirate

Pirate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Bush Pilot
I'd say there's a few items missing from the story here. Has the shop ever done something like this before? If the quote called for 3-3.5 hours that's how long they presume it will take to remove the bumper and fiddle around with everything. 145 bucks an hour seems a bit steep but it's not my shop. Did the OP tell them that the bumper did not need to be removed, or they could just be cut out?
This is a 4wd specific shop. They cut crash bars on a regular basis. I did inform them that bumper removal was not necessary. Long story short, I bought a grinder for $20 from Harbor Freight and cut the bars out in 30 minutes.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Some businesses operate on the same wavelength. Its not malicious in intent, its just how the free market works.
You hit the nail on the head.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
FLAME WAR!!! *Tosses grenade*

Sooo much butthurt....feels like a mentstrual cycle just blew through here at 180mph. By the way, that's 289.7kph/Canadian. The sense of entitlement in this post is astounding. A business owner sets his own price schedule and it's none of your F-ing buisiness how they came to those decisions. If you don't like the price quoted for a job, don't complain to the owner and don't ask for an explanation as to why the price is so high. Simply say thank you then close your friggin mouth, turn around, and get on down the road. They don't owe you anything. At the top of that list is an explanation. Eventually, the problem will take care of itself as word gets around. You all know how the rumor mill works. The OP was quoted $500 for removing his crash bars. By the time his story makes it out the other side of the rumor mill in whatever city he lives in or makes the rounds on his favorite internet forum, he will have been quoted $1500 for replacing the air in his tires and people will start avoiding that business based on what they heard from their father's brother's cousin's nephew's former roommate's Facebook feed. And if you didn't catch that Spaceballs reference, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

unnamed.jpg
The Schwartz is strong with this one. :ninja:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
But to get back on off topic. Who cares.

The OP laughed and its "nobody's F-ing business" why their body felt like letting out a laugh. Same thing right? Nobody said they can't charge that much, its their business they can do what they want. And yes I have seen Spaceballs but it was so long ago I hardly remember it anymore so if you don't want to be friends so be it.
Your points aren't wrong but no reason we can't disagree and still be Ranger friends :captain::turkey:

I often wish I had prices that people have around here for installation, being in a city with a higher COL makes it very different...

motormike

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 ford 150, 2020 XLT RANGER 4X4
Occupation
RETIRED
Vehicle Showcase
Curious,

What's everyone paying to have them removed? I was quoted $500 from a local shop and have a good laugh.
MY SHOP CHARGED ME $75
Curious,

What's everyone paying to have them removed? I was quoted $500 from a local shop and have a good laugh.
My shop charged me $75 while installing the level kit

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Just piling onto the stack here. Harbor freight grinder with metal cuttoff wheel, a hand powered hacksaw I had laying around, and a socket set were all the tools I needed to get the crash bars off in about a half hour. It really is super simple, the metal cutoff wheel cuts through the crashbars like butter too btw.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Curious,

They built the truck around the crash bars. It is a PITA to get them out. They pay the shop guy $15 or $20 an hour for 2 hours labor, the bosses pay the rent, tool costs, utilities and make their boat payment with the rest. I got mine off w/ a 5" angle grinder $130 @ Lowes. (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-5-in-24-Volt-Max-Cordless-Angle-Grinder/1000093007) Mine came w/ weanie 2ah l-ion battery, ran down before I did. Looks like they no longer include the case, charger and battery so you would have to get them seperate. Here is the 6ah battery I use - you will get tired before it runs out. (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-Volt-Max-6-Amp-Hour-Lithium-Power-Tool-Battery/1000638895) and the hier watt charger so it will not take forever to charge (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-24-Volt-Max-Power-Tool-Battery-Charger/1000604951). So $300, DIY, 2 hours. and you get to keep the tools!. Kind of a noisy process so plug your ears.
Sponsored