Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I removed mine for free. No cutting, just unbolted and got really creative with pulling, jiggling, and some bending of unimportant aluminum corners/ seams :D

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
you laughed because??

you thought it was outrageous that a business has costs and they need to charge an hourly rate to cover them.
AKA as business 101.
you gotta pay for your convenience. they wont do it for free.

you want free (or cheap) you step up and get your hands dirty.
I think $500 is outrageous and I completely understand businesses need to charge an hourly rate. That's just a crazy rate imo as well.

Last edited:

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
It took me all of 20 minutes to remove them without cutting and not knowing how to remove the bumper before I started. You don't have to remove the bumper completely, just remove the 3 retaining nuts from one side, pull the bumper out enough to clear the crash bar then put it back and remove the 3 nuts from the other side.

Addictive desert designs has instructions for bumper removal on their website, just look at one of their bumper install instructions.

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
you laughed because??

you thought it was outrageous that a business has costs and they need to charge an hourly rate to cover them.
AKA as business 101.
you gotta pay for your convenience. they wont do it for free.

you want free (or cheap) you step up and get your hands dirty.
Because with shop tools and a lift it shouldn't take more than 45 minutes to remove all four bars; you don't think $500/hr is a little excessive for working on a Ranger?

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, they gotta pay for those shop tools and a lift as well. that shit isnt free either. neither is the air compressor to run them or the lights to see what their doing....you get it though. you're not that dumb to realise all of this.
I don't think anyone expected the shop to do it for free so I'm not sure why you keep using the word free. There is a wide range between $1 and $500.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Anyways, lets get back on topic. You really can remove them yourself with minimal tools. I wish I made a video.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
20 minutes? you're good.
if a Ford shop hired you, their profit margins would be through the roof on your labor rates alone.
Here are the steps I took:

1. Turn the wheel to full driver.

2. Remove 2x 15mm bolts, and loosen 2x bolts holding skid plate using impact driver (not wrench). Place Skid plate aside. (2 of the bolts don't need to be fully removed)

3. Remove 5x 11mm bolts from bottom of bumper using impact. (ADD site says 11mm, but if memory serves they weren't 11mm. I think 10mm?)

4. Remove 5x plastic snap plugs on top side of intercooler opening from bumper.

5. Pull off the front/lower plastic piece of the front bumper.

6. Remove 3x 21mm bumper mounting nuts on driver side with impact wrench.

7. Pull drivers side of bumper forward enough to clear crash bars.

8. Remove 2x 15mm bolts from top of driver's side crash bar using ratchet (there wasn't enough clearance for an impact.) Pull out crash bar.

9. Put bumper back into place and reinstall the 3x 21mm bumper mounting nuts with impact wrench. Use ratchet to verify torque.

10. Turn the wheel all the way passenger.

11. Remove 3x 21mm bumper mounting nuts on passenger side with impact wrench.

12. Pull passenger side of bumper forward enough to clear crash bars.

13. Remove 2x 15mm bolts from top of passenger side crash bar using ratchet. Remove Crash bar.

14. Put bumper back into place and reinstall the 3x 21mm bumper mounting nuts with impact wrench. Use ratchet to verify torque.

15. Reinstall front/lower plastic piece of the front bumper

16. Re-install 5x plastic snap plugs on top side of intercooler opening.

17. Re-install 5x 11mm bolts using impact driver. Verify torque with ratchet.

18. Lay on back with skid plate on top of me. Push skid plate into the 2 bolts that are still on the frame. Install the other 2 bolts that were removed, tighten using impact wrench. Verify torque with ratchet.

It really was no big deal. As I said 20 minutes.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
what do you think is fair?
once you start the process of engaging the service writer, the clock ticks until you pay the cashier and walk out the door. all those costs are worked into the hourly rate.
sure the mechanic could buzz them out in 20 minutes like another member claims it took him, or they could be doing it properly and taking more time, properly removing items and not cutting them off and banging them out.

bottom line is you dont like the price, you have the option of walking away.
Personally, I think 1 hour of labor is a fair price. Which would vary of course based on the shop's labor rate.

Mmmmmnachos

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
what do you think is fair?
once you start the process of engaging the service writer, the clock ticks until you pay the cashier and walk out the door. all those costs are worked into the hourly rate.
sure the mechanic could buzz them out in 20 minutes like another member claims it took him, or they could be doing it properly and taking more time, properly removing items and not cutting them off and banging them out.

bottom line is you dont like the price, you have the option of walking away.
Hey if you paid $500 I apologize sheesh.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Part of the price may be the liability of removing part of the truck’s safety structure. Those crash bars are there (and named as such) for a reason.

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
What is a crashbar, and what would be reasons for removing it?

I ask this for education, and definitely not questioning the OP.

Thanks!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Part of the price may be the liability of removing part of the truck’s safety structure. Those crash bars are there (and named as such) for a reason.
Then why are they not present on Raptors overseas?

I'm not saying they don't serve a purpose, but I think it has more to do with appeasing US government than being consumer minded.
Sponsored