First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Occupation
Barber
Hello I've previously posted about the ticking and dripping noise behind the dash. That noise is seen have stopped but I have a coolant issue My coolant was below minimum so I took it into the dealer they ran the pressure test on it said there was no leaks anywhere I happen to know somebody who works for this dealership who is pretty high up there so I had them the shop foreman and the main tech go over it with a fine tooth comb and they can't find any reason that I'm losing coolant so they filled it up to the max and set me on my way and said if it happens again to bring it back I drive down the street drive it for about 30-40 minutes I pop the hood and it's down low again not quite to minimum but almost there anybody experience this Can anybody tell me why this is happening because Ford is telling me that they have no idea why it's happening and now I have to bring a truck back tomorrow again and it's getting very frustrating If somebody could give me some insight into this it would be greatly appreciated Ford has claimed they've done everything they can and I just don't believe that.
Sponsored

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Hello I've previously posted about the ticking and dripping noise behind the dash. That noise is seen have stopped but I have a coolant issue My coolant was below minimum so I took it into the dealer they ran the pressure test on it said there was no leaks anywhere I happen to know somebody who works for this dealership who is pretty high up there so I had them the shop foreman and the main tech go over it with a fine tooth comb and they can't find any reason that I'm losing coolant so they filled it up to the max and set me on my way and said if it happens again to bring it back I drive down the street drive it for about 30-40 minutes I pop the hood and it's down low again not quite to minimum but almost there anybody experience this Can anybody tell me why this is happening because Ford is telling me that they have no idea why it's happening and now I have to bring a truck back tomorrow again and it's getting very frustrating If somebody could give me some insight into this it would be greatly appreciated Ford has claimed they've done everything they can and I just don't believe that.
That almost sounds like a head gasket to me. But I don't have any experience with those on our engines. How many miles on your truck?

Is the water noise behind the dash kind of a trickling?

Have you tried k seal or anything similar?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Faulty radiator cap (the pressure one, not the overflow jug)? Getting that far up in the dealership hierarchy you'd assume somebody checked that, but maybe not. A weak cap could let hot, expanded coolant past to the overflow drain hose without leaking past the cap's seal.*

Any steamy-looking exhaust after fully warmed up? Whitish or chocolate shake- looking oil on the dipstick? Both are signs of coolant getting past the head gasket into one or more combustion chambers. I've not seen anything on R5G concerning coolant intrusion, but certain other Ford open deck, twin scroll engines have had numerous problems with this. A leak down test would confirm this, or an oddball leak that happens to drip on a hot exhaust pipe and boils off before leaking to the ground.

*edit: A faulty cap would allow coolant to the overflow jug, which would show a higher than full level. My bad. Still, a leak down test and or a compression ratio check would help reveal any internal leaks.

Last edited:

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Also worth considering a possible hairline crack in the radiator. But again, haven't heard of that issue on Rangers yet.

Loose hose maybe?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Coolant Loss without visible leaks:

1. Bad Reservoir Cap - Press Relief, Not letting cooling system to build pressure to circulate coolant properly, thus boiling it away ---This is the most likely and often overlooked item.
Test it with Pressure Tester and Cap Adapter should hold press at 21 lbs or whatever is on cap (spec) if press releases prior to 21 lbs its bad.

2. Bad Head Gasket - I have seen this quite a bit, the cooling system will hold pressure test 15lbs, (on older systems this is the most common pressure) it's not enough to push out into the cylinders, but however the cylinder pressure is greater and pushes pressure into the cooling system, thus not letting coolant cycle (flow) and you end up boiling away coolant. (Can be tested with combustion leak test fluid) it tests for Co2 in coolant.
This is a common tech overlook as (It's holding pressure so there is no leak), I have seen this issue more than once in my career.
One thing to look for with this issue is that you will never fully get the air out of the system when performing system refill and system bleed aka (Burping the system)
If you watch recovery tank you can see coolant rise and fall quickly, this is the air bubbles created by the pistons (pressurizing the system)
Normally, you should see the occasional burp (Bubbles), and when the bubbles stop, the system is bled of air.

NOTE: A bad head gasket (coolant leaking) does not always leak into the oil system, is a FYI point in troubleshooting, thus another reason techs miss this

3. Other possibilities, Cooling Fan, Water Pump, Cabin Heater Pump, T-stat, or blockage in system, but these will more towards overheating issues

I'm going to say Item #1 - is your issue and cheapest to fix as well

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Head gasket. You will have to leave it overniggt so a competent mechanic can do proper testing with the engine cold.

Hopefully a bad radiator cap

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
One thing to understand with the cooling system on the Ranger. Being a surge tank vs an overflow tank it is NORMAL for the coolant level to go down a little when warmed up. It is simply the air in the system taking up that space vs being in the other parts of the cooling system. After cool down the coolant level may be higher. This is nothing to sweat unless something is leaking very slowly. If it held under pressue chances are there is no leak. One thing I have seen on the 2.0 ECOBOOST engines is the head gasket leaking and the only way to tell is pressure test it over night and pull the plugs in the morning. Other then that who knows.

underlanding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having the exact same problem! Even the water noise is something that happens occasionally.

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
Even more remotely possible, may be a leaking brazed plate HX for the transmission. You may see this leaking externally, at the transmission bellhousing area under the truck, or it could perhaps be leaking into the transmission. Not likely, but possible. The fluid is tough to check due to the dipstick set-up, but if your trans starts shifting particularly more oddly than normal, may be worth the hassle to check.

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
My guess is the EGR cooler. It happened to my wife's Escape. Luckily, a lot cheaper than a head gasket. But you should track the problem down before it contaminates your catalytic converter.

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Did you ever figure out what was causing this? I just got back from a road trip and noticed mine was below the min line. It was filled by the dealer in March on my second to last oil change. I don’t see any leaks and this is really confusing me.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
See white smoke in your rear view mirror when you accelerate? Smell anything sweet around your truck?
Sponsored