First Name
tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Occupation
armed service
The 10sp was perfect in my 2018 F150. I traded it in because I didn’t need that size truck. I have a Lariat FX4 Ranger now and it is nice, and goes places my F150 wouldn’t, and has the same transmission. Mustang has the same transmission too. There’s no pending class action suit on the transmission either. Chevy codeveloped and uses the same transmission too. Maybe you should buy a Dodge instead.
There are absolute multiple pending class action lawsuits. and the mustang is troubled with transmission problems as well to include the Garage mt82.... some have which have lead to injuries.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/ford-f-150-10r80-transmission-class-action-lawsuit-filed/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...ord-class-action-alleges-transmission-defect/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-f-150-automatic-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

https://www.classaction.org/ford-f-150-transmission-problem-lawsuit

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2011-2019-ford-mustang-manual-transmission-getrag-lawsuit/

https://advancedtransmission.com/2019/11/15/what-to-know-about-gm-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/lawsuit-brought-against-ford-transmission-co-developed-with-gm/

https://komonews.com/news/tech/consumer-reports-finds-vehicle-redesigns-come-with-glitches

https://alexanderlaw.com/blog/2018/...r-pickups-and-suvs-for-transmission-problems/

Try some research from time to time, some of us have already done so and know people involved in the cases....
Sponsored

Last edited:

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Gents, I currently own a 2018 F-150 5.0 that I love but sadly with far less than 20k miles is plagued with transmission, electrical and interior problems. This seems to be a prevailing problem for f-150s across the board. Have you guys and girls had good transmissions and reliability? how about MPG with FX4 package? all info is greatly appreciated.
If you decide on a Ranger, test drive the one you intend to buy and don't assume they all drive alike. I test drove a 2020 Lariat and loved it, then found a 2019 XLT loaded the way I wanted it, but my liking for the truck overrode the warnings I got mentally when I drove it. It was a Certified Pre Owned Ranger with 12400 miles (put on over 6 months of use) and had what is called a shudder from the driveline that the dealer (and Ford) is monumentally uninterested in fixing. The issue starts at low RPM and feels like bucking behind the seat, in the middle. It is not as noticeable if you accelerate hard, but most of my driving is done in-town and not on the highway. If you feel anything like this on the test drive, avoid that vehicle and try another one until you find one that doesn't do it. Wish I had bought the new Lariat I test drove, even though it was $10K more.

OP
OP
ddtcm81

ddtcm81

First Name
tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Occupation
armed service
If you decide on a Ranger, test drive the one you intend to buy and don't assume they all drive alike. I test drove a 2020 Lariat and loved it, then found a 2019 XLT loaded the way I wanted it, but my liking for the truck overrode the warnings I got mentally when I drove it. It was a Certified Pre Owned Ranger with 12400 miles (put on over 6 months of use) and had what is called a shudder from the driveline that the dealer (and Ford) is monumentally uninterested in fixing. The issue starts at low RPM and feels like bucking behind the seat, in the middle. It is not as noticeable if you accelerate hard, but most of my driving is done in-town and not on the highway. If you feel anything like this on the test drive, avoid that vehicle and try another one until you find one that doesn't do it. Wish I had bought the new Lariat I test drove, even though it was $10K more.
That is the problem a worry about, the warrantee is great and all, but Ford ether has a few products that are unfixable, or are just not interested in fixing them. this worries me.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
That is the problem a worry about, the warrantee is great and all, but Ford ether has a few products that are unfixable, or are just not interested in fixing them. this worries me.
After reading this thread, I don't think the Ranger is for you. You've clearly had a very negative experience with Ford. The lack of faith in the product will create too much anxiety for you, and so I don't think you would ever be able to enjoy a Ranger. Good luck finding a trustworthy vehicle, and don't forget to check back in to let us know what you got!

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Pending lawsuits, and the MT82 is the only one that MIGHT make its way through since they went with a shitty Chinese transmission in some of the Mustangs. Ford will probably eat that one and put the tremec in them for free, replacing the getrag. Some people just like to sue. Did you have them reflash the TCM for you? That fixes them (you said there isn’t a fix) unless it was driven to the point of mechanical damage.

OP
OP
ddtcm81

ddtcm81

First Name
tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Occupation
armed service
.... that is what I said.. pending. The investigation ended and the case is open. At this point there absolutely is no fix for them hence the class action, Ford has no fix and or will not fix them that is the primary reason for the lawsuit. Research instead of making up things, the pending lawsuit even cite from Ford "their is no computer update that can correct it". that was as of July 2020.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddtcm81

ddtcm81

First Name
tc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Occupation
armed service
After reading this thread, I don't think the Ranger is for you. You've clearly had a very negative experience with Ford. The lack of faith in the product will create too much anxiety for you, and so I don't think you would ever be able to enjoy a Ranger. Good luck finding a trustworthy vehicle, and don't forget to check back in to let us know what you got!
I don't think I will buy any other brand.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
The point that you need take away from this thread and this website is that the overwhelming majority of Ranger owners have little to no issues/complaints about their trucks. Rather most love their trucks.

Deleted member 1634

The point that you need take away from this thread and this website is that the overwhelming majority of Ranger owners have little to no issues/complaints about their trucks. Rather most love their trucks.
Agreed! Everyone likes to focus on the negatives. And most of the negatives stated on this forum are either superficial, rare/unique, or things most people would never even think to look for or know existed otherwise over the life of the vehicle. You'll always find something wrong if that's what you're looking for. Every vehicle will have some negatives. Nothing is perfect.

Deleted member 1634

and alot of the negatives are perpetuated by misinformation, un-education and just bad understanding of the system. not to mention people just love to hate on a product for the sake of hating.
The amount of times just reading the manual would've solved the ranting and raving of some people is very frustrating to me. Reading the manual should be one of the first things you do. Even more frustrating is the fact that since those incorrect ramblings are now recorded on this forum, other equally misinformed people can use them as fodder and evidence that something is wrong. This is obviously a bigger internet issue than just this forum though, sadly.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The amount of times just reading the manual would've solved the ranting and raving of some people is very frustrating to me. Reading the manual should be one of the first things you do.
also make sure you read the posts that correct the errors in the (insanely badly edited) manual :crackup:

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I've had two F150's, a 2015 and 2018. Didn't care much for the transmission in the 2018, the tansmission to me was quirky and seemed confused on what to do sometimes. The trucks other than that were solid, no issues.

I have had my 2019 Ranger a little over 6 months now and am really enjoying it so far.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The bad(my opinion):
•Wish the rear seat backing folded all the way down. Under seat storage would be nice.
•Wish the fuel tank was a bit larger if not at least similar to a Tacoma(21gal.)
•Wish there was a manual transmission option like the Tacoma and upcoming Bronco.
•The transmission does smooth out with miles, but I was worried it would stay rough.
•For the price of the truck I think it should come with keyless entry and remote start. If I can start the truck with my phone, I should be given the option with my remote.

The Good:
•The little ecoboost is surprisingly powerful in the truck. I still find myself surprised with how quick it can be in stock form.
•Seats in my XLT are comfortable even after a long trip. I have test driven a Z71 Colorado, and it felt like I was sitting on a park bench.
•If you plan on upgrading the suspension, skip the FX4 and just go 4x4. The Forums have shown that you can upgrade the terrain management to trucks without it using the Forscan and switch. Saying that, my truck performed flawlessly in Ocala National Forest. The biggest thing holding me back was the factory tires.

Would I buy this truck again, yes. Would I buy another truck other than this, yes. The initial truck I was interested in was a TRD Off-road Tacoma with a manual transmission. I do love my little Ranger though. I believe Ford built a hell of a little truck.

**Another bad for me, Alternator Location. Now I don’t plan on barreling into creeks or passable rivers, but the limit Ford places on this truck for water fording is laughable. South Florida just got pummeled with tons of rain the last 3 days due to the storm, and there were areas that I would question going through with my truck at stock height. A relocation would greatly be welcomed.

EC3320DB-4B3D-41B4-8C36-6C3CAD26C7A8.jpeg

Last edited: