Officially a Ranger Owner

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Last Friday night I was checking Phoenix area Ford dealer website and noticed a new 2021 Ranger Crew Cab FX4 with the tow package. I emailed the dealer and asked what the rebate was and if they would be willing to X-Plan it. Surprisingly they said yes and Ford was offering a $1000 rebate. I figured that was about as good of a deal as I would find in this market, so I told him I’ll be right down. Before I even left my house, I had a full out the door price negotiated. Really easy and straight forward deal. I am still really surprised they agreed to X-Plan a new Ranger that was not a custom order.

Now I will find out how good the Tacoma resale value is. I rejected the dealers trade-in offer, so I'll sell it myself.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Congrats Jim! That's a good deal considering the times we're in. Yes the Tacoma does have a very good resale value and that's what helped me get into my Ranger for a low price. While you do have the good drivetrain in your 2nd gen Tacoma I think you'll really like the drivetrain in the Ranger. It does tend to lug a bit in the upper gears on surface streets but you can lock them out, drive in S mode or even better get a tune. :D Looking forward to your review once you're able to put some miles on it.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Congratulations Jim, and you were quite lucky to get a deal like that now. Good deals are as rare as hen's teeth in my area. Enjoy that new Ranger.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Welcome... I did KBB instant offer on my WRX and got a really good offer from a local Nissan dealer, I used that as leverage at the ford dealer when they low balled me on my trade and they matched the KBB offer price by coming up another $2500. I didn't even argue about the price of the truck, cause they only had one in stock and they are in high demand.

I googled my WRX a few weeks later and it was at a dealer in upstate NY listed for a ridiculous $30K. It was a 2019 Base model. That's more than it retailed for in 2019.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimG_AZ

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I was very surprised they only offered me $15k for my Tacoma and stood firm. For being 11 years old, my Tacoma is in good shape and has low miles. I'll bet they would list it for $23-$26k. Yesterday I turned down an offer of $20k from a local used car dealer. I have an offer on the Tacoma now but it is pending the guy getting a loan.

On the Ranger the mods have already started. A soft tonneau cover is on order as well as a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite brake controller. The FX4 shocks will probably go and I am really going to miss my Falken Wildpeaks. If my Ranger had the 17" wheels I would swap those over from the Tacoma.

OP
OP
JimG_AZ

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
As a former 2nd gen Taco owner, I applaud your decision.
I have been happy with the Tacoma, but it is time for it to go to a new home. Since I am 6'4", the low seating position worked great for me, but my wife hated it. The 4.0L has been a great motor, but it is thirsty.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Jim, Welcome to being a Ranger owner. Great trucks. I too have an older Tacoma. 1999 2WD SCAB. Special ordered with the 3.4 V6, auto transmission, SR-5 package and sunroof. It just sit's in my garage these days most of the time. I try and drive it once a week or so. It's been paid off for 15 years LOL.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Jim, Welcome to being a Ranger owner. Great trucks. I too have an older Tacoma. 1999 2WD SCAB. Special ordered with the 3.4 V6, auto transmission, SR-5 package and sunroof. It just sit's in my garage these days most of the time. I try and drive it once a week or so. It's been paid off for 15 years LOL.
Nice, I wouldn't mind having an older paid off taco in the garage.
Sponsored