First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Retired Caterpillar, Inc. Senior Quality Engineer
Hi. I am new on here and have enjoyed reading the forum. I have a 2013 F150 Lariat 4WD SuperCrew and am seriously considering ordering a new 2020 Ranger, but after reading about all the problems everyone on here is reporting am having second thoughts. I will do my first test drive of the Ranger tomorrow morning. I know a lot of the problems are a result of it being a new product and there are assembly issues that can easily be corrected. However, one issue reported on here is engine noise (sounds like sewing machine or buzzing noise). That (depending on how loud and annoying it is) could stop me from being a buyer now. Is the engine really that annoying? I'm hoping some of you will convince me that the main issues with the Ranger are corrected and push me toward purchasing one. I really would like to get one, but don't want to purchase a truck with problems. Thanks!
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. I am new on here and have enjoyed reading the forum. I have a 2013 F150 Lariat 4WD SuperCrew and am seriously considering ordering a new 2020 Ranger, but after reading about all the problems everyone on here is reporting am having second thoughts. I will do my first test drive of the Ranger tomorrow morning. I know a lot of the problems are a result of it being a new product and there are assembly issues that can easily be corrected. However, one issue reported on here is engine noise (sounds like sewing machine or buzzing noise). That (depending on how loud and annoying it is) could stop me from being a buyer now. Is the engine really that annoying? I'm hoping some of you will convince me that the main issues with the Ranger are corrected and push me toward purchasing one. I really would like to get one, but don't want to purchase a truck with problems. Thanks!
I don't find the engine noise to be a problem. And I've had my truck for 4 months and almost 5000 miles and the only issue I've had is a slightly leaky turn signal in the passenger mirror (hardly a huge issue). I've been VERY happy with my truck. ZERO regrets. If you look at the forums, I think you will see a lot of similar stories.

The Lariat has the engine cover which helps to quiet down the injectors. The XL and XLTs do not have the cover, but it can be purchased separately and installed. I know some people have done that.

To put things in perspective, they have produced something like over 70,000 Rangers this year already (maybe more, I'm not quite sure). The isolated things you are seeing here are truly isolated issued I think. I've not seen really anything that would cause me to think this truck has any significant engineering or production flaws.

I would suggest you go test drive one yourself to see what you think.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
No issues here.
I would buy again.
Engine and trans not new design.
Body and frame really not new design, just new to USA.
Fun to drive, better in traffic and tight spots. Good ride height. Peppy engine.

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Many of the "issues" are one-offs to different owners. The thing is there isn't a compact Pickup with a better drivetrain combo.

I have not seen any warranty issues with mine so far at 2000 miles. I would buy it again. In three years I will look at the new Ranger and Tacoma. Maybe a Ridgeline LOL.... So far I am happy with the Ranger after owning four Tacomas.

Read the issue list and those who posted an issue there. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...heir-solutions-for-the-2019-ford-ranger.1633/

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I can't really try to convince you that the issues with the Ranger are corrected, because...
the good news is that I have experienced none with the truck, flawless so far.

Service Departments should be advancing on their learning curve by now, and should understand the Ranger a little more each day, so minor problems should fade over the near term.
It a great truck which improves as you get acquainted,
The differences from the F-150 are obvious, so please don't buy it, then complain about the size or the interior space.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
NOT EVERYONE here is reporting problems! There are a few niggles that have ben worked out and a few rare instances of things only seen once and never again. But given your perception, I'd stick to what you have or a new F150 because you're gonna be looking for issues and never really comfortable with a Ranger.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the biggest thing is to understand what you're buying. As an example, you mention the "one issue reported on here is engine noise (sounds like sewing machine or buzzing noise)." That's not a true issue, just a quirk of this truck/engine and, as @RedlandRanger mentioned, not nearly as noticeable with the engine cover installed on the Lariat trim level and available for purchase. I have a Lariat and don't here the "sewing machine/buzz" that others have asked about. Understand this truck will have quirks different from your F-150, but any true "issue" can be taken care of under warranty.

For what it's worth, I spent months reading through different posts, asking questions, and conversing with those who purchased before me. It made me feel all the more comfortable with my decision to order the Ranger and I'm grateful to all those who answered my questions.

You're doing it right by being a part of this forum and asking the question "is it worth it?" - Hell yes! I have NO regrets. I've only had the truck for two weeks, but I absolutely love it and look forward to many years with it. Good luck in your search!

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
6500 miles in and still the best vehicle I've ever owned. You will need to drive it to appreciate what a fantastic machine it is. Poke around on the forum, but for the most part you will just read about really happy people driving around new rangers with big smiles around here.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 and have ZERO issues. Most here had issues early on, but TSB's have resolved most issues.
I think the number of real issues is rather small.

and noise? I have an STX, so no engine cover. I honestly have no idea what all the talk about engine noise is. I here zero engine noise with windows closed. With windows open, I do not notice anything out of the ordinary. No louder than the 2014 F150 was.

and ALOT quieter than my Harley. :)

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Many of the "issues" are one-offs to different owners. The thing is there isn't a compact Pickup with a better drivetrain combo.

I have not seen any warranty issues with mine so far at 2000 miles. I would buy it again. In three years I will look at the new Ranger and Tacoma. Maybe a Ridgeline LOL.... So far I am happy with the Ranger after owning four Tacomas.

Read the issue list and those who posted an issue there. https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...heir-solutions-for-the-2019-ford-ranger.1633/
Thank you for the response. FYI, I test drove a Ridgeline about a week ago and would not purchase one. I didn't like anything about it. I don't know how they consider it a truck. It has a bed that is really shallow and other than the bed, there is nothing else truck like on it.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NOT EVERYONE here is reporting problems! There are a few niggles that have ben worked out and a few rare instances of things only seen once and never again. But given your perception, I'd stick to what you have or a new F150 because you're gonna be looking for issues and never really comfortable with a Ranger.
Thanks for the response. I won't be looking for problems and will probably love the truck providing it doesn't have a lot of issues. All vehicles have some issues. I was just wanting to see what the general perception of the truck is on here. I appreciate all the responses.

OP
OP

rdgallo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I can't really try to convince you that the issues with the Ranger are corrected, because...
the good news is that I have experienced none with the truck, flawless so far.

Service Departments should be advancing on their learning curve by now, and should understand the Ranger a little more each day, so minor problems should fade over the near term.
It a great truck which improves as you get acquainted,
The differences from the F-150 are obvious, so please don't buy it, then complain about the size or the interior space.
Thanks for the response. I will not complain about the size...I want less size than my 150.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I was reluctant to purchase another first year run truck as I did with my 2016 Tacoma. But after reading a ton on here and test driving 2 different Lariats I was sold on the truck and bought mine a month ago. To say I'm happy is an understatement, I love this truck!

I hear zero engine noise and it shifts so smooth I sometimes have to look at the gauges to see what gear I'm in. I think most of the earlier issues have been corrected but like anything that's mass produced you can still have something fail. Take a couple different ones out for a test drive and see for yourself. I bet you'll have one in your driveway sooner than you think.
Sponsored