First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I’d like an update on how well the dip has lasted.
Sponsored

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I live a sheltered life. I had to google plasti dip and was amazed. My step son had heard of it and you can get it at Canadian Tire here (which is an automotive/hardware/everything store), so I obviously have to get out more.

Looks like a great idea to protect the truck on an extended hunting trip. It certainly transforms the look of the truck.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
See page 3. The OP peeled it off in February. Appeared to have done the job.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Plasti dip will last for a long time. However, it depends upon how thick you apply the product. The thicker the better as it will add more protection and makes it easier to remove. If you leave it on for an extended time 1+ years it will tend to fade if you do not seal or apply an over coat. I've found that the clear or over coat sometimes makes it a little difficult to peel once you want to remove it. It can be removed but just a slow process once you seal the top coat. Highly recommend visiting DipYourCar - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint – DipYourCar.com . Do the research, watch the video's, they are the best in the world in my opinion. I've been using their products and methods for the last 8 years. It's a learning process, your going to make mistakes. Best thing is Plasti dip is a little forgiving when compared to traditional painting. For me I only use it to protect my clear coat during the hunting season here in NW Florida. I apply it in October and peel it in February. Just applied it again back at the end of October and more than likely peel it in April as I will use the Ranger for the spring Turkey hunt as well. Word to the wise, yes you can use the rattle cans to apply, but it will be tiger stripped. Recommend to apply with a paint gun for a more unified and even coat. For the Ladies and Gentlemen who will take it off road, you will get a few impact points in the dip.
Depends how much of an impact that a branch or limb will make contact. I've had instances where I'm flying down a pig trail road to cut the hunting hounds off and hit limbs or branches at 35 to 40mph. It will open the top coat, it's important to seal those impacts soon after. If not water and dirt can make it under the coat and will start the peeling process. I carry some rattle cans of camo green dip and shoot those impact spots by the next day. Yes, of course by the end of the season I look like a spotted leopard as you will see the freshly applied dip in spots. I really don't mind because I know I'm saving thousands of Dollars in the long run to protect that beautiful clear coat on the Lightning Blue.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
love the camo dip but really think them front wheel arches look weird and unfinished ..
they look like something is missing and need an extension that goes down the front bumper
Who cares? I really don't. I put these on to cut down on the sand blasting of the paint. These big ole -12's @ 295/70/17 will sling some mud and dirt like crazy. Love the look, but need to protect that paint. They are performing swimmingly since May of '19. No complaints, but then again, anyone can nit pic things to death, lol. Now if I were to use the Ranger at a pavement princess perhaps I would purchase the extensions. However, with as much contact I have off road, they wouldn't last a day. So with that, just a waste of money that I can use elsewhere, Just my 2 cents.......

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much for sharing! I love what you have done with your truck. Any thoughts on how long the dip would hold up if left on? I live in upstate NY and we have harsh winters.
I lived upstate NY for a couple of years. I worked up at Suny College in the R&D Semicoductor department when I was a Robotics engineer. Don't miss the salted roads or the freezing cold. Plasti dip will hold up well in these conditions. Apply the product in the summer if you have a chance. It will need the right temp to set. You can apply it in the winter but you will need a temp controlled environment until the dip completes the drying process. If you try to apply it in lower temps it will not bond to your clear coat. Most important be sure to seal the lower edges under the vehicle. Apply it thicker in those area's, this way you will be sure to cut down on the intrusion of salt and water that may get under the dip and start the peeling process. You will have to check these points for impacts of rocks, etc. Reapply product at these impact locations in order to better control the intrusion points of the dip. However, if you apply the thicker coat down low you can avoid this issue. Dip does a fantastic job with protecting the clear coat, but with the salt, well lets just say I could hear my truck rusting from the inside out when I lived up there. 1st thing I did when I moved back home to Florida was sell it. Problems solved, I stopped the rusting process in it's tracks, bawaaaa.

danthefordman

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Highway Construction
I lived upstate NY for a couple of years. I worked up at Suny College in the R&D Semicoductor department when I was a Robotics engineer. Don't miss the salted roads or the freezing cold. Plasti dip will hold up well in these conditions. Apply the product in the summer if you have a chance. It will need the right temp to set. You can apply it in the winter but you will need a temp controlled environment until the dip completes the drying process. If you try to apply it in lower temps it will not bond to your clear coat. Most important be sure to seal the lower edges under the vehicle. Apply it thicker in those area's, this way you will be sure to cut down on the intrusion of salt and water that may get under the dip and start the peeling process. You will have to check these points for impacts of rocks, etc. Reapply product at these impact locations in order to better control the intrusion points of the dip. However, if you apply the thicker coat down low you can avoid this issue. Dip does a fantastic job with protecting the clear coat, but with the salt, well lets just say I could hear my truck rusting from the inside out when I lived up there. 1st thing I did when I moved back home to Florida was sell it. Problems solved, I stopped the rusting process in it's tracks, bawaaaa.
Yea, the salt he sucks, I have 2008 Superduty that the bed rotted right off. Thanks for the detailed reply! Which school did you teach at? I cover the uppermost 5 countys for work but live near Watertown.

I bought the ranger for the smaller size as I enjoy back road exploring, was riding dual sport motorcycles but am getting a little old for that! The last off roader I had was an 85 Bronco I built and I'm getting excited to dig into the ranger!

IMG_0258.JPG

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
Wow, I love the look.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll bring mine down...when's your first weekend off.

Just kidding...looks really nice.
cmon I'll teach you, lol. It's not that bad. Now the masking for over spray that's time consuming as all get out.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, the salt he sucks, I have 2008 Superduty that the bed rotted right off. Thanks for the detailed reply! Which school did you teach at? I cover the uppermost 5 countys for work but live near Watertown.

I bought the ranger for the smaller size as I enjoy back road exploring, was riding dual sport motorcycles but am getting a little old for that! The last off roader I had was an 85 Bronco I built and I'm getting excited to dig into the ranger!

IMG_0258.JPG
We just taught the PHD's and Scientist to utilize our semiconductor equipment in their process to develop the next round of nano tech at a 450mm wafer technology. Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Egineering and SUNY Ply NFS NanoFab at the Albany location. I actually lived in Mechanicsville and drove south each day to Albany. Also spent a lot of time over at the Global Foundries wafer fab over in Malta as well. Yes that Bronco is sweet, they are becoming harder to find these days. So far I really enjoy this new Ranger. Love the off-road capabilities, trust me I've been in some bad spots and tight situations that just continually impress me. Next mod will be a winch for sure.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of you have already seen these images of my Summer adventure on other post. This is the reason to plasti dip. I try not to venture that far off the trail in the summer months. This go round I had my adult kids in their 4x4's saying, c'mon ole man lets go. Mistake, lol. I got lucky just a few minor scratches in the clear coat that buffed out.

20200829_153429.jpg

20200919_221118.jpg

Resized_20200919_144909.jpeg

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
cmon I'll teach you, lol. It's not that bad. Now the masking for over spray that's time consuming as all get out.
I'm to old for that. And I appreciate it...
I'd rather sit on the porch, with a beer, and just appreciate.........
...maybe some chicken wings!

danthefordman

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Occupation
Highway Construction
We just taught the PHD's and Scientist to utilize our semiconductor equipment in their process to develop the next round of nano tech at a 450mm wafer technology. Colleges of Nanoscale Science and Egineering and SUNY Ply NFS NanoFab at the Albany location. I actually lived in Mechanicsville and drove south each day to Albany. Also spent a lot of time over at the Global Foundries wafer fab over in Malta as well. Yes that Bronco is sweet, they are becoming harder to find these days. So far I really enjoy this new Ranger. Love the off-road capabilities, trust me I've been in some bad spots and tight situations that just continually impress me. Next mod will be a winch for sure.
I was asking about the school because an old buddy of mine taught electrical science at SUNY Canton and I wondered if you would know him. Too bad we are not closer, I think you and I would get along well!

Iancoll

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wildtrack , 2016 mustang got , Mercedes e53amg
Occupation
Company director
Who cares? I really don't. I put these on to cut down on the sand blasting of the paint. These big ole -12's @ 295/70/17 will sling some mud and dirt like crazy. Love the look, but need to protect that paint. They are performing swimmingly since May of '19. No complaints, but then again, anyone can nit pic things to death, lol. Now if I were to use the Ranger at a pavement princess perhaps I would purchase the extensions. However, with as much contact I have off road, they wouldn't last a day. So with that, just a waste of money that I can use elsewhere, Just my 2 cents.......
Fair shout.. not criticising .. just see a lot of these wheearches and they always look unfinished without the bumper extension
Sponsored