Full plasti-dip black out finally complete!!!

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Blackout thing is pretty funny and a waste of time.
Same could be said for posting negative comments on a forum that no one forced you to read or look at.

If you don’t consider blacking out to be a worthy use of time why click on a topic that clearly specified exactly what it was and waste your obviously precious time reading, looking at pics, and commenting?
Sponsored

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Not my style but i respect the work you put in to do that. I have plasti dipped many wheels and a few parts on previous cars and love the stuff. More durable than most people think. By the way why are you so weird about people knowing what town your in? I’m up in Redding and would love to meet other Ranger enthusiasts! But most “NorCal” folks are in the Bay Area on forums..
All good man, everyone likes there own thing but thanks for acknowledging the work to do it.

Have no problem with people knowing when I put the info out there but when someone is looking at pictures and trying to place where it is that just seems different to me. If your ever in the Bay Area would be happy to meet up though.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
How much
As some of you have probably seen in the DIY forum as well as some of my replies in this section, I am big fan of plasti dip and have been working my way around my ranger blacking out all the trim, bumpers, valence, gills, and NOW my 18” rims! Pretty happy to finally have it all completed and even more thrilled with how it all looks.

Last “visual” change will be when I get my Borla dual black exhaust installed this weekend.

619DD61E-4D2C-4EB1-BF94-5D0955B6048B.jpeg

8CA144D6-B651-4AB0-8126-701C005A88CF.jpeg
How much does this "plasti dip" stuff weigh, per wheel? I would be concerned about the effects on handling with the additional unsprung weight.

Of course you know how heavier tires similarly change handling, does this stuff weigh more or is it in addition to the heavier tire difference?

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
How much

How much does this "plasti dip" stuff weigh, per wheel? I would be concerned about the effects on handling with the additional unsprung weight.

Of course you know how heavier tires similarly change handling, does this stuff weigh more or is it in addition to the heavier tire difference?
I don’t think it would really weigh any more than a couple coats of paint.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
How much

Hi Michael,

I would say this would have no effect on the handling...sort of picking fly $hit out of the pepper wrt handling, JMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Agreed, I was actually going to buy some matte black 17’s and go that route but decided to spend that money on the exhaust so wanted something to make me hate the rims less and I actually love them now! The rears are already blacked out (picture is before rims were dipped) and agree markers need to go the same path.

D8947A45-12EE-44BB-9D56-ADC577738B69.jpeg
DAMN that's a nice lookin truck! Looks like a Harley Davidson Edition Ranger LOL. I love orange one of my favorite colors...

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
How much

As others have replied the weight of 4/5 coats of plasti dip is next to nothing. Figure the at most addition of the weight of a can of spray paint to each rim. The addition of a bed cover and/or bed liner would far exceed the added weight of plast dip on the 4 rims.

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
DAMN that's a nice lookin truck! Looks like a Harley Davidson Edition Ranger LOL. I love orange one of my favorite colors...
Thanks @Indy650! I was more going for Univ. of TN orange but the orange plasti dip options are limited so it’s def a bit darker, more along lines of Harley orange for sure.

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
As others have replied the weight of 4/5 coats of plasti dip is next to nothing. Figure the at most addition of the weight of a can of spray paint to each rim. The addition of a bed cover and/or bed liner would far exceed the added weight of plast dip on the 4 rims.
My concern was with "unsprung" weight, which effects handling unlike sprung weight.

And, I am picturing the thick brightly-colored goo we used to dip tool-handles in, which was pretty viscous and dried about 3/32" thick. This is something else, obviously.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
My concern was with "unsprung" weight, which effects handling unlike sprung weight.

And, I am picturing the thick brightly-colored goo we used to dip tool-handles in, which was pretty viscous and dried about 3/32" thick. This is something else, obviously.
Yep, it’s definitely thinner than that, not much different than paint in thickness either.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New to dipping anything other than tools.
I hate that gray lower facia. So to see if I do it right, I took the skid plate off, ( only 4 bolts which 2 are keyed). Cleaned it, (not the back), and gave it about 4 or so coats. Used almost whole can.
Letting it sit over night then want to see what type of abuse it can handle from normal road conditions. Figured if it can fair we’ll under there, it could handle more than we think. If not, no biggy.

Weird...when I removed it, dang thing was pretty clean. I figured it would be a mess.
Cleaned it real good. We shall see. If it holds up good for a bit, I’ll take a stab at the lower fascia.

Thanks for the insight...
Will report back....

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Reading this just gave me an idea - I don't know if anyone has tried this - There is also a clear plasti-dip spray. Has anyone used this instead of paint protection film for some of the lower panels?

Wondering if it might be an option rather than the film. It might be more forgiving to apply than the film as a DIY Project.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Reading this just gave me an idea - I don't know if anyone has tried this - There is also a clear plasti-dip spray. Has anyone used this instead of paint protection film for some of the lower panels?

Wondering if it might be an option rather than the film. It might be more forgiving to apply than the film as a DIY Project.
Funny, I just noticed yesterday that there is some protection film already on certain spots. I thought I saw a scratch or a crack and it turns out to be clear film and a small piece was a tad peeled. Possibly from road crud. I trimmed it and laid it back down. Was just behind the rear door on the low fender. Didn't have time but I need to look really close at the whole truck lower. Hard to see because it's black.

Hbombed

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xl supercrew
Nope they are stock lights. I used VHT lens tint spray. 3 light coats and that’s how they came out. Pretty easy and finish is very smooth.
Did you remove the lights completely to spray them? If so how? I’m trying to do the same but want to pull them off and lay flat to spray.

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you remove the lights completely to spray them? If so how? I’m trying to do the same but want to pull them off and lay flat to spray.
I left them on, mainly because the electrical connection would just not release (sure I was doing it wrong) but I did undo the screws that hold it in place so I could tape off properly. They came out fine.
Sponsored