First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes, it's blue underneath. Same truck in my profile pic. Yes I removed the plasti dip from my old tacoma after each hunting season with no issues and no scratching of the clear coat. The dip will get impact marks and slight peels under hard brush contact. Real easy to touch up. Appling touch up will reactive the dip already applied and seals up. You just reshoot the panel that has the blemish and Presto, back in business. Entire truck cost me $230 in dip and a $20 harbor freight electric spray gun. Certainly cheaper than $1500 to clear wrap the truck in Expel. Me likes saving money for other mods. Truly plasti dip is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you didn't purchase a mall crawler and use it off road then this stuff is a life saver.
Very interesting... thanks for the thread and the details. Dare to be different :like:
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it's blue underneath. Same truck in my profile pic. Yes I removed the plasti dip from my old tacoma after each hunting season with no issues and no scratching of the clear coat. The dip will get impact marks and slight peels under hard brush contact. Real easy to touch up. Appling touch up will reactive the dip already applied and seals up. You just reshoot the panel that has the blemish and Presto, back in business. Entire truck cost me $230 in dip and a $20 harbor freight electric spray gun. Certainly cheaper than $1500 to clear wrap the truck in Expel. Me likes saving money for other mods. Truly plasti dip is not everyone's cup of tea, but if you didn't purchase a mall crawler and use it off road then this stuff is a life saver.
I wonder what a clear plasti dip would look like? Wonder if it would be similar to paint film? I'm tempted to get a can or two and test down low on the doors or something.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
That is so cool:like:

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I wonder what a clear plasti dip would look like? Wonder if it would be similar to paint film? I'm tempted to get a can or two and test down low on the doors or something.
You know, I'm not sure they make a clear plasti dip? I know there is a clear protectant that you can apply over the dip but it dry's hard and makes it a nightmare to easily peel off the dip when you want to remove it. I've tried it on my mustangs and it just comes off in bits and pieces vs a full sheet pull. Check it out @
https://www.dipyourcar.com/

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Clear plasti dip won't look like paint protection film. Clear plasti dip will be a matte finish, which on some colors would look really cool. I have quite a bit of experience with the stuff, so feel free to ask questions.

To the OP @Stangman570 you only used 4 gallons on the whole truck? I'd be very leery of that peeling off nicely. I had an old 2001 Tundra that I dipped, which is pretty similarly size to our Rangers, and I used something like 6-7 gallons on that thing. It peeled great too.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I can fully report that the plasti dip is holding up well in the woods. It's doing exactly what I wanted with keeping the clear coat free of scratches from brush and limb mark's while out in the woods.

I've had it out every weekend while hunting and down some really tight pig trail roads that the Ranger can nearly fit. Constant rubbing on the panels the entire way. The camo green is outstanding for the North Florida woods and blends in perfectly.

Trust me, I've had to start marking the position on my Garmin Dog Tracker to make my way back. It blends in that well that you will walk past it if not paying attention. I've had alot of local hunters pull down the trails and not see it until they are right on me. Others believe that it's the Game Wardens vehicle when they see it.

20191130_112658.jpg

20191130_112618.jpg

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I love it and you were definitively more ballsy than I. I started a small experiment on mine with the dip. I absolutely HATE that gray/silver lower fascia valance and skid plate. My truck is Shadow Black and I can deal with the magnetic gray trims but ick..

So the end of summer, I removed the skid plate and gave it at least 4 coats of black dip. I figured it it can hold out there, it can work elsewhere. Its held up very well with no signs of rips, dents, etc.

So when spring arrives, I will spray the lower fascia/valance the same.

Thanks for sharing!

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
You got some overspray on your license plate.....

Looks good !!!!

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said that you're in the Panhandle? Are you in Mossy Head/Defuniak Springs? I used to live in Fort Walton Beach and then Panama City Beach. That whole area is my old stomping grounds. Loved it up there. I'm in SoFla now and it sucks.
Yea man, you nailed it. I grew up here but joined the Navy when I was 18 and saw the world. Got out in 94 and worked in the semiconductor industry for about 20 yrs as a Robotics Field Service Engineer (DNS Electronics). We started out in Orlando with Lucent Technologies, then Dallas Tx for Texas Instruments, Albuquerque Nm for Intel Inc, and then to Albany Ny for SUNY Polytechnic Institute. Moved back home from upstate NY a few years back. Guess you could say I'm an educated Red Neck, but I never dare tell anyone that I was from Mossy Head. When they asked I always replied Destin Fl, bawaaa. I've lived in a lot of places however, I have to say there's nothing like home for sure. I know what you mean, SoFla is little NY, lol. I hunt on the Eglin AFB reserve and the very reason I had to dip the truck. If your from here, you know just how thick those woods can be.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You got some overspray on your license plate.....

Looks good !!!!
LOL, now that's funny. Yup I did it so I can go through the local tolls to the beach, bawaaa. You know Mr. State Trooper would just love that.

OP
OP
Stangman570

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love it and you were definitively more ballsy than I. I started a small experiment on mine with the dip. I absolutely HATE that gray/silver lower fascia valance and skid plate. My truck is Shadow Black and I can deal with the magnetic gray trims but ick..

So the end of summer, I removed the skid plate and gave it at least 4 coats of black dip. I figured it it can hold out there, it can work elsewhere. Its held up very well with no signs of rips, dents, etc.

So when spring arrives, I will spray the lower fascia/valance the same.

Thanks for sharing!
Yea, Dip gets a bad rep. Usually from the one's who have never used it. It's always held up for me. I was going to shoot the fender flares and bumpers black (I have the dip) but like you it's been too flippin cold to shoot it and have it adhere correctly. Would take forever to dry. To make matters worse here in the panhandle of fl it's chilly with 100% humidity.
Sponsored