Full plasti-dip black out finally complete!!!

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
As some of you have probably seen in the DIY forum as well as some of my replies in this section, I am big fan of plasti dip and have been working my way around my ranger blacking out all the trim, bumpers, valence, gills, and NOW my 18” rims! Pretty happy to finally have it all completed and even more thrilled with how it all looks.

Last “visual” change will be when I get my Borla dual black exhaust installed this weekend.

619DD61E-4D2C-4EB1-BF94-5D0955B6048B.jpeg

8CA144D6-B651-4AB0-8126-701C005A88CF.jpeg
Sponsored

TheMarkP

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
So I’m assuming you never want to go off-roading in this?

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m assuming you never want to go off-roading in this?
Generally no this won’t be an off-roading vehicle and if I do take it, it wouldn’t be on this rim/tire combo. But if your implying this because the rims are dipped I would say in my experience plasti dip when fully cured can handle quite a bit of punishment and there are plenty of people who go off-roading with rims that are.

TheMarkP

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat
Generally no this won’t be an off-roading vehicle and if I do take it, it wouldn’t be on this rim/tire combo. But if your implying this because the rims are dipped I would say in my experience plasti dip when fully cured can handle quite a bit of punishment and there are plenty of people who go off-roading with rims that are.
Wheels are whatever, if rocks hit them weather it’s powder paint or plasti it’s coming off...I’m saying more for brush and trees and whatnot on the bumpers. 100% will come off with any kind of abuse but if you’re not doing over-landing stuff than my point is moot anyways.

I’m personally not a huge fan of plastidip on the actual car but for wheels I’m down for that same reason as most if the abuse wheels get are from rocks that would take ANYTHING off.

If I was gonna spray my oem bumpers I’d use rhinoline or linex. And then use steel-it to touch up.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That’s looking good! I never liked any of the 18” wheel options but they look great on black! All you need is some smoked marker lights, they look extra bright against all the black.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Did you use the PlastiDip UV that has the UV protection so it doesn't turn brownish?

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s looking good! I never liked any of the 18” wheel options but they look great on black! All you need is some smoked marker lights, they look extra bright against all the black.
Agreed, I was actually going to buy some matte black 17’s and go that route but decided to spend that money on the exhaust so wanted something to make me hate the rims less and I actually love them now! The rears are already blacked out (picture is before rims were dipped) and agree markers need to go the same path.

D8947A45-12EE-44BB-9D56-ADC577738B69.jpeg

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Did you use the PlastiDip UV that has the UV protection so it doesn't turn brownish?
I use the dipyourcar.com post dip spray which helps with both the UV protection as well as it not feeling so rubbery over time.

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels are whatever, if rocks hit them weather it’s powder paint or plasti it’s coming off...I’m saying more for brush and trees and whatnot on the bumpers. 100% will come off with any kind of abuse but if you’re not doing over-landing stuff than my point is moot anyways.

I’m personally not a huge fan of plastidip on the actual car but for wheels I’m down for that same reason as most if the abuse wheels get are from rocks that would take ANYTHING off.

If I was gonna spray my oem bumpers I’d use rhinoline or linex. And then use steel-it to touch up.
Yea not at all worried about that. I can always peel the plasti dip off the piece of trim that got scratched and re-apply. At under ten bucks a can and a few hours work I am just fine with that.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
It's a good thing you live in a very dry area. Plasti-dip looks fantastic for about a week up here in the PNW. The texture and inability to wash it adequately without using more friction causes dip to peel fairly fast, or be dull and lifeless. Which I guess is the point when your goal is to make the truck as interesting visually as a tool handle.

D36667E2DF7A1298CB9DBA21DBD0AFCF.app1_1555282449575_2_PZ320.jpg

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a good thing you live in a very dry area. Plasti-dip looks fantastic for about a week up here in the PNW. The texture and inability to wash it adequately without using more friction causes dip to peel fairly fast, or be dull and lifeless. Which I guess is the point when your goal is to make the truck as interesting visually as a tool handle.

D36667E2DF7A1298CB9DBA21DBD0AFCF.app1_1555282449575_2_PZ320.jpg
I live in Northern Cali and its far from “very dry”. If your having issues with being able to adequately wash it then your applying incorrectly. I have power washed several times and seen no indication of deterioration or peeling. Further you can buy a very cheap post wash spray that you apply in about 30 second that further adds in maintaining the look and feel of the dip for a very long time.

swampchomp07

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Yea I got no response... we suck right now... and only gonna get worse at Bama next week.
I'm sure Tennessee will be back soon enough. We went through a long drought before Mullen turned things around and we're still not quite there. Keep your head up!

Good looking truck, I like what you've done with the black-out touches. I chose shadow black as well and I intend to throw in some orange accents...just gotta make sure it's the appropriate shade :wink:.

OP
OP
VolRanger24

VolRanger24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure Tennessee will be back soon enough. We went through a long drought before Mullen turned things around and we're still not quite there. Keep your head up!

Good looking truck, I like what you've done with the black-out touches. I chose shadow black as well and I intend to throw in some orange accents...just gotta make sure it's the appropriate shade :wink:.
Haha yea I think Pruitt is the right guy, just takes time to un-F the Dooley-Butch years...

Thanks for compliments on truck, I hear ya on the shade of Orange. I will be honest I am not 100% thrilled with the shade I have on it but with the aerosol plasti dip there are only so many options (I went with the go mango). You may be better off with one of their blue options to get to FL colors... I tried just normal spray paint over black plasti dip which give way more color options and it was a disaster so would not recommend haha
Sponsored