First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
It’s cold out but so far I’ve been monitoring the temperatures and the only time my intake temperature is much higher than ambient is when I’m barely moving. Nobody cares about heat when moving slowly.
C0C97F98-D238-430C-9498-615BB91CB9ED.jpeg
Sponsored

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok this is just bugging me;

Our trucks don't have cold air intakes available on the market, or rather not in the classical sense. The only exception being a snorkel, which is more of a cold air intake than anything else.

One member on here if I recall made one, custom making an intake from a fender vent that routed into the engine.

I have personally decided on an Injen intake, but I'll wait till they have a blow out sale or something cause $400+ for their product is retarded. Its just a hot air intake, but they want to charge more than most fully boxed intakes.
I don't know why the big pursuit of CAI kits for R5G...the IAT is almost always at ambient on my OBD gauge...even summer heat soaked in parking lot, the intercooler is so efficient that IAT returns to ambient after a few miles of driving....

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it....draws in all that nice hot air from the engine compartment......:whew:

Unless you are purpose built built race spec vehicle this a common and over exaggerated concern.

I once invented (and since sold the design) a cooling device for an unrelated industry. At its core, it took ambient hot air and cooled another object that was much much hotter. What I designed used hot air to cool a hot object.

Sounds silly right?

Well a hot air intake is still providing much better volume of air intake than a boxed intake. The hot air, which while the vehicle is in motion becomes somewhat irrelevant, in large quantities is still better performance wise than less hot air at smaller quantities.

More to the point a "cold air" intake is a misnomer. A cold air intake is similar to the device I invented, which doesn't involve "cold air" at all, it just provides cooler ambient air from a location other than the engine compartment, might I add, nothing sold as a "cold air intake" for our truck actually does. A snorkel is the closest thing.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know why the big pursuit of CAI kits for R5G...the IAT is almost always at ambient on my OBD gauge...even summer heat soaked in parking lot, the intercooler is so efficient that IAT returns to ambient after a few miles of driving....
Yup.

I want to go the Injen route because quite frankly it is going to be the least resistant method for larger air volume. More so than a boxed unit and more so than a snorkel.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yup.

I want to go the Injen route because quite frankly it is going to be the least resistant method for larger air volume. More so than a boxed unit and more so than a snorkel.
Charge pipes? I've had Injin CP on my turbo Cobalt...AFE on the Ranger...

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I developed a turbo inlet pipe for our trucks. It improves power and throttle response along with a lot of other benefits for modified trucks. The photo shows the stock one compared to my pipe
F30DF63B-433B-490C-82E2-BB66635C9B4E.jpeg
E280A7E4-F71B-4C03-9EE4-C9625386F3A7.jpeg
Is this something you sell?

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
How about a link? or any of the usual info, price, availability so forth.

Looks good!
It’s a custom piece turned into a small production run. If there’s enough interest I’ll keep making them but the price will go up if I do. Right now they are $449.00 shipped in most of the USA. The information is on the Facebook Ranger Performance group but anyone can message me for information. I have been developing this and testing it for a while now. I have thousands of miles and a few dyno sessions to make sure I’m happy with it.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
It’s a custom piece turned into a small production run. If there’s enough interest I’ll keep making them but the price will go up if I do. Right now they are $449.00 shipped in most of the USA. The information is on the Facebook Ranger Performance group but anyone can message me for information. I have been developing this and testing it for a while now. I have thousands of miles and a few dyno sessions to make sure I’m happy with it.
I like it. But not $450 like it.

You should post those dyno sheets from the other thread here for people to find.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I was impressed with the gains, the difference in spooling and the throttle response was a big improvement as well.

EE1775D6-9F31-4B8A-9429-7C59EB85C6B1.jpeg

C9D7F5BD-107F-41FC-9C7E-218311FDB972.jpeg

91AAAFD1-D545-49DB-BB75-6EB17FF4E00E.jpeg

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I like it. But not $450 like it.

You should post those dyno sheets from the other thread here for people to find.
It’s super time consuming to make, everything is hand machined and welded. The price will increase once I sell this batch. I posted the graphs btw, thanks for reminding me.
Sponsored