Roush cold air installed

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Pontiac G8
I am looking into getting a CAI on my ranger, specifically the ROUSH. But I was curious about some things before I take the plunge.
1. What is the real difference between the factory and AM filter? The location doesn't change so what benefits does the conical filter and new flow tube have?
2. Is the price to benefit ratio worth it?
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I am looking into getting a CAI on my ranger, specifically the ROUSH. But I was curious about some things before I take the plunge.
1. What is the real difference between the factory and AM filter? The location doesn't change so what benefits does the conical filter and new flow tube have?
2. Is the price to benefit ratio worth it?
To my understanding(not much experience with this particular kit but want as well) the biggest difference is the filter material. Similar to the cotton gauze of K&N it will allow more air flow compared to the stock paper filter. Unlike K&N you dont need a special cleaning agent to clean the filter and you dont use any oil. For performance you will get a small gain but you also dont have to replace the filter every other oil change. Now there are those on here that dont believe in the kit and feel that it is a waist but to each thier own. What I really like about the kit is you keep the lower part of the factory intake box and that will allow you to run the Safari Snorkel if you want to go offroad and want a cold air intake. That is my input. Perhaps someone else will have some better input on this.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
With the kit you are getting a K&N filter and the filter sits in the air box at a slant so it allows for a larger filter to fit in the air box. You can decide if adding a K&N filter is a benefit to you. Also the kit does come with a new flow tube and the flow tube is a larger diameter and smoother inside than the original so I would think this is a benefit as well but have no dyno numbers to prove it. Whether something is "worth" it is totally up to you to decide as it is your money and you decide how it is best spent. Like with any other purchase do your research and make decisions based on what you want.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
With the kit you are getting a K&N filter and the filter sits in the air box at a slant so it allows for a larger filter to fit in the air box. You can decide if adding a K&N filter is a benefit to you. Also the kit does come with a new flow tube and the flow tube is a larger diameter and smoother inside than the original so I would think this is a benefit as well but have no dyno numbers to prove it. Whether something is "worth" it is totally up to you to decide as it is your money and you decide how it is best spent. Like with any other purchase do your research and make decisions based on what you want.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Roush does not use the K&N air filters. They even state that when washing it you do not have to read oil it. K&N you do have to re-oil. Do you have a box that the filter was in?

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Roush does not use the K&N air filters. They even state that when washing it you do not have to read oil it. K&N you do have to re-oil. Do you have a box that the filter was in?

1596756528299.png

Seems Frenchy is correct here its not an actual K&N filter.
I stand corrected...
Thanks Frenchy.!

I don't have a box for the filter as I remember it was in a plastic bag inside the box with the rest of the kit...

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Gims04

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2008 Pontiac G8
1596756528299.png

Seems Frenchy is correct here its not an actual K&N filter.
I stand corrected...
Thanks Frenchy.!

I don't have a box for the filter as I remember it was in a plastic bag inside the box with the rest of the kit...
I was going to ask about that but felt stupid. Thank you Frenchy and RangerMarc. Going to go ahead and buy the kit.

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
You won't necessarily notice the 'growl' (more of a whoosh and whistle, so to speak) unless you change out the charge pipes too. I added the Roush CIA and the AFE hot and cold pipes. I do hear all the turbo/air noises on acceleration now. Even under light load.

Saracino23

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electrician
I installed the Roush CAI. It fits like factory,
F80D3D13-47BF-4214-ACA1-DCF72624A18E.jpeg
but I absolutely cannot tell a difference between stock and Roush. Both in performance and in sound. I was really expecting to be able to hear a difference but I can’t.I’ve purchased other brands on other models of cars and could really hear a difference at least. I’m sure it is because it is still enclosed in a sealed air box, thus not allowing for much noises to be heard.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I put on the Roush CAI...I noticed a big difference.
I'm old, blind, not so mechanically inclined...and it worked perfectly.

I had to borrow the 7 mm socket from my neighbor. I really don't have many tools.

Last edited:

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I did get the MagnaFlo cat back installed previously...air in...exhaust out.

Guys on this forum explained this to me. Very beneficial information. It takes both halves to make a whole change. Until the CAI was installed (took 8 months to get one), the effort was not realized.

Last edited:

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military

Guys on this forum explained this to me. Very beneficial information. It takes both halves to make a whole change. Until the CAI was installed (took 8 months to get one), the effort was not realized.
Thanks for the info. My previous experience with my Focus ST was the same as in I did a tune, CAI and exhaust and the combination completely changed the car in a very positive way.
I have already installed the AWE cat back on my Ranger and am VERY impressed with the sound and difference in throttle response. I am waiting to hear from more of you before I choose between the several choices out there.
Brian

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. The formula really hasn't changed since the first engine. Just the technology.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. The formula really hasn't changed since the first engine. Just the technology.
I had never heard that explanation until recently and while it made me laugh it is very accurate.

Repeat after me - suck, squeeze, bang, blow

:LOL:

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
If you look around the net, you'll find the figure for upgrading the exhaust, and the intake. Roush doesn't give you any data on their cool air intake, as it were. This said, the guys at TFL did test it. As I recall, it was 5 HP to the rear wheels. Not significant, but there nonetheless.

The exhaust system doesn't do much by itself. Borla says 12 HP to the rear wheel, but you should be able to tell the difference, unless you have a dead butt!

With Ford's Performance tune (or anyone else's I suspect), the gain by adding both should be evident on the dyno. Again, I refer to TFL.
Sponsored