First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Accountant
I've never had personal dealings with either of them though I have seen many on here report positive experiences with Carvana.
Same here. Just from what I've read on here it seems that Carvana is more used/popular.

I did notice that Vroom asks a lot more questions concerning trim level and accessories/options.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Updated mine today and the offer went down by $1000.

I guess they've got enough Rangers now.

Up until this evaluation the Carvana offer had always been very close to the high KBB trade-in value.

But today, the KBB value went up by $2k and Carvana down by $1k. Now Carvana is very close to the Vroom offer.

Honestly, if the Carvana offer today had been near the KBB value today, I'd be arranging for them to pick it up (after I remove all my stuff first of course, tires/wheels. speakers, bumper, sliders, etc.)

Edit: Just checked and the Carmax offer increased as well, though they are still well below Carvana and Vroom.

Cowboys22

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Business Analyst

Bugger1114

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Accountant
Updated mine today and the offer went down by $1000.

I guess they've got enough Rangers now.

Up until this evaluation the Carvana offer had always been very close to the high KBB trade-in value.

But today, the KBB value went up by $2k and Carvana down by $1k. Now Carvana is very close to the Vroom offer.

Honestly, if the Carvana offer today had been near the KBB value today, I'd be arranging for them to pick it up (after I remove all my stuff first of course, tires/wheels. speakers, bumper, sliders, etc.)

Edit: Just checked and the Carmax offer increased as well, though they are still well below Carvana and Vroom.
Almost exact same for me. Carvana offer went down 2K from end of last week to this week. Carvana and Vroom almost exactly the same now. Carmax is about 2K less than both Carvana and Vroom.

Last edited:

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter
Seems like there's a bug for the 2021s. They are offering a whopping 30,000 for my 2 month old supercrew XLT sport 4x4 301a. They had to manually do the offer cause 2021 isn't in the system yet. Kbb trade in for a 2020 (again, can't do 2021) is 34,700 to 37,600. Private party is obviously higher. I finally managed to text with someone and they won't go above 30. I like the truck, but the sensible part of me thinks it would be nice to walk away with a check and have no truck payment. Guess it's time to start modding...

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
... I like the truck, but the sensible part of me thinks it would be nice to walk away with a check and have no truck payment. Guess it's time to start modding...
It's somewhat sensible if you don't really need the truck.

Right now the law of supply and demand is kicking in so the prices of vehicles are all going up.

So if you sold your truck for a premium you'd also be paying a premium for whatever you get to replace it.

Of course YMMV.

Some of the folks on here have been able to upgrade to a newer or better equipped Ranger for a very good deal.

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

Right now the law of supply and demand is kicking in so the prices of vehicles are all going up.

So if you sold your truck for a premium you'd also be paying a premium for whatever you get to replace it.

Of course YMMV.

Some of the folks on here have been able to upgrade to a newer or better equipped Ranger for a very good deal.
And therein is my dilemma. I got a really good buy price from both Carvana and Vroom, but there are incredibly slim pickings on any new vehicles in my area. If you are lucky to find what you are looking for, it's at a huge premium and there are no deals. I managed to locate a Lariat Tremor yesterday near me, but before I could lock it in, it was sold to another buyer who paid MSRP plus, plus.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm perfectly happy driving my Jeep as a daily (the Jeep value has gone way up too).

If Carvana/Vroom/Whoever hits the right number I'll let it go since I don't need another vehicle right away.

Of course I said I'd sell it to Carvana more than $2k ago so I'm apparently not quite as willing to sell it as I tell myself :D

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Stopped by our local Kia dealership today to pick up some trim clips to a replace a couple I had stupidly broke on our Sorento. While I was there, I was checking out another vehicle just in case they would make me an unexpectedly good deal (spoiler: they didn't). They were really interested in taking in the Sorento* on trade, but I told them they were up against the Carvana offer I had gotten a few days ago. The sales manager took one look at the offer and went on a little rant about them having billions of dollars to throw around so they don't have to worry about turning profits on their used cars, and independent dealerships like his don't stand a chance at that game. He seemed really annoyed at the way Carvana has cut into his market.

*Actually, I drove the Ranger there and they really wanted to take in that on trade, but there isn't a chance of that happening.

DAT84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Sport | '09 MS3 - CorkSport Tuned
Occupation
Structural Detailer / Drafter

Of course YMMV.

I should have mentioned that I have a second "fun" car that I could drive around in until I make up my mind and things stabilize. I've always wanted a truck for the utility, which is definitely nice, coming from a Focus. However, it would also be nice to get some money in my bank account while the market is hot. Since Carvana doesn't seem to want to play ball (for myself at least), I guess the next sensible thing to do is dump money into a leveling kit, tires, tune, and exhaust haha

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
We were doing some financial re-balancing last night. Looking to move the Range Loan to a Credit Union, so I did the KBB.org thing to get my estimated value.

HOLY SHEEAT! It's over a year old and has 18k on the odo. Worth more than I paid to drive it off the lot - even on the low end? What is happening here? Have we stumbled into this Taco/Jeep Gold Mine that actually appreciates a vehicle? All of my math skills (and they are limited) are telling me that this is wrong. That we may have a Sub-Prime Auto Loan Bubble keeping this kind of stuff afloat.

WTELF.png

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
We were doing some financial re-balancing last night. Looking to move the Range Loan to a Credit Union, so I did the KBB.org thing to get my estimated value.

HOLY SHEEAT! It's over a year old and has 18k on the odo. Worth more than I paid to drive it off the lot - even on the low end? What is happening here? Have we stumbled into this Taco/Jeep Gold Mine that actually appreciates a vehicle? All of my math skills (and they are limited) are telling me that this is wrong. That we may have a Sub-Prime Auto Loan Bubble keeping this kind of stuff afloat.

WTELF.png
Mine is over 2 years old with 20k on it, and I got similar results. Private party values are more than I paid for it. the "Private Party Value" (looks to be about the mid section) is about 3k more than I paid.

Its absolutely incredible, but I'm sure it is due to the parts shortages and lack of supply going on right now. I have no doubt at some point things will return to sanity. I have no intentions of taking advantage of this since I would be eating up any money I made when purchasing another truck. Since I ordered my truck and got EXACTLY what I wanted that would probably be the only way I would do it again, and I'd be afraid things would go back to normal before I got my new truck.

If the NEW 6G were out, and they did indeed have a PHEV option then all bets would be off......

Opusnbill7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Yep. That's how I got into a Ranger. Traded my diesel colorado in for more than I paid for it two years ago with 20K miles on it. Liked it a lot, but was worried about the diesel long term (since deletes are much harder to get). Ranger was a nice truck and haven't had one in 20 years. They're just a little better than the 90s/00s version. :) And if they're going to pay me to upgrade to a new truck.... LOL
Sponsored