Carrying a bicycle

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
How is the best way to Carry a bicycle around I have a bed cover Looking into the trailer hitch one.

Thanks Brian
I got the Yakima that fits the T slot mount on the Retrax Pro cover. There was a lot to order and a lot of cost. One of the Yakima bike mounts was defective and even though it had been a year, Yakima just sent me a replacement, no sweat. Very honorable! It’s nice to have the bikes up and out of the way. The rack itself I surprisingly heavy and you do have to lift the bike up there.
Sponsored

Rockweiler

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab 4x4
Looks like that tonneau cover leaves enough space for a track system on the bed rails. I have integrated tracks on my cover and this is what that looks like:

DD239077-0210-4342-9F60-2B829EBDB9BA.jpeg

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
It is good to see how you all are transporting your bicycles. I plan to get one soon as well, got a 2021 one on pre-order. Hopefully it will come in within a few more weeks. A Trek Verve 'comfort hybrid' I guess it is called. Nothing super fancy, want something to ride on the side streets and some light trails. More for general fitness and enjoying the outdoors. Also looks to be a similar color scheme as my Sport Saber. :thumbsup:

It has been a few decades since I owned a bicycle and a truck together. Back then it was a Schwinn 10 speed from my teenage years and a late 80's Toyota pickup that would be considered compact if not sub-compact size today. The truck sides were a lot lower than the ones on our current Rangers and I am wondering how you are getting your bikes into the truck bed without scraping up the truck or bike. At about 5'8" I could easily touch the truck bed bottom from reaching over the side of the Toyota. This Ranger it is a bit of a stretch to do that with the tall bed walls.

How are you getting the bike in and out of the truck bed? Basically, are you outside the truck raising the bike up over the side of the bed? Climbing into the bed first and then lifting bike up? Dropping the tailgate and lifting up from there? May seem silly to ask but I care more about taking care of this truck and bike today than I did back when I was a kid. I don't have a bike at the moment to try this out so am asking your opinions on how you load / unload your gear.

RangerJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab
Occupation
Chief Maintenance Engineer
I'm only 5'6" and 60 years young. I lift it up from the back with the kick stand down. It stands there until I hop in the bed.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Didn’t have my bike rack with me since I removed it for the move, but my Chameleon did fit angled with a single strap holding her in place.

C5F44EF7-8DE5-4F97-8BC1-8C32BF9E9A2C.jpeg

64433BD1-244D-4FAD-9D1B-3520B336B877.jpeg

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So I just figured out that I could hang MTBs with the seat on the rear cross tube, run a bungee across and call it!
Plenty more options in adding to that rack.

IMG_20200902_173345008_HDR.jpg

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I was using a moving blanket over the tail gate until I bought one of these.

77E75789-0724-4001-8DA5-7B542BEBE1EB.jpeg

BButah

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4 (Saber)
I have the KUAT NV 2.0 as well as the Add-On Kit to haul 4 bikes if/when needed.

This rack is bulletproof, extremely user-friendly and the overall fit & finish are excellent!

A very solid bike-carrying solution that I highly recommend!

IMG_7344.jpeg

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
4 bike Allen locking hitch mount. $139. Works as well as the Thule I had stolen. Lesson learned. Use a locking hitch pin or get a locking rack.
2D30CC6C-A5F9-4541-9367-46CB13C9F97C.jpeg
That's what I use...Rock solid locking mechanism :like:
IMG_6401.JPG

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
I have the KUAT NV 2.0 as well as the Add-On Kit to haul 4 bikes if/when needed.

This rack is bulletproof, extremely user-friendly and the overall fit & finish are excellent!

A very solid bike-carrying solution that I highly recommend!
I have the same rack with the optional fat bike upgrade (longer straps and wider trays). I agree 100% with BButah's assessment - Highly recommended.

You do have to be careful when ordering this KUAT rack as there is a KUAT 2 NV and KUAT NV 2.0 which are different racks. Whoever works there that thought this is a good idea hopefully no longer works there.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney

kickinchicken

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Pro bro
I run a tailgate pad for the bikes when hitting nearby trails - I have a hard folding tonneau and I don’t have to fold it all the way up to fit my 29er mtb in my 5’ bed, I just put the bike in at a slight angle and it fits with the cover folded to the most open flat position, if that makes sense. Basically I don’t have to block my rear window.

For longer trips, when we have the bed full of family’s luggage and whatnot, I use a hitch rack that I already had prior to getting the Ranger - a Kuat Transfer. Great rack and I love it, but on issue is that I can’t open the tailgate with no bikes on the rack without the tailgate hitting it.

Question: anyone have a tray style hitch rack that stays out of the way of the tailgate? I have the factory hitch for what it’s worth.
Mind if I ask which tonneau cover you got?
Sponsored