First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Working on adapting this ladder rack to fit around my soft topper. Think 3/16 aluminum plates would be stout enough to use as bed rail extensions?

I was leaning towards 1/8, but I worry it might be too thin and flex on me.. Just carrying kayaks, a diy road shower, and maybe an awning.

20200815_091430.jpg

Screenshot_20200814-110541_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I used 3/16 steel plate for mine.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/over-softopper-bed-rack-thing.8379/

as I was building it I found that the plates themselves will flex, but after the rack was welded up solid, and the rear cross brace bolted in place, the entire thing was extremely rigid.

So, I think 3/16 aluminum would be ok if the rest of the rack will be extremely rigid. otherwise you might want to go a bit thicker.

is it going to be a full rack, or just that bar at the front?

OP
OP
armoredpig

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I used 3/16 steel plate for mine.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/over-softopper-bed-rack-thing.8379/

as I was building it I found that the plates themselves will flex, but after the rack was welded up solid, and the rear cross brace bolted in place, the entire thing was extremely rigid.

So, I think 3/16 aluminum would be ok if the rest of the rack will be extremely rigid. otherwise you might want to go a bit thicker.

is it going to be a full rack, or just that bar at the front?
The rack is as pictured in the mfg photo, but there are two, front and rear. I am toying with the idea of turning it into a full rack, but welding aluminum is not something I can do.

I've already ordered 3/16 aluminum plate, so I guess I'll have to see how that goes. Your rack looks awesome!

Update: I ordered some 1/4 plate. If you're 3/16 steel flexes, my 3/16 aluminum will flop like a wet noodle Uber load! Thanks for the replies!!

Last edited:

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The rack is as pictured in the mfg photo, but there are two, front and rear. I am toying with the idea of turning it into a full rack, but welding aluminum is not something I can do.

I've already ordered 3/16 aluminum plate, so I guess I'll have to see how that goes. Your rack looks awesome!

Update: I ordered some 1/4 plate. If you're 3/16 steel flexes, my 3/16 aluminum will flop like a wet noodle Uber load! Thanks for the replies!!
I think aluminum is actually has less flexibility than steel, it just breaks a lot quicker. I have a feeling it'll work out, depending on how solid you can make the rest of it. Also depending on how it's actually clamped to the bed can make a big difference too. I think you can make it work though! good luck!

OP
OP
armoredpig

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I think aluminum is actually has less flexibility than steel, it just breaks a lot quicker. I have a feeling it'll work out, depending on how solid you can make the rest of it. Also depending on how it's actually clamped to the bed can make a big difference too. I think you can make it work though! good luck!
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going 1/4 just for my peace of mind now. What do you like to haul with your rack? Can you still retract the top?

I'm going to attach my top bars in a manner that allows me to detach then to fold my topper. I'm thinking clevis pins instead of the stupid set screws it comes with.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I think you should go 1/4” aluminum. The side/accessory plates on my bed rack are 3/16” and they flex a little bit with a mountain bike mounted on them.
1EEA6129-9745-4246-B163-B30AC0C91CBD.jpeg
Off topic but curious, why does everyone take the front wheel off their bikes when they transport them?

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm going 1/4 just for my peace of mind now. What do you like to haul with your rack? Can you still retract the top?

I'm going to attach my top bars in a manner that allows me to detach then to fold my topper. I'm thinking clevis pins instead of the stupid set screws it comes with.
to retract the top I have to remove the rear cross bar, which is just held on with two 1/2" bolts, and whatever else I end up having bolted to it, which is looking like it's gonna be an aluminum cargo platform. I've only had to fold up the topper maybe twice since I got it a year ago, so a little effort wasn't a big deal to me. I can still roll up the sides in and the back with no added difficulty.

as for the rack, all I've hauled with it so far is a small amount of lumber, but the intention is just to be able to throw camp gear up there and mount an awning. trying to keep it pretty light duty, though I think it's probably strong enough to carry a lot of weight

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Off topic but curious, why does everyone take the front wheel off their bikes when they transport them?
If you want to haul it upright, using a fork mount like the one I have is extremely stable and secure, much more so than strapping both wheels. There’s a full steel skewer and bolts holding the fork of the bike.

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a beefy rack. I altered it to allow the Softtopper to be retracted. This idea has been covered in several posts. I'm currently working on it to be overland use as well.

IMG_20200117_140327.jpg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Mine is a beefy rack. I altered it to allow the Softtopper to be retracted. This idea has been covered in several posts. I'm currently working on it to be overland use as well.

IMG_20200117_140327.jpg
This is what I should have done instead of a fiberglass topper.

I wonder what I could get for my leer.

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I have it off the truck for further tweaking.

OP
OP
armoredpig

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
This is what I should have done instead of a fiberglass topper.

I wonder what I could get for my leer.
I was toying with the idea of finding a used aluminum contractor cap and bed lining it for camping use. Can customize it a lot more than a soft top. But I dropped the idea when I found out tacoma caps (super common) are too long for our trucks.

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
So you need a camper for the Ranger?
Make a Flippac style addition to your Leer.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was toying with the idea of finding a used aluminum contractor cap and bed lining it for camping use. Can customize it a lot more than a soft top. But I dropped the idea when I found out tacoma caps (super common) are too long for our trucks.
same, and the chance of finding a used ranger specific aluminum canopy right now is practically 0.
Sponsored