Canoe Carrying Solutions

Troutfool

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford Ranger Lariat Soper cab
Boondox T-Bone bed extender. $200. It’s light weight “aluminum” and very easy to put on and take off.
The curve insures you won’t bottom out.
I’ve used it off-road with no problem.
Sponsored

Ken Klassen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Supercab 4x4
I think I have the 60" bars.

My 16ft canoe has enough rocker (and a tall enough stem) that I also need some roof support when I carry it. Can't get the crossbars high enough for the canoe to clear the roof, actually. I learned this the morning I was supposed to leave for a trip and had to work out an alternate transport method in the meantime. Going forward, I've decided to use those ubiquitous foam blocks to protect my roof rather than buying towers and a crossbar or buying a roof platform.
Thank you for the reply!
Yakima's web site recommends the 60" cross bars for the Ranger although I notice that someone else on this forum went with the 55" bars to reduce the overhangs.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the reply!
Yakima's web site recommends the 60" cross bars for the Ranger although I notice that someone else on this forum went with the 55" bars to reduce the overhangs.
I have 60" with my OverHaul HD rack. I am 90+% sure 55" would also fit, with very minimal overhang. In fact, I plan to try 55" when I swap in the Outpost HD rack in a few months.

Ken Klassen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Supercab 4x4
I have Embark installed so looks like Yakima is the only choice there. And Ford Canada has a not a bad price ADJUSTABLE BED RACK, FOR USE WITH EMBARK LS
Ford Canda pricing on this and other Yakima products is actually quite reasonable. Ford dealers, unfortunately, know little to nothing when you ask them about any details for the Yakima products in the Ford Canada online catalog of Ranger accessories.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2020 XLT 4x4 Sport
Ford Canda pricing on this and other Yakima products is actually quite reasonable. Ford dealers, unfortunately, know little to nothing when you ask them about any details for the Yakima products in the Ford Canada online catalog of Ranger accessories.
Yes, I called 2 dilaers and both said none in stockat at least in Ontario. Will go in person to ask if can be ordered.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yes, I called 2 dilaers and both said none in stockat at least in Ontario. Will go in person to ask if can be ordered.
Be prepared for a big no. Yakima's availability has been super spotty for the past year. I got lucky and found my rack in stock at a local shop. But I needed parts and waited SEVERAL months before they became available.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thinking now about combination Yakima LomgArm + Yakima Skyline towres + cross bars on top of my Embark.

Mr.Bateau

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Sport
I went with the Yakima Baseline roof rack, with the Yakima canoe mount. Overall I am very happy with the rack, it is well secured. I have a 15ft canoe mounted on it and I comfortably drove at highway speeds. The installation is simple once you figure it out, you just need to follow the instructions carefully. Once assembled, you can remove and attached the rack easily.

tempImage3ou9X9.png

tempImageR1liof.png

tempImagejYreoD.png

Ken Klassen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Supercab 4x4
I went with the Yakima Baseline roof rack, with the Yakima canoe mount. Overall I am very happy with the rack, it is well secured. I have a 15ft canoe mounted on it and I comfortably drove at highway speeds. The installation is simple once you figure it out, you just need to follow the instructions carefully. Once assembled, you can remove and attached the rack easily.

tempImage3ou9X9.png

tempImageR1liof.png

tempImagejYreoD.png
Thanks for sharing! Did you also go with Yakima's 16' heavy duty tie-down straps with the rubber covered buckles (SKU #8005006)? What (if anything) do you recommend to avoid chaffing the paint where the straps touch the front of the hood?

Mr.Bateau

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Sport
Thanks for sharing! Did you also go with Yakima's 16' heavy duty tie-down straps with the rubber covered buckles (SKU #8005006)? What (if anything) do you recommend to avoid chaffing the paint where the straps touch the front of the hood?
https://yakima.com/products/keelover

Hi,

I have the above kit which came with 2 of those Yakima heavy duty tie downs you mentioned, they are used to attach the canoe to the rack. The kit also includes 1 each bow and stern tie downs that are partially rubber coated. It protects the lower bumper, but for the hood I just laid down a few layers of Scotch painters tape. This is a quick and dirty solution that works well and leaves no residue if you are just leaving it there for less than a day, if you want a proper long term solution you would have to slip on some kind of rubber sleeve onto the straps. You can see in the pictures above I used both provided straps in the front and used 2 of my own straps for the rear just for added security.

Ken Klassen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Supercab 4x4
https://yakima.com/products/keelover

Hi,

I have the above kit which came with 2 of those Yakima heavy duty tie downs you mentioned, they are used to attach the canoe to the rack. The kit also includes 1 each bow and stern tie downs that are partially rubber coated. It protects the lower bumper, but for the hood I just laid down a few layers of Scotch painters tape. This is a quick and dirty solution that works well and leaves no residue if you are just leaving it there for less than a day, if you want a proper long term solution you would have to slip on some kind of rubber sleeve onto the straps. You can see in the pictures above I used both provided straps in the front and used 2 of my own straps for the rear just for added security.
Thanks for the info! I've ordered a Yakima Overhaul Bed Rack and will soon order a fancy (expensive) canoe. I don't want the canoe to become a missile on my first outing. Your advice is timely and appreciated.

Igor

First Name
Igor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up with Yakima Overhaul HD...
F69F02F5-2C47-4316-8955-1B76815A53C5.jpeg

92122725-6AA7-46CE-8F35-353317CF3A6B.jpeg

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Its pretty basic, but I have some old legs cut out of a pair of cotton coveralls that I wrap around the straps where they touch the paint, used them for years on many different trucks, basic but works.
Sponsored