Canoe Carrying Solutions

Deleted member 1634

What is all included in this setup? Can you fit 2 kayaks side by side upside down?
The bars are 59" so 2 kayaks would be no sweat.
We just put 2 kayaks side by side on ours. Slightly different setup but still the same idea. Our bars are 60" and they fit with room to spare. Could probably squeeze them on 50" bars (each kayak is 24" wide so theoretically it's possible), but the mounts would interfere with the support towers if I put them any closer together. I still have to play with it a bit though, so maybe I can get that to work.

IMG_20200604_190305420_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

jlarrabee104

First Name
Jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I decided on the short term to buy a bed-extender system. Went with the Yakima Longarm for its adjustability. The truck looks a little funny hauling around a 16' Canoe. Still looking for a system that lets me use my tonneau cover without spending $2000.
yakima_longarm.jpg
boydenlake_ranger.jpg

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I decided on the short term to buy a bed-extender system. Went with the Yakima Longarm for its adjustability. The truck looks a little funny hauling around a 16' Canoe. Still looking for a system that lets me use my tonneau cover without spending $2000.
yakima_longarm.jpg
boydenlake_ranger.jpg
A Larrabee in Maine, I used to know some of them. What part of Maine are you in?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I currently live in Downeast. (Eastport). From Southern Maine (Kennebunkport)
I spend most of my summer in Bethel near Sunday River. I worked at a defense contractor in MA with a Larrabee from Maine.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Hello all. Jumping in on this thread to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

I had a Yakima system on my WRX and I am not willing to sacrifice another beautiful canoe for a crappy system that will fall off at random. (SEE PHOTO).

My issue is that I use my tonneau cover on the daily so something roof mounted would be preferred.

0.jpg
That is a nice canoe!

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I purchase my Ranger to get my 12 ft 11 in kayak off my roof hahah! I just purchased a bed extender arm from Ebay for $79.00 (similar to jlarrabee104), put a flag on the end of the yak and problem solved!

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Finance Manager/ Sames Ford of Laredo
We ended up getting a set of standard Yakima roof racks for ours. Grand total of all the parts probably came out to at or just below $500. They're kind of a pain to put on and off, and they make noise when they're up there, but they work well at what they're supposed to.

I originally wanted to get the Yakima adjustable bed rack. But that doesn't allow you to have a normal tonneau cover, just their expensive retractable one, and a tonneau is a must for us. Plus that'll be more than your $500 budget as well.

IMG_20190610_213111450_HDR.jpg
Awesome respone!!! I came here looking for the exaction solution you’ve given. I’ve got a Ford Tri-Fold tonneau cover on my Ranger. I’m just now getting into Kayaking. Haven’t purchased a Yak yet because I wasn’t sure what was in the market for transport. But thank you much!

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
For anyone looking for other solutions, check out the Sea Eagle Inflatables. I’ve had two, a 77 given to me by my Father-in-Law that lasted up until last year and a newer one I still use.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
80D7F6C4-8512-4E5B-8010-907CD0F5C356.jpeg
I’m using the cheap bed extender from harbor freight with my 12’ kayak and it’s super convenient. I just zip-tied some 3” foam from hobby lobby to the bar for some padding.
Nice Ranger bud. Wheels looks great. ??

Troutfool

First Name
Domenico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford Ranger Lariat Soper cab
Hey Ranger Lovers!

I pick up my XL 4x4 STX Crew tomorrow. The one item I haven't been able to figure out how I'm going to carry is my 14 foot canoe.

I need to keep the price below $500 and I obviously want to squeeze as much functionality out of it as possible.

What do y'all recommend as a solution?
[/QUOTE

i Carry my 1 ft canoe in the bed of my Ranger. I bought a
“T-Bone bed extender “that works great. Very easy to load.
i Take it off road, the extender curves. So no worries hitting bottom.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I always used foam blocks and ratchet straps. Total cost $35.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, I took a leap today. Went to Academy to pick up a lock for my sons bike and came across a 13ft tandem Kayak. So I pulled the trigger. I quickly realized I needed to find a way to mount this behemoth to my truck ??. Luckily they offered a Bed Extender. I was pretty stoked about it until I got home and played with the mounting. With where Ford placed the antenna on the rear of the cab, how can using the bed extender in the overhead position work? I’d love to be able to used the bed space for gear/ tent/ cooler/ etc. It’s probably important to mention that I have a Tri-Fold Tonneau cover as well that I’d like to not have to remove. Does anyone have any photos/ write up of what they used to accomplish this? TIA! ??????

0AA4BD95-9F70-477B-8961-53954BEB4F74.jpeg
Sponsored