Cap vs camper shell vs topper regional terminology

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
WA State, pretty sure most people call it a Canopy here (but I could be totally wrong). I'm still waiting for mine to show up. Couple more weeks!
Born and raised in WA and I only ever heard it called a canopy while growing up.

And I'm not big on sweet drinks, but I did drink plenty of pop in my childhood.
Sponsored

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Florida here. I've always called it a topper. But I've heard all the other terms as well. In the age of the internet the lines get blurred a lot more. Mine is technically a camper shell though since I bought it for camping in!

Also; A.R.E. and Leer call them "Truck Caps" on their websites so I suppose that would be the official name for them.

Also; the dealer I bought mine from deals with A.R.E., Leer and Ranch. The shop is called "Truck Tops and More" and they refer to them on the website as "toppers".

Hope that cleared things up! :LOL:

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Missouri here and they are camper shells.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Iā€™m heading out to CarMax this weekend and might sell the Ranger, if so I could probably part with the cap first.
In my experience you will get the most for it if you trade it in on another, just a timing issue, if you know the sale is 100 percent a done deal, trade or sell it first. With CarMax that will force your hand. I made the mistake of trading in my truck with the understanding that the shell was mine to keep. Once deal was done dealer would not let me off the lot with my old truck to sell or trade the shell. I had to rent a Home Deport flat bed to transport it. The old shell was too big for my Ranger (even to transport ) without scratching it. Lesson learned and now shared lol

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
After joining another ranger forum a year or so ago.. I was enlightened to the fact that not everyone calls a cap... a cap. Some of you (wierdos) call them camper shells, or toppers.

This made me uncomfortable honestly.. like the people who call a driveshaft a drive line.. wtf?

Its clearly a regional thing... it must be.. right?

So... where are you from... and what do you call a truck cap?

I'll start. I'm from Maine, and we call it what it's supposed to be called.. a cap.

Your turn!

I.apologize for the nonsense BTW.. one too many Irish car bombs for me tonifht.. which was one...

I don't drink lol. More of a grass man. This is why.
I'm from California, spent quite a bit of time in the midwest over the years. Shell & cap work for me. "Topper" just seems...odd, like it's that chocolate stuff we used to put on ice cream that would harden. And "camper shell" doesn't make sense to me if it's not actually a camper.

Century, where my current one came from, calls them caps. Leer does too (same caps, in fact), but their Google code will display the following when you search for them: "LEER Truck Caps, Toppers and Camper Shells". A.R.E calls them caps, too.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Northeast PA here. Been in the "cap" industry since 1971. Mostly called truck cap around here.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
We call it a topper in Wva also. I just ordered a Leer 100XL now the wait is on to get it.
Topper (2).jpg

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Grew up in ft collins, co. Called them pops. Still do.
Now live in south texas, Brownsville area, and everything is a coke???!!!???
And its a camper shell.
When I was growing up, everything was ā€œa Cokeā€. Didnā€™t matter if it was Sprite, grape drink, or Pepsi. That was just normal to us. :giggle:

And we called them camper shells.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
When I was growing up, everything was ā€œa Cokeā€. Didnā€™t matter if it was Sprite, grape drink, or Pepsi. That was just normal to us. :giggle:

And we called them camper shells.
Kids in Minnesota called everything a Coke, too. In Wisconsin of course, it was "pap" (pop) or maybe a "soda pap".

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I bought mine from Canopy Corner.
As far back as I remember. Where I grew up in California and where I live now in Oregon, I've always called them truck canopies.

Gdub

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have lived in California most of my life after growing up in Kansas. I call mine a camper shell. My brothers, who still live in Kansas, call them toppers. One of my brothers works for a company that builds them.

Mine actually is a camper. The top flips over to the side and a tent poops up. So, I think it actually qualifies as a camper shell. If they are not a camper, I usually just call it a shell. A cap, to me, is basically a tonneau cover.

Wildernest Ranger R.jpg

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Canopy in PNW. Dealers have ā€˜Canopyā€™ in their name. Never heard them called anything else until I visited truck forums, lol.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Grew up in Texas, spent most of my life in Alaska, now in Kansas. Iā€™ve heard it called all kinds of things in all 3 places. I grew up calling it a camper shell or just shell. A cap was a tonneau. Topper was introduced to me by my wife, and I think she picked that up from her time in Nebraska. Never called a canopy. Thatā€™s something a whole goes under, not just a part. Call them what you want. Usually the context will clear up what is said, but certainly not always. And yes, Iā€˜ve camped and even lived in them between houses. Never for more than two or three months at a time though.
Sponsored