Topper Shell

Discussion in 'Exterior Mods' started by uthunter, Oct 22, 2018.

1. uthunter

uthunter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-350 CC & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Is anybody else planning on a topper shell for their Ranger?

I went into the Leer dealer in our town and he's telling my 4-9 months... hoping somebody else has better news. Maybe from a different manufacturer?

2. ajvester

ajvester Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tundra
    I am wondering the same thing. Hopefully, they can use the molds for the global version and get them out faster.

3. ajvester

ajvester Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tundra
    I emailed ARE this :
    For the SEMA show, ARE is exhibiting a 2019 Ford Ranger (US Spec) with the CX Revo cap. When will caps for this vehicle be available for order? I have a new Ranger on pre-order and expect to take delivery this spring. I would like to get a cap ordered soon after delivery.​

They responded with no answer really.

Hello ajvester,

Thank You for inquiring about A.R.E truck Caps. We do not have a release date for this model truck as of now. Our engineers are working very hard on this to make it happen soon. All the local dealers will be updated of this info when it is released.

Thank You

A.R.EJ

Administrator and uthunter like this.
  4. JYC

JYC Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 4Runner
    I've seen ARE Z series vs Leer caps for Ford and I preferred the ARE because they required less attachment hardware going through the rear glass. It's been a few years though so maybe Leer design has changed.

5. uthunter

uthunter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 F-350 CC & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
    Looking at the other ARE CX Revo caps, the rear window and side windows look pretty good.

6. spudlips

spudlips Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford SuperCrew Lariat 4x4 - FX4, Sport, 501A, Trailer Towing, spray bed, etc
    I had also contacted LEER, specifically about their 100XQ. I just received a response that “a number of outstanding” LEER caps will be available in April. However the 100XQ will not be one of them. I’m thinking A.R.E. CX Revo if that becomes available.

7. RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
    I'll be ordering an A.R.E. when I sell off my 95.

8. RIRed

RIRed Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    I'm looking at the Bestop soft topper shell. They have the "supertop for truck 2" that's made for the GM twins. They say other models are being added quickly. Haven't called them yet, waiting for my truck to be delivered.

9. WVmanowar

WVmanowar Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    not a truck
    ...not sure where it was from, but I saw a foreign version where you could access from the driver's side, but instead of lifting the side window up, this one lifted the whole side.

I had an ARE on my Sport Trac and it was a great fit.

I've seen some camper tops that don't seem to match up well with the top of the truck bud or the bed on other trucks. The foreign version seemed to slope down toward the front...not ideal. I might have to stick with ARE, but like the idea of side access.

10. djrobb

djrobb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
    D4664DA6-E25A-464E-BFC3-985AC0C96093.jpeg ARE on my Tacoma, which I just sold yesterday was excellent in every way.
    E7C05363-32CC-43E5-8B89-46CF727B00B6.jpeg
    8CFC24AF-4F62-439E-9061-C5A4311B48EF.jpeg

11. PhysSDK

PhysSDK Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
    I wonder if snugtop will be out with one soon. They used to produce shells for the global ranger and export them, should be simple for them assuming the bed dimensions are exactly the same.

12. bandit67

bandit67 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2011 F250, 2015 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
    Ford Internet Sales
    I have an ARE V series (cab high) with the aluminum frame windows and full width hinge rear door, on order. It should be in by May, I'm told. The CX REVO is very cool looking, but my concern was long term durability of the frameless windows and dual hinge rear glass over years of off-roading.

I currently have an ARE TW on my F250, and the aluminum frame windows and full width hinge rear door have held up to 8 years of abuse, being taken on and off the truck, getting beat up on washboard forest service roads, etc. The F250 suspension beats the hell out of everything. Also, my brother has an ARE MX series on his rock crawler setup Tacoma, with those same aluminum frame windows and full width hinge rear door, and it's been taking serious off-road beatings for years.