Can someone explain to me the need for a Braking Controller?

OP
OP
RangerDangerStranger

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Can this be disabled just when towing, or do you manually have to disable every time. Will this turn off active cruise control too?
I believe, Once you disable it, it stays disabled. I don't think you can use active cruise control without the Ford installed trailer brake unit. If you're going to tow alot, I would just get the Ford one installed.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Trucks have ben sold for years without an integrated brake controller. It wasn't until the early 2000's that Ford offered one as an option, if memory serves they were the first to do so. It was an additional option in addition to the trailer tow package on my '06 F-350.
A rental U Haul type trailer has a surge brake system so no controller is needed for the "unknowing housewife" moving the family goods across country.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Trucks have ben sold for years without an integrated brake controller. It wasn't until the early 2000's that Ford offered one as an option, if memory serves they were the first to do so. It was an additional option in addition to the trailer tow package on my '06 F-350.
A rental U Haul type trailer has a surge brake system so no controller is needed for the "unknowing housewife" moving the family goods across country.
I'm still new and catching up, so please excuse the old thread revival.

If the Ranger's tow package included a port to hook up any aftermarket controller as found in full size trucks I could see not including it, maybe someone has a controller they really like or planned to move one between vehicles with the trailer it is configured for. But the Ranger has 1 approved controller for models with adaptive brakes and such. When there is 1 option I feel it should be included, even if the option cost more, it would be less work to install when the truck is being built than all the dealers having to do it later.

I'm still not sure why you have to route the wiring to the 3rd brake light, doesn't the wires that go there come from the BCM? Or, is there a HMSL control module near the light that just watches for brake light signal on CAN network? I'm not planning on having the dealer install it any different, but getting the headliner down seems like a lot of work if the wires are under the dash where you are already working, again that level of work makes factory installed much easier.

1650lb towing without that controller is a bit of a joke, Ford EU rates the mk3 Focus higher than that.

And yes, the vehicle operator needs to be familiar with the manual of the vehicle they operate and the laws where they do so. Ford not including the controller is not an excuse for a vehicle operator towing a trailer beyond the rated load without one.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
First, instead of offering wives as the poor, helpless simps, how about just saying "uneducated" drivers. I know dozens of wives/women that are more capable at driving and towing than most the male drivers on the road.

Second, trailer brakes are fairly low on my list of trailer hooking and hauling recommended skills before hitting the road. Find someone with experience who can teach you, or pay an expert for training.

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
My thought is that i want to be as far into the safe zone as possible when doing anything potentially deadly. I got the Tow package and if it weren't for this forum, i would of assumed i had a 7500# towing capacity. Think about it this way, if your headed down a long steep grade towing 6500 lbs trailer in rain and icy conditions, would you rather have your 'Expertise', or a trailer controller? Ford is doing the idiot shady thing here, to save about 75 bucks a truck with the optional tow package. they will probably get sued, and it will cost them 10's if not 100's of millions of dollars, and basically it should. If you say it tows 7500#s in the description, then bury the necessity for an optional tow controller deep into the fine print of the manual, your risking the lives of your customers that are trusting you, and if they get hurt, Ford should be punished for it. So, unless your an 'Expert' drill rig roughneck super tower, get the controller. If you have the tow package, it's an easy install, not sure if non equipped trucks have the wiring in the foot well. Also, my take is that if you install a non Ford controller, like my Redarc, go to the menus and disable 'automatic emerg braking' It's a check box option. You'll just have to keep your eyes on the road!
I'll take an experienced, responsible driver in that situation every single time. An unskilled, inexperienced driver won't recognize danger signs or know how to deal with an emergency if one arises until it's too late. Mechanical failures happen as well.

Experience will have you approaching that situation slower and more prepared for the potential problems, before they happen.

How to load and balance the trailer is also a big factor in pulling a trailer, especially when you are nearing the limits of either vehicle.

Using you gun example, just because you have have shot your grampas 12G bird gun a few times, doesn't mean you should go buy a pistol or sporting rifle and believe you are capable, even though legal.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
oh yeah? How many military wives have to load up a truck and cross country towing a trailer? Hey look, the big connector fits right in! You think the HS Kid at uhaul is gonna know That ford cheaped out, or at least provide a warning sticker. When they pull people out of the wreckage, i hope someone is left to sue.
U-Haul equips their trailers with surge brakes for this very reason.

It's idiot proof, and as you have proven, the Ranger is not.

I'm still not sure why you have to route the wiring to the 3rd brake light, doesn't the wires that go there come from the BCM? Or, is there a HMSL control module near the light that just watches for brake light signal on CAN network? I'm not planning on having the dealer install it any different, but getting the headliner down seems like a lot of work if the wires are under the dash where you are already working, again that level of work makes factory installed much easier.
You can tap into the signal at the BCM. Others have posted the proper wire to splice onto.

However, the Ford controller has a t-connector that inserts in-between the connectors at the CHMSL. This allows you to install without splicing.
Sponsored