Broken Hose in Engine - Help

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
With the factory hose being formed, I'm curious what kind of lateral pressure is being exerted on that assembly by using non formed hose? I've never seen that part dissected, so no clue, just curious.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fazzie01

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Why did they use hose instead of something more durable, or even just metal?
Now don't you start with this 'logic' non-sense! Some intern probably bought 4,000 ft of hose instead of inches and they had to use it for something.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Hey mom, where’s dad? His phone’s here but I can’t find him.

He’s out in the garage.

Okay, hmm, FordPass, huh? I wonder what this button does…

😳
Does the Ford Pass work with hood open 🤔, it shouldn't, but it might... I'll test it while I'm out here...

Nope , cannot remote start with hood open...

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Does the Ford Pass work with hood open 🤔, it shouldn't, but it might... I'll test it while I'm out here...

Actually, I just recently discovered that myself, I had opened the the hood to clean the air filter and must not have closed it all the way. The next morning I went to start it with the app and it said something like "cannot start, hood open."

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
With the factory hose being formed, I'm curious what kind of lateral pressure is being exerted on that assembly by using non formed hose? I've never seen that part dissected, so no clue, just curious.
Use this formula to determine.....
E=MC2

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
If you disconnect the hose the module just free floats - you can move it side to side with ease.
(Engine Off)

With the engine running there is not much force being applied (rotational force) towards the engine bracket (mounting nipple)
The module rides on the shaft (spinning) between the back of the clutch and the mounting nut

I VERY Carefully snaked my hand down to the module with it running and rocked it back and forth, all that I feel is the slight vibration of the shaft spinning in the module.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS - It is dangerous procedure.

My thoughts on this are that if anything (small stone or debris) gets caught between the module and the back of the fan clutch it may cause the module to wedge and then grab and make it want to spin with the fan. (Ripping the Wire Harness) as it spins.
or
Fan Clutch (Bearing) wear causes the Clutch to rock backwards, sandwiching (wedging) the module and causing it to grab.
or
Wear on the Race of the module (Riding on the Shaft), causing it to grab and spin.
There does not appear to have any kind of bearing at this point.

I have yet to determine the design reasoning for the flexible hose vs a solid mount except to allow some movement (free float) of rotational force.

OP
OP
Fazzie01

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer

Wow. It is good to know that. Thanks!

I'll still probably unplug it when dealing with spinning things... :crackup:

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
What is the length on that piece of hose? Pre-emptive fix about to happen...
As long as you get somewhere close to the OE length, I don't think it matters.
The OE hose is a formed hose, and cannot be purchased separately from Ford, it is part of the Fan Clutch assembly.
So, you have to have a little longer hose to fabricate a replacement.

At one point I thought it was imperative to have an exact match and get the module in the exact mounting position but decided that was not necessary as the module is just a Hall Effect Sensor.
It is picking up rotation speed of the fan from the back of the clutch.
Fan Speed Sensor - it uses this input to tell the PCM what the speed is and then the PCM uses that input to (PWM- Pulse Width Modulate) the internal fluid movement for the actual speed control.

So as far as I can tell, hose length will determine the actual resting position of the module, but it does not affect the actual job of the module as it will still pick up rotational speed.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
If I can turn on my truck from the internet, anyone can... Now I'm not paranoid, but common sense seems appropriate in this situation.
“Is he walking towards his Ranger?”

IMG_9108.gif

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I was sure mine would crumble into dust if I squeezed it but...looks and feel like new...117K miles...amazing!

IMG_9137.JPG

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If you disconnect the hose the module just free floats - you can move it side to side with ease.
(Engine Off)

With the engine running there is not much force being applied (rotational force) towards the engine bracket (mounting nipple)
The module rides on the shaft (spinning) between the back of the clutch and the mounting nut

I VERY Carefully snaked my hand down to the module with it running and rocked it back and forth, all that I feel is the slight vibration of the shaft spinning in the module.
PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS - It is dangerous procedure.

My thoughts on this are that if anything (small stone or debris) gets caught between the module and the back of the fan clutch it may cause the module to wedge and then grab and make it want to spin with the fan. (Ripping the Wire Harness) as it spins.
or
Fan Clutch (Bearing) wear causes the Clutch to rock backwards, sandwiching (wedging) the module and causing it to grab.
or
Wear on the Race of the module (Riding on the Shaft), causing it to grab and spin.
There does not appear to have any kind of bearing at this point.

I have yet to determine the design reasoning for the flexible hose vs a solid mount except to allow some movement (free float) of rotational force.
I puckered just reading this. If you do that again, maybe ask @RedlandRanger to reserve @LeftyTech for you.