First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
How in the world is water getting down there in the first place, are you guys washing and hosing down the engine bay..
In my case I drove through a heavy rainstorm at highway speeds. The seals on 2 of the coil pack assembles did not keep the water out. These pictures show the result of corrosion after about 1 week after the water incursion. I was out of town and did not have my tools with me, so changing coil packs and plugs had to wait until I got home.

921DFCE5-FE66-4271-9A11-81EA3F88B463.jpeg

D0AC800F-D3D4-4AB0-B930-568C28C03133.jpeg

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
2 Days ago the my 2019 XLT FX4 threw a CEL and started bucking under ANY attempt at acceleration. I made an appointment and dropped it off at the service dept this morning and 4 hours later they tell me one of my coil packs failed. Has anyone heard of this happening on their Ranger? Coil packs tend to be super reliable. Its really weird for one to fail. The truck doesnt have alot of miles on it because of 2020 Covid restrictions and other than some very light usage of gravel roads I havent had a chance to do much offroad use. Basically no real wear and tear.

Such an odd failure.

Also because coil packs are super reliable the dealer didnt have one in stock. So it'll be a day or two. Very odd.

Makes me think about aftermarket hardware. On older WRX's there was plenty of quality aftermarket selection for things like coil packs. And not once did I hear about abject failures like you have to deal with with OEM parts.

If I take this truck overlanding do I need to pack a couple of spare coil packs to be safe?
Part of the reason I'm on this forum and in a 21 Ranger is because the 22 Frontier I had for less than a week fried not one, but two ignition coils in 200 miles. Dealer took it back and I'm happy now. I just think global sourcing is a mess so quality, both foreign and domestic, is a crapshoot. It's not just Ford!

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
My 07 f150 ate coils like candy. At 35,000 miles it had all 8 replaced.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Heck I found a set of 8 Chinese knockoffs for my 05 f150 for less than what ford and auto part stores wanted for 1. They all worked great for 30k miles until I sold it.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
What i carry, just in case

And an extra damper!!

Don't know how i parallel park

85d368933f6ae86a0c4248ecb3923732--trailer-organization-trailer-storage.jpg

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
Mazda RX-8 is the absolute worst ...
My 2004 only has 38K miles on it.....
I have replaced all four twice.....
Low voltage starts kill coil packs....

Big B

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Safety
How in the world is water getting down there in the first place, are you guys washing and hosing down the engine bay..
I haven’t washed the engine bay. But when I replaced the coil and plug it was completely full of water (number 1 cylinder). Our local Ford dealership tried to tell me it was because condensation comes up from the intercooler and causes the issue, this was of course after I had gone in and argued with them three times before it was fixed!
Sponsored