Bilstein 5100's installed. Love it

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Got the Bilstein 5100 shocks installed and took the Ranger out for a cruise over different types of road. Freeway and narrow residential and through some not so good secondary roads. This truck rides and drives totally differently. The Ranger wallow as I call it is gone and on the freeway it stays in the lane and isn't prone to drift after a dip in the pavement. Yes the ride itself is a bit stiffer but the bounce is gone and I don't feel like I'm on a rollercoaster.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Did you replace just the rear shocks?

HotRod

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 2WD
Occupation
Rehabilitation Facilities Manager
No front and back. What a difference it made
Is this the kit from stage 3 motor sports? I have been considering this but I have a xlt 2wd and the kit is listed for 4wd. I see you have a 2wd as well. Any info woll be appreciated, thanks.

TXFX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic 302A FX2
Is this the kit from stage 3 motor sports? I have been considering this but I have a xlt 2wd and the kit is listed for 4wd. I see you have a 2wd as well. Any info woll be appreciated, thanks.
My shop ordered the parts directly for Bilstein but they should have the same part numbers as Stage3. I have a 2wd as well and it really doesn't make a difference, if anything its easy without the 4wd system.

I thought I was going to love the leveled appearance the most but the ride improvement steals the show. Makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive.

OP
OP
stringbreaker

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Mine is 4x4 The shop that installed them ordered direct not sure from where.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Got the Bilstein 5100 shocks installed and took the Ranger out for a cruise over different types of road. Freeway and narrow residential and through some not so good secondary roads. This truck rides and drives totally differently. The Ranger wallow as I call it is gone and on the freeway it stays in the lane and isn't prone to drift after a dip in the pavement. Yes the ride itself is a bit stiffer but the bounce is gone and I don't feel like I'm on a rollercoaster.
This is next for me! Had these on my 2008 Tundra and 2011 F150 and loved them.

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
My shop ordered the parts directly for Bilstein but they should have the same part numbers as Stage3. I have a 2wd as well and it really doesn't make a difference, if anything its easy without the 4wd system.

I thought I was going to love the leveled appearance the most but the ride improvement steals the show. Makes the truck much more enjoyable to drive.
What do you mean by levelled appearance. Shocks alone don't change that.
Did you have the front end lifted or the rear end lowered?
I had Bilsteins on my 2012 Frontier and also liked the shocks!

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Nice.
Did you keep the stock ride height, and if not, which height did you choose?

Thanks!

TXFX2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Metallic 302A FX2
What do you mean by levelled appearance. Shocks alone don't change that.
Did you have the front end lifted or the rear end lowered?
I had Bilsteins on my 2012 Frontier and also liked the shocks!
The front shocks for the Bilstein kit have notches that allow the stock spring to sit higher. It goes anywhere from stock front ride height to about 2.5 inches of lift. With the install I had the front end lifted to level out the rake.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Well I am going to see if Americas Tire will do that for me too. I have bought tires from them for many years and they treat me right.

Thanks,

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Les Schwab quoted me $783.35 for install of the front and rear Bilstein 5100's including alignment and cost of the shocks. I am doing it next month. :like:

Reactions: EJH

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Les Schwab quoted me $783.35 for install of the front and rear Bilstein 5100's including alignment and cost of the shocks. I am doing it next month. :like:
thats a great price. I paid 4 something for the shocks and so far the lowest price to install everything was 400. not counting alignment. and that was the forum friend price lol. with the gas prices gone insane i havent been able to get it done. sadly all the goodies are still in the boxes. :confused:

The Last Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just installed a set of Bilstein 5100 in the rear of my 21 FX4 lariat with only 1300 miles on it. I've read most of the articles here and pulled the trigger because of Stage3 4th of July sale. I installed without removing the tires or jacking the rear. I started on the fun side the passenger side and put a piece of 4x6" 1/2 inch grey foam packing material I saved from a box and stuffed it behind the nut and kept pulling on the bolt as I loosened and the nut stayed in place. After that everything was a breeze. I haven't ridden it yet but the height stayed the same for the moment. What I did do that helped immensely was use two 24" tie wraps from Harbor freight and they gave me the 20.5 inches I measured when I compressed the new Bilsteins. And no I didn't time myself because at almost 68 I did't care how long it took but mostly care that the jobs done right, such as torqued to spec 52lbs. and used blue thread locker. Sitting currently and resting but I will take a ride soon but I expect to love the new setup as many others do, hope this witeup helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: